1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Knife "repair" question

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by dopey, Apr 16, 2012.

1. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

I have an 8" slicing knife (this one) where the tip is bent. It is only a slight bend on the very very tip (the knife was jabbed into something frozen and went through to the hard surface below). More like a little hook. What is the best way to fix it?

2. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

Take it to a knife sharpener. The tip needs to be ground off, then a new shape needs to be added. I've done it, but it takes a long time without a wheel. You will end up with a slightly shorter knife, but one in very good shape.

3. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

Danke and Grüß Gott. That is what I feared.

4. ama

ama Well-Known Member

If you are in the City take it to Korin. They are very good and pretty quick.

5. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

Perfect. Thank you.

6. mackmittonz

mackmittonz Well-Known Member

I had this same exact repair done at Korin and it came out great and was done in a day.

7. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

Well this knife had already been put away until next Passover before I got to it, so if I want to fix it, I will have to pull it out of storage. I did have another slicer - a 12" Gonon Gironde stainless - with a similarly bent tip. I managed to "fix" it on a coarse whetstone (250 grit). I am not sure how much I rebent the tip back into place and how much of the crimp I simply ground off (I did leave light tracks in the stone), but it seemed to do the trick. I can still feel a light bump in the tip, but I did not want to go crazy grinding away since I feel like I don't know what I am doing and am bound to cause more harm then good. I am pretty sure it won't catch when I am slicing meat, which is what it is for, so I stopped when it seemed the knife would be usable but before I made too much of a mess of things.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012