1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

l got tricked to an AMWAY convention. A weird experience.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Harry Lean, Jul 22, 2008.

1. HomerJ

HomerJ Well-Known Member

You criticize Amway salesmen for their pathetic lives and yet you have nothing better to do with your own life than spending 70 hours reading an anti-Amway web page?
    By his own words, he lives a boring life in a hell house with a horrible marriage. If he meant to make fun of Amway he only succeeded in ridiculing himself. Maybe that was the whole point. I don't know. Anyway, funny story Harry.

2. Milhouse

Milhouse Well-Known Member

I got fooled big time by a company like that. I was in college, and saw a help wanted ad for a "technician to set up electrical equipment at events" or something along those lines. Something that sounded somewhat interesting, and like physical labor which would likely mean decent pay for a college kid. I was picturing something like setting up displays at trade shows or maybe product demo booths at retail stores.

It turned out to be those Kirby vacuum cleaners and they wanted salespeople. I was not amused with being mislead like that. All I got was a free coke at the interview.

3. West24

West24 Well-Known Member

this strange kid i went to highschool with i randomly saw on the bus. we were talking to eachother and he was trying to convince me to come to this meeting for a energy drink. saying he knows im "social" etc and would be good for selling this product etc. he then calls me etc to come to a party in some mansion where i can meet other people and get free drinks etc. i never went and stopped taking his calls. then randomly about a week later, this random asian guy walks up to me at a canadian tire and gives me the old "do i know you, i recognize you" blah blah. he asks me if i went to ryerson university etc. i didnt and he didnt know me. then he goes on about how i should come to this meeting etc. wtf is wrong with people lol.

4. A Canuker

A Canuker Well-Known Member

I use to sell cars years ago. Two guys came up to test a Caddy to which I was rather pleased as this one had some "profit" in the sales figures. After a good drive and talks about financing vs cash and crap like that the driver asked how I liked selling cars....Well that led to "we've got the the thing for you" to which I mentioned how I got paid for selling cars and how my dealership lost money when people test drove cars just to waste my time.

We got back to the store and I told them to piss off which was the highlight of the whole day. My manager told me later that it happens to everyone there....truelly annoyed me though.

5. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

Boy those stories bring back memories. Maybe a dozen years ago I had a streak of people trying to get me into their amway-type organizations. One in particular - an ex-coworker - annoyed me with the way she beat around the bush forever. Two years of working on the road together and she feels the need to veil her intentions. I felt no need to veil my cordial displeasure.

I kind of feel sorry for amway-types. You know they're hungry, you know they're working it, and you know that they're pushing this really big rock uphill, but for some reason they either miss or ignore the enormous burden that the amway name carries.

1 person likes this.
  6. JLibourel

JLibourel Well-Known Member

Good Lord! I hadn't heard anything about Amway in at least 20 years and had put them out of my mind until this thread.

I am surprised that no one has so far mentioned that the name "Amway" comes from its being based on the "American Way," which term had sort of gone out of currency elsewhere about the time the late George Reeves stopped playing Superman.

About the only chap I knew who was into pushing Amway was a former coworker of mine during my "down and out" period. He was a nice enough guy but one of life's ultimate losers.

7. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Well-Known Member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    I've known a few people into Amway, although none of them seemed to have hit it big. I do know two people who, through luck of getting in early, have made incredible piles of money in the Rexall Sundown (IIRC) pyramid.

I was always steamed when someone would try to get me to come to their meetings to discuss a "money-making proposition." Just be honest; tell me what it is.

8. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

AmWay has a large corporate building in Shanghai. Presumably, they are pulling the same cheap stunts and likely, it's easier to achieve the results over there.

All this AmWay stuff reminds me of those "Learning Annex" things and that Rich Dad Poor Dad nonsense that for some reason, I get mailers for. What shoddy trash.

9. JesseJB

JesseJB Well-Known Member

If Ive learned anything from other forums talking about pyramid scam companies, we can expect a slew of "Real people that work for Amway/Vector/whatever" to come on here posting about how great it is to work there.

10. sonick

sonick Well-Known Member

I live in a largely chinese suburb of Vancouver, and I've come across all sorts of these schemes.

To name a few:
    - NuSkin
    - Usana
    - Cutco
    - Amway
    - Quixtar (aka Amway online)
    - Monavie (overpriced Acai Berry Juice)
    - Primerica

My mom had done NuSkin for a bit in the past. My father is actually a Primerica rep (it might just be brainwashing propaganda, but although their recruitment practices aren't the greatest, the product and service they provide is legit).

11. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Well-Known Member

The internet killed AMWAY (so it gets on google nice and clear). [​IMG] The only people making it in AMWAY now are people from Asian speaking countries. People who have never heard of AMWAY until 10 years ago.

Yeah they just opened up a new AMWAY office across the street from my office building.

12. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus Well-Known Member

- Monavie (overpriced Acai Berry Juice)

Tell me about this. My parents have a bottle of this in their fridge right now.

13. sonick

sonick Well-Known Member

Tell me about this. My parents have a bottle of this in their fridge right now.

