1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Labels you grown to love, hate, and desire

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by big balla, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Mike C.

Mike C. Well-Known Member

IMO Prada is absolute crap. I've had things literally fall apart from them. All the lines are grossly overpriced, however I like their innovation with synthetic materials; but still not worth the price.

My current favorites are Dior Homme and DSquared. Both labels are innovators in an industry where so much is rehashed. Gucci doing the Urban Cowbay thing yet again is evidence enough.

2. A Harris

A Harris Well-Known Member

This is an interesting take, as I've always felt that there is a good measure of flash in Kiton's clothes. Especially the ties.

3. FCS

FCS Well-Known Member

The majority of the ties are rather boring for my taste, but saw several that are very attractive, for example: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....IT&rd=1 Talbott 7-folds, on the other hand, are usually very flamboyant.

4. big balla

big balla Active Member

actually, i forgot to add dsquared to my list of labels that i have grown to dislike. Sorry guys, but the designs look like something to come out of diesel or D&G. The price is hardly justifiable. What im amazed however, is the hype the caten bros. have conjured up among their label. The ability to get celebs and "cool" people to pay such prices for those clothes is something every designer should take note of.

On a side note...they make damn cool jackets....

5. High_Roller

High_Roller Well-Known Member

I used to love Dsquared, but I've grown to be more neutral towards the label. I'd love to try a pair of their jeans, but some of the slogans on their shirts are just ridiculous. Is that supposed to be funny? It's not.

6. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

DSquared makes terrific (albeit rather expensive) jackets and pretty cool button up and snap button shirts (the workwear thing works for me,) but their slogan tshirts are just asinine (although the colors are very nice.) The line is definitely one of the most overhyped ones out their today.

7. Yosarian77

Yosarian77 Well-Known Member

If we count Von Dutch as a label, then that's one brand I'd like to see extinguished.

8. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Well-Known Member

Kiton (despite the obvious quality, the clothes are so damn old-fashioned and grandfatherish to my eyes).
    This is an interesting take, as I've always felt that there is a good measure of flash in Kiton's clothes. Especially the ties.
    I certainly always felt that Kiton is much more flashy than say, Oxxford, Canali, and even Brioni.

9. VWpete

VWpete Well-Known Member

Love: Dior Homme... my biggest fashion vice. I have collected quite a bit of Hedi's basics (the black/ white dress shirts, cashmere overcoat, black tux blazer w/ leather lapels) and love the less flashy side of this design. Do have a few crazier pieces that are great for evening wear. It's getting way more expensive now... I'll wait for the sales in July.
    -Comme Des Garcons- Always thought CdG was too full cut for me until I started tring pieces on... Now I'm obsessed with the Japanes Designers (Rei, Junya, Yohji) drape.
    - Martin Margiela- Perfect basics, the best cardigan sweater, great vests... I tend to like his winter collections more than s/s
    -Paul Smith- Love his suits and use of color... Massimo Bizzochi (of Kiton fame) for ties.
    -Helmut Lang- His pants fit me great and the skinny suits are perfect for my build.
    - Costume National- love their shoes and great use of finishing/color
    - Raf Simons... love Raf's long silhouette and accessories.
    -Les Hommes... great hand detailing

In moderation:
    Prada, Gucci, Dolce, Kiton (love the sportcoats and suits, but I'll wait a few years... will be my fave then)

Hate:
    -Can't Stand D&G labelled stuff... bad flashbacks of trashy wannabe's.
    Don't mind their non-labelled basics (cargos)
    - Von Dutch... enough said
    - Armani- I see no design aspects I admire . . . looks like general moass produced, mediocre design
    - Dior for Women... Galliano has a few good designs, but he's getting trashy too....

Pete

10. High_Roller

Pete, I like your taste. And I have some good news, Dior Homme's winter collection should be priced relatively cheaper than this summer's.

11. VWpete

VWpete Well-Known Member

Thanks High Roller...
    Pricepoint lowering is great... Especially because the f/w collection is sooo incredibly wearable... I like it so much more than Luster from the pics.
    Pete

12. High_Roller

A lot of Dior Homme lovers are actually upset with this winter's collection (aptly named 'victim of the crime', or so I'm told). The main argument is that Hedi is going too commercial and mainstream with his designs. Personally, I don't like the collection as much as I liked Luster and Strip, but it's still very nice and it'll be nice to have more Dior Homme to actually wear out on a daily basis. Instead of a party, a club, or something of that nature.

13. VWpete

VWpete Well-Known Member

yeah... I've noticed that vibe over on the Dior MSN board. I love strip, but the only piece I really want is the leather vest. Next winter, i'm all about the fur collared shearling vest and more casual pieces. To each their own I guess. I've got enough "going 'out" Dior pieces...

14. High_Roller

I really like the plain jeans and the leather winter jacket with the fur hood. Also, those skirts look amazing. Of course, they're not very wearable as far as I'm concerned. They also carry a $7,000 price tag. You're a member of the Dior Homme MSN group? I didn't know that.

15. VWpete

VWpete Well-Known Member

I am a member... mostly lurk around. It's a great board though...
    Pete