1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

l got tricked to an AMWAY convention. A weird experience.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Harry Lean, Jul 22, 2008.

1. AmericanWay$

AmericanWay$ Active Member

You choose one product of your choice and explain the cost/benefit against similar products out there.

Okay, I'll do a comparison with water filters.

Model:
    Amway E-5199
    Cost
    $420
    Replacement Cartridge Cost & Capacity
    $120.00 / 1250 Gallon
    Per Gallon Cost of Use
    9.6 center per Gallon
    Remove Chlorine
    Yes, 97.9%
    Remove Lead
    Yes, 98%
    Remove Cysts
    Yes, 99.5%
    Removes THMs
    Yes, 99%
    Removes VOCs
    Yes, 99%
    Removes MTBE
    Yes, 90%
    Removes Alachlor
    Yes, 95%

Model:
    Brita Faucet Filter
    Cost
    $34.95
    $20.00 / 100 Gal.
    Per Gallon Cost of Use
    20 cents
    Remove Chlorine
    Yes, 99%
    Remove Lead
    Yes, 99%
    Remove Cysts
    Yes, 99%
    Removes THMs
    NO
    Removes VOCs
    NO
    Removes MTBE
    NO
    Removes Alachlor
    Yes, 92%

The AMWAY water filter costs more to buy but will be cheaper in the long run (9.6 cents a gallon compared to 20 cents a gallon) and it also removes more impurities than the competition. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Sorry for the delay...I was making another AMWAY sale!!

2. JesseJB

JesseJB Well-Known Member

AmericanJack-

Post a pic of what you are wearing today.

Does Amway sell bespoke suits? Is there an online StyleForum discount code for Amway suits?

3. ms244

ms244 Well-Known Member

Okay, I'll do a comparison with water filters.

Model:
    Amway E-5199
    Cost
    $420
    $120.00 / 1250 Gallon
    Per Gallon Cost of Use
    9.6 center per Gallon
    Remove Chlorine
    Yes, 97.9%
    Remove Lead
    Yes, 98%
    Remove Cysts
    Yes, 99.5%
    Removes THMs
    Yes, 99%
    Removes VOCs
    Yes, 99%
    Removes MTBE
    Yes, 90%
    Removes Alachlor
    Yes, 95%

Model:
    Brita Faucet Filter
    Cost
    $34.95
    $20.00 / 100 Gal.
    Per Gallon Cost of Use
    20 cents
    Remove Chlorine
    Yes, 99%
    Remove Lead
    Yes, 99%
    Remove Cysts
    Yes, 99%
    Removes THMs
    NO
    Removes VOCs
    NO
    Removes MTBE
    NO
    Removes Alachlor
    Yes, 92%

The AMWAY water filter costs more to buy but will be cheaper in the long run (9.6 cents a gallon compared to 20 cents a gallon) and it also removes more impurities than the competition. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Sorry for the delay...I was making another AMWAY sale!!

Your math is wrong.

You do not account for initial purchase cost and amortization.

4. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Well-Known Member

hehe.

i think the thing is.. we are too smart for him here.

5. ms244

ms244 Well-Known Member

Well you know, not everyone is an office furniture mogul with a graduate engineering degree [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Xericx

Xericx Well-Known Member

http://www.amazon.com/Amway-A101-E-8.../dp/B0002W5QBE

It gets good reviews too.

You can buy the water filter from Amazon for 1/2 the price. Since this is built on RELATIONSHIPS, wouldn't saving your relationships money be even better. You should alert them to this.

A quick look on amazon shows that Brita Water filters are actually $25 for a two-pack, not $20.00 each.

Anyways, look at this chart that shows a one-year cost of water filters assuming 1000 gallons.

http://www.waterfiltercomparisons.co...son_Matrix.cfm

Amway's costs are approximately DOUBLE that of the rest of the competitors.

7. AmericanWay$

[​IMG]

Congratulations on finding numbers that contradict mine. You clearly have a solid grasp of how to use google. [​IMG] That particular AMWAY filter is not even compatible with the model I listed. And with regards to the Brita filter, be my guest, buy a water filter that does a poor job of filtering water. Your putting your health at risk, not mine. (Did I mention that AMWAY offers world renowned health supplements? [​IMG] )

You are trying to prove a point (what it is I'm not sure) but you are clearly missing the mark. [​IMG]

8. West24

West24 Well-Known Member

i dont know why you guys are bugging this guy. hes clearly here to HELP you guys become better people.(by better i mean more rich, because rich=better). he seems genuine, and he does drive a yellow corvette. he even put a piece of paper on the car which says american way, just so you
    h8ers know its his. and you can tell a lot about him simply by the colour he chose. yellow means he has a high self-esteem, hes fun, hes out going, he can be trusted. now think long and hard about what i said.

9. AmericanWay$

i dont know why you guys are bugging this guy. hes clearly here to HELP you guys become better people.(by better i mean more rich, because rich=better). he seems genuine, and he does drive a yellow corvette. he even put a piece of paper on the car which says american way, just so you
    h8ers know its his. and you can tell a lot about him simply by the colour he chose. yellow means he has a high self-esteem, hes fun, hes out going, he can be trusted. now think long and hard about what i said.

THank you for you support.

10. JesseJB

I drink out of the tap without a cup and never get sick.

Im fucking tough. Filters are for midlife crisis cases who drive Corvettes.

11. teddieriley

teddieriley Well-Known Member

I didn't bother reading this entire thread, but what is wrong with Amway (known as Quixtar in North America)? Network marketing is about sales, and if that's what you're into, I don't see why this isn't a decent business opportunity. You guys keep calling this a "pyrmaid scheme" and refer to this as "scams." Please explain what is so "scam-ish" about the business model? You get a cut of what you sell, what you buy, and you encourage people to do the same, and you get a cut of their purchases. Can any of you provide substantial evidence that products supplied by Amway are substandard? They sell both their own manufactured products and well-known third party products. Sure you can buy similar items from Target and Costco for cheaper, but sometimes going shopping is a whole day excursion, and if you can't be bothered by that, ordering from Amway, the same goods you buy on a weekly basis anyway, helps you save time. Does Target or Costco give you rebates for shopping there? What incentive do you have to shop at these other brick and mortars (and their online counterparts)?

I'm not commenting on people who participate in Amway, as I don't know any personally (although I had known some in the past), but the business model is quite sound. While we fork over all this money to retailers, we don't get shit back. They spend billions on advertising, and we pay for it in the price of the products, rather than seeing any money go back into our own pockets. I personally hate sales, so I would never survive on this type of career.

I would like to hear people's explanations for their disdian of the business model.

12. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Well-Known Member

im not debating whether Amway is a decent business scheme or what not.
    my point is, whatever it is, that you are doing, there seems to be some people out there who are money-driven SOLELY. and will get into anything that can perhaps fulfill their pipe dream of piling on the money, without any real work put into it.
    living off of pipe dreams, and desperately trying to get others to follow you along in your pipe dream when others were initially at peace in their lives, bringing others down, etc. that is my gripe against this guy

13. CBDB

CBDB Well-Known Member

e-commerce has made Amway irrelevant. Unfortunately is hasn't made Amwayers any less annoying [​IMG]

14. AmericanWay$

[​IMG]

Finally, a voice of reason! Thank you for pointing out the added convienence (and cost savings!!!) of not having to leave your home to purchase vital goods, while still getting all the benefits of dealing with real people!

e-commerce has made Amway irrelevant. Unfortunately is hasn't made Amwayers any less annoying [​IMG]

More misconceptions!!!![​IMG]

The Amway Sales and Marketing Plan, with its roots in the basic elements of free enterprise, is a proven business concept!!

Amway has opened its business opportunity in many new countries in the past decade"”over 35 since 1990. Continued development in these countries will fuel long-term growth.

Amway is also exploring new opportunities for growth in well established countries, including innovative products and new ways for people to become involved with Amway"”as Business Owners, product retailers, or consumers.

Right now, Amway is investing in enhancing and expanding our manufacturing and distribution facilities to support the growth we expect in the coming decades. The prospects for growth remain strong.

15. Stazy

Stazy Well-Known Member

And my entertainment for the day is gone [​IMG]

16. teddieriley

teddieriley Well-Known Member

Finally, a voice of reason! Thank you for pointing out the added convienence (and cost savings!!!) of not having to leave your home to purchase vital goods, while still getting all the benefits of dealing with real people!

More misconceptions!!!![​IMG]

The Amway Sales and Marketing Plan, with its roots in the basic elements of free enterprise, is a proven business concept!!

Amway has opened its business opportunity in many new countries in the past decade"”over 35 since 1990. Continued development in these countries will fuel long-term growth.

Amway is also exploring new opportunities for growth in well established countries, including innovative products and new ways for people to become involved with Amway"”as Business Owners, product retailers, or consumers.

Right now, Amway is investing in enhancing and expanding our manufacturing and distribution facilities to support the growth we expect in the coming decades. The prospects for growth remain strong.

Don't get me wrong, you are still annoying. [​IMG]

17. A Canuker

A Canuker Well-Known Member

I don't think that anyone is saying that cannot make money from Amway but I think that the system has been tainted over the years by the MLM nature of the whole set up. Like most other ventures the chance of striking it big without risking it all is limited but MLM can leave certain people with the impression that they might be able to score with little effort and that, IMO, is the problem.

When I was 18 or so I got sucked into a primarica meeting where I went to the head cultmasters house. It was impressive and he had a nice car but when I looked at the other people who were there I could tell that they were hoping and not thinking clearly. Ah blah blah and my day at the office is done again.

We have all made money today, some lots and some little but we should all be happy at the end.

Afterthought: it seemed like the first filter system on that link was the best deal. The britta was useless and I would have been much more impressed if you had compared your item with something of a comparible "performance". I'm sure your Z06 would look better then the chevette I drove 17 years ago.

18. Stazy

Stazy Well-Known Member

Afterthought: it seemed like the first filter system on that link was the best deal. The britta was useless and I would have been much more impressed if you had compared your item with something of a comparible "performance". I'm sure your Z06 would look better then the chevette I drove 17 years ago.
    I don't think it's fair to berate members once they've been banned. How is this gentleman to defend himself?

19. JesseJB

He has people on his downline to do it for him. Then he gets a % cut from it.

1 person likes this.
  20. A Canuker

A Canuker Well-Known Member

I don't think it's fair to berate members once they've been banned. How is this gentleman to defend himself?

Now now, I didn't see the ban stick floating around and I've been posting in this thread all day.