1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Lands' End Canvas

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by moosy, Nov 12, 2009.

1. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  2. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Well-Known Member

3. bl@ster

bl@ster Well-Known Member

4. narm60

narm60 Well-Known Member

The stitching on the bottom is for attaching the sole to the upper, you're not going to see welt threads on the bottom of any shoe

5. bl@ster

Sorry, but that statement is false. It's visible on many Allen Emonds, Alden, etc.

6. narcissism

narcissism Well-Known Member

I am by no means an expert, but I don't think welt stitching needs to be necessarily visible on the sole for it to be considered Goodyear welt construction.

Based on the price of those shoes alone, $120, I wouldn't say that they are Goodyear welted.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  7. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Well-Known Member

Don't buy shoes from Lands End.

8. bl@ster

It's not necessary, but sometimes a clue. When you see the stitching stop like it does in the picture it's often a way for lesser shoe makers to fool people into thinking it's a proper stitch. Often the stitch like this isn't even't connected to anthing, it's all aesthetic.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  9. narm60

narm60 Well-Known Member

Well I'm no expert either, but it's typical to have 2 separate threads. Upper sewed to welt, then sole sewed to welt. Check out one of the many shoe construction videos (Allen Edmunds has a few on youtube) to see how this is done.

A 360 degree welt'd shoe isn't going to have threads showing out of its 2" heel, anyway, that'd be silly. Heels are cemented/nailed to the sole after it's attached.

This is neither here nor there though, as Johdus says, don't buy shoes from LEC =]

10. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Well-Known Member

Bought a pair of LEC canvas sneakers last year when they were $10 or something. Most uncomfortable pos I've ever had the displeasure of wearing. Long live PF Flyers.

11. gymman

gymman Member

I took advantage of the recent sale and bought 2 shirts. They fit pretty well. Unfortunately, one of the shirts is longer on the right button side, by about a quarter of an inch. I doubt anyone else would notice but it bothers me. Aside from that problem, I like the shirt.

12. David Zaritsky

David Zaritsky Well-Known Member

Double Breasted Shawl Collar Sweater from Spring Line:

13. narcissism

narcissism Well-Known Member

Thanks for this David! I was thinking about buying this. What size did you end up buying?

14. Batistuta

Batistuta Well-Known Member

So what did you think of the boot? TTS or did you size down?

Cheers.

15. David Zaritsky

Bought a small in the sweater...and keeping the boots for now but they are on the edge of being returned...

16. gort

gort Well-Known Member

I got the Men's Vintage Dobby Shirt with last week's coupon, I really like it a ton. Wishing they had more than just the one color.

17. Saul Silver

Saul Silver Well-Known Member

I'm short on cash right now and am looking at the down jacket - does anyone have any recommendations on sizing/quality? I'm 5'10", 165 lbs and am usually a small/medium.

18. David Zaritsky

19. runner-guy

runner-guy Well-Known Member

Recently bought the Chambray Workshirt in blue for $17, the Heavyweight Oxford in white for $20, and a V-Neck Heritage T-Shirt for $4.

20. ledude

ledude Well-Known Member

Got a plaid workshirt, the one with the funny collar button, for something like $14, I think it was. I like it a lot, collar included — it's probably my new second-favorite casual shirt, in fact.