• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kiton: Wear a Suit--Don't Look Like One

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
The man has an eclectic background to match his dress to be sure. That being said, his preference for tennis shoes with his suits is immeasurably tacky and in poor taste.

+1

But it is amazing what he can effect (have a look on all of us commenting his style).

I am not in trainers, too.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
If you take the last 100 years as a backdrop I think you'd find that the various -isms including racism share much more in common with Europeans and Asians than Americans. I've met my far share of racist Southerners since moving to Georgia but they are far surpasssed by the interactions I've had with various Europeans and Asians in my travels abroad.
I agree with you on this one. I didn't mean to suggest that race/cultural relations in one country or another are any better than the other; that's a separate conversation entirely. For example, the colonial policies of various European and Asian countries were often explicitly race-based (England, France, Germany, Japan, etc.). What I was getting at is that the relative cultural homogeneity of the US can lead people to become a little confused when someone appears "outside the box". For example, I have several American friends who are in or are the children of mixed-race marriages. Outside of the large cities, they're constantly frustrated by the comments of "what are your children" or "what are you." These questions are frequently not meant in a prejudicial way (although it still annoys them); it's just that people have a hard time placing someone that doesn't look like they're clearly of one ethnicity or the other.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by academe
I agree with you on this one. I didn't mean to suggest that race/cultural relations in one country or another are any better than the other; that's a separate conversation entirely. For example, the colonial policies of various European and Asian countries were often explicitly race-based (England, France, Germany, Japan, etc.).

Thats fine. I only pointed it out to say that it seems that the United States is always cited for being a race obessed culture when in fact history tells us that our decisions at home and abroad over the last 100 years have been mostly race neutral with some obvious and widely cited examples; Japanese camps etc.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Golf_Nerd
+1 But it is amazing what he can effect (have a look on all of us commenting his style). I am not in trainers, too.
I have to admit that I don't quite like his shoe choice within the overall context of his outfit. If he were wearing a solid suit as opposed to a patterned one, it might appeal to me a little more. It's not so much tacky for me as the degree of business. There's already quite a lot going on with the tie, shirt, etc. that the shoes throw in yet another twist, which I'm not sure I like.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to admit that I don't quite like his shoe choice within the overall context of his outfit. If he were wearing a solid suit as opposed to a patterned one, it might appeal to me a little more. It's not so much tacky for me as the degree of business. There's already quite a lot going on with the tie, shirt, etc. that the shoes throw in yet another twist, which I'm not sure I like.

For me it is not that important to judge him. It is his appearance. I appreciate having a look on his style and on every other style.

Another question: do you play golf?

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Golf_Nerd
For me it is not that important to judge him. It is his appearance. I appreciate having a look on his style and on every other style.

Another question: do you play golf?

I think you're right. My comments weren't really meant to be prescriptive. I actually think he looks quite good as is. It was more my opinion on if I would wear trainers with that outfit...

Haven't learnt to play golf yet, although I plan to in the future! May be when it warms up a bit.
blush.gif

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The guy has style, if he is selling Kiton suits that would be a job requirement. Could I pull off that look, not in a million years.
It's one thing drop some serious change on a suit, anyone can do that. Choosing the right suit for you is another thing all together, I shop for the fit not the brand and start from there. I tend to stick to the dark charcoal and Navy suits (would love a taupe/tan linen suit someday) and let the shirts, shoes and accessories do the talking.
Style is not something you teach, and there are lots of style challenged out there.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you're right. My comments weren't really meant to be prescriptive. I actually think he looks quite good as is. It was more my opinion on if I would wear trainers with that outfit...

Haven't learnt to play golf yet, although I plan to in the future! May be when it warms up a bit.
blush.gif

Yes, I am with you!

As soon as you start (Start living - play golf!) give me a hint. St. Andrews is world famous for golf. Then we have to play the old course!

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score

blush.gif

St. Andrews and no golf?
confused.gif

Wanna switch--- you live in Indiana?

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackplatano
I think it is very interesting how much people see things in terms of black and white. It is as if people fail to realize that a whole world exist without the racial implications of the US. The assumption that a "black" man has to have a tipical black name even though he is from another country is hilarious, it is like saying that all colored people have had the same history.
this man is hispanic/Italian, expecting him to have a english/african last name and considering him a african-american is silly and suggest the lumping of all colored folk under the same category.

What's really disturbing is the importance that forum members have giving to his race. Does it really matter what nationality he is from? Why is made to such a big deal? Whatever.

Like I said, this is an American past time. Would it make you feel better to know I'm half black and half white as well?

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackplatano

What's really disturbing is the importance that forum members have giving to his race. Does it really matter what nationality he is from? Why is made to such a big deal? Whatever.

I didn't take part in the discussion (don't really care), but I have to say that what I find disturbing about your post is the assumptions you make about those who did. As academe pointed out, there's no reason to assume the discussion was anything more than mere curiosity. I, myself, am intensely curious about ethnicities/cultures/races to the point that I think I should have become a cultural anthropoligist. I in no way form a bridge between this curiosity and any sort of "importance." It doesn't seem most (all?) of the above posters did, either.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I don't like his ensemble either, but the guy must be doing something right or at least interesting for us to still be talking about him 118 posts later.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I don't like his ensemble either, but the guy must be doing something right or at least interesting for us to still be talking about him 118 posts later.

Well, his style is certainly attention-getting if nothing else.

Deipnosophist

Reaction score
I like the suit, don't mind the shirt, dislike the tie, and we all know about the shoes
smile.gif
All in all, I wouldn't get too upset about it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads