1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Lands' End Canvas

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by moosy, Nov 12, 2009.

1. a-rock

a-rock Well-Known Member

Made the mistake of walking into a just-opened Canvas store recently and was pinned down by what I took to be a roaming exec:

E: What do you think of the new collection?
    me: It's nice. A little basic for me though.
    E: But it's GOOD basic, right?
    me: um, sure.
    E: That's good, because you're a target customer.
    [​IMG]

What's wrong with shopping at Target??

2. a-rock

a-rock Well-Known Member

If I understand correctly people are saying these run short (arms and body length) then JCrew's stuff does? I want to get the Chambray shirt, but if these run short then I will pass. An XL JCrew is a tad short on my arms as it is.

The sleeves are a tad shorter than JCrew but I can't imagine enough to make the shirt unwearable vs JCrew. The arms are definitely slimmer.

Anyone have any experience after several washes yet? That might be a difference maker as my JCrew, at least the Secret Wash stuff, doesn't shrink too much.

3. Dewey

Dewey Well-Known Member

^^^

You should've told him that the whole internet agreed his store fails at collars.

+1

4. MarketOpportunity

MarketOpportunity Member

What's wrong with shopping at Target??

Assume you were joking - target customer as in intended customer - not sure their exact criteria, but age, build, interest in style, etc.

5. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Well-Known Member

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    The sleeves are a tad shorter than JCrew but I can't imagine enough to make the shirt unwearable vs JCrew. The arms are definitely slimmer.

Anyone have any experience after several washes yet? That might be a difference maker as my JCrew, at least the Secret Wash stuff, doesn't shrink too much.

Slimmer is nice, but I need length. A tad shorter is too sort. [​IMG]

6. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Well-Known Member

Anybody got actual measurements for a L and XL button down longsleeve shirt? I am interested mostly in sleeve lengths, chest and waist.

7. slide13

slide13 Well-Known Member

I was out running errands in Madison today and found myself near a Lands End Inlet...their version of an outlet store. I decided to stop in to see if they had any Canvas stuff and on the "back rack" of weird closeout items I did find two chambray shirts that must be pre-production versions of the Canvas ones (unless LE did shirts almost exactly like the Canvas ones at one tiem). Material feels the same and overall design of the pockets and the unique pieced sleeves are the same but there are some cool differences. These were tagged Lands End and fit more like a LE item then Canvas. I'm a XL in canvas and the black L I got is a great fit and the blue XL is on the big side but for the $12 each they cost me I figured what the hell.

First the collar is bigger and holds it's shape better, not as soft or floppy as the canvas version. Also this is much darker then my grey Canvas chambray. Similar feel to material but this is more a black chambray then a grey.
    [​IMG]

It also has a button on the back...not sure what this is actually called but I think its a cool feature.
    [​IMG]

The sleeve has double buttons as well. On this shirt they are also more "pearl" like rather then the white plastic. The blue shirt I picked up has the buttons from the Canvas lines but is otherwise the same as this one.
    [​IMG]

Finally this doesn't have the hidden lower button like the Canvas shirts do.
    [​IMG]

Also found out we have a Canvas store downtown so I stopped by there while I was out and picked up a navy blue henley. I really like the material and the fit is good for me but probably not slip enough for most folks here I'm guessing. Overall the store was ok...layout and decor was still lacking something...it was Lands End trying to be cool and trendy but you still had a bit of the LE feel.

8. Tarmac

Tarmac Well-Known Member

That's pretty cool.

I have to say I am reaching for my Canvas grey BDC more than any other shirt these days. I would wear it several days in a row if I could. I think the fit is spot on for me, other people YMMV.

9. slide13

slide13 Well-Known Member

I agree, I love mine, they are definitely my favorite shirts right now. Comfortable, nice fit, good looking and cheap to the point I just don't worry about wearing them for anything and everything.

Also, after washing, my two new shirts are actually of a slightly thicker/coarser feeling fabric. Not drastically different but when compared side by side you can certainly feel it (both old and new have been washed once now so that isn't a factor).

10. everybodynobody

everybodynobody Well-Known Member

I ordered one of the Oxford shirts and don't understand what's so great about them. Paper thin fabric, not cut long enough, the aforementioned collars, and comes in undie packaging! You guys have to be joking.

11. Meis

Meis Well-Known Member

I ordered one of the Oxford shirts and don't understand what's so great about them. Paper thin fabric, not cut long enough, the aforementioned collars, and comes in undie packaging! You guys have to be joking.

Cut too short? Well that's a matter of opinion... also, I think they're cut short because they're meant to be worn untucked. As for the rest: like you said, its a $30 shirt, what did you expect? The stuff is decent enough quality for as cheap as it is, and people are buying it as beaters, not in place of their BOO or RRL or etc shirts.

12. a-rock

a-rock Well-Known Member

Having 32 sleeves, I'm glad there's finally a cheap off-the-rack option for me in this aesthetic that doesn't require tailoring or MTM. Might not be everyone's cup of tea but Canvas has one happy customer here.

13. cicero79

cicero79 Well-Known Member

Any updates on coupon codes such as free shipping or discounts otherwise?

14. nerdykarim

nerdykarim Well-Known Member

Any updates on coupon codes such as free shipping or discounts otherwise?

I think it expires at midnight:

15. cicero79

cicero79 Well-Known Member

Hey, just checking again to see if there were any upcoming free shipping or savings code coming up

16. srivats

srivats Well-Known Member

Did anyone here buy the polos? If I wear a size small in the chambray, should I get small or medium in the polos? How is the length - can they be worn untucked?

17. mookiej

mookiej Well-Known Member

Hey, just checking again to see if there were any upcoming free shipping or savings code coming up

the only coupon code i could find is for free standard shipping, no minimum:

Code: DEC31
    PIN 00007087

18. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Well-Known Member

Bump

To anyone interested there's a 20% off + free shipping code
    I'm thinking about what I should buy but I don't really have any experience with this stuff in terms of quality of sizing.

19. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Well-Known Member

Alright so with that code I'm thinking of picking up a shirt or 2. Can anyone comment on the 'Heritage Poplin', 'Men's Poplin' or 'Heritage Oxford'? Is the chambray worth picking up?

20. blynch

blynch Well-Known Member

I have the heritage oxford and the chambray, really dislike the buttons on the chambray might change them out so I'd actually wear it. Shirts are good for what you pay, but even jcrew is better quality.

Thanks for the code, I just used it to ordered the blue Heritage work shirt and a v-neck t.