I'm not too familiar with the details, but it's pretty much another Multi-Level Marketing scheme. It's like $50/bottle of the stuff... Plenty more info on google.

14. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

I have had friends approaching me in the past, offering "business opportunities" and "some time to hear them out" and I usually tell them point blank that I do not like networking schemes. All of them who tried recruiting me aren't my friends anymore, I felt like they were fucking users.

15. T4phage

T4phage Well-Known Member

You criticize Amway salesmen for their pathetic lives and yet you have nothing better to do with your own life than spending 70 hours reading an anti-Amway web page?

And maybe with a glass of midstream.

I thought that one former member of this site used to be a higher level Amway/Quixar (sp?) rep.

16. tiger02

tiger02 Well-Known Member

My gf's mom is into this stuff, Amway and a Hungo version called Oxonet, plus some water filtering thing. I'm disheartened how the brainwashing has filtered down a generation--gf believes the hype events and practically refuses to use modern medicines in favor of some cream that her mom passes off to her with all the company lines.

Is this a developing market thing? Hungary would be in the same category as Asian markets that never heard of Amway 10 years ago. Another friend of ours tried to recruit me, and one of my wine salesmen is convinced that an $80/bottle of juice from a shit-smelling tropical fruit cures all ills. A recent ex- got taken by an MLM that was claiming to get her a work visa to the UK, as an au pair. The header of all the emails read, "Start your own travel business from home!" She didn't suspect a thing until i laid it out for her.

Tom

17. thoran

thoran Active Member

I have heard alot about AMWAY in India recently it has got banned.

18. Laffertron

Laffertron Well-Known Member

These Amway things are organically perpetuated by the types of people who sign up - lazy (but greedy) people who think they can somehow strike it rich without working too hard. The irony is that if they got a proper job (even something fairly ordinary) they'd make more money (and not drag more lost souls into their vortex of marketing despair).

OP, love your story. It makes sense that a diamond AMWAY seller (those people are at the top of their game and probably actually make reasonable money) would have massive status envy at the idea of somebody more successful than him. I'm going to try this if I am ever in a similar situation.

"Oh you've got an SL500 have you? *takes a sip of wine, unimpressed* I almost considered a Mercedes but they do seem to be driven exclusively by marginally successful louts these days. *turns to walk away and says in passing* It's a shame the Bentley GT is out of your reach..."

19. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

AmWay has a large corporate building in Shanghai. Presumably, they are pulling the same cheap stunts and likely, it's easier to achieve the results over there. All this AmWay stuff reminds me of those "Learning Annex" things and that Rich Dad Poor Dad nonsense that for some reason, I get mailers for. What shoddy trash.
    yup, same here. Coming into Vietnam in a big way. Have to give them credit, they seeming to do at least cursory research into everyone they are meeting here. In my case I got a Facebook message from a woman with an Indian name saying she was referred to me by an advertising agency, said she worked for a multinational firm beginning to make its entry into Vietnam. I run a PR firm, this is not an unusual sounding request for me, and I know lots of people in advertising, some of whom refer me business. There is also a very large Indian community here in advertising, so it all made sense, and I showed up at her (dingy ass) hotel at the appointed dot with my laptop in tow, and my corporate credentials presentation all ready to go. She immediately launches into a spiel about there being three types of people in the world, asked me if I had read Rich Dad Poor Dad, and I was sitting there kinda reeling, thinking 'this is the weirdest credentials presentation of my life'. It took probably 30 mins of her talking non-stop about her MBA and her incredible wealth back in Chicago until I got the gist of it...bitch wants me to sell soap for her....and if I am uber-good...recruit more peeople to sell more soap. I made my excuses and bailed, and was thankful for the only time in my life in Asia to have run out of name cards so neither her nor her associate had my number. Fast forward about three days, my gf gets a Facebook message telling her that she has been introduced by a friend in the manufacturing field and she would like to meet up with my gf to discuss her business expanding into Vietnam. My gf is an architect, with a background in industrial parks...this didnt sound out of the question to her, so in she goes...same spiel. My gf unfortunately did have namecards, and now she is In The Database, and they are calling her twice a week to set up meetings with her, and she is way too polite to use the key Amway phrases like 'fuck off and die', so the pain persists.

20. Bradford

Bradford Well-Known Member

I've heard that these MLM's are moving into China and other developing countries. For some reason, they are also extremely popular with Mormons here in Arizona. I've been approached by a few co-workers for things like Xango (mangosteen) juice.

I've gone to two Amway presentations in my life. One was my senior year in college when a friend's father took a bunch of us to dinner and then pitched us on selling long-distance service and setting up payphone locations. Didn't realize it was Amway until about halfway into the spiel. Said, thanks but no thanks.

The other was a few years out of school, but after I'd moved back to Arizona. Got talked into checking out a business opportunity by a high school friend. I did something similar to the OP in that I went to the meeting and blew the presenters away by talking about how I knew Dick and Betsy DeVos along with Steven Van Andel fairly well from my political work and college in Michigan.

I also attended about half of a Primerica presentation back in 2002 when I still had my securities licenses and was looking for a position. I left when it became obvious they were promoting the idea that you would make more money from recruiting new sales reps rather than selling investments.