1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Kiton: Wear a Suit--Don't Look Like One

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SoCal2NYC, Apr 4, 2008.

1. lee_44106

lee_44106 Well-Known Member

I think his look is very anti-Kiton. I'm surprised that Kiton allows him to represent the brand dressed like that.

I'd rather think that Kiton allows him the latitude to be "playful" with his dressing, to cater to the non-traditional Kiton crowd, in order to broaden its appeal to the rich but not so dodgy crowd.

2. celery

celery Well-Known Member

My favourite thing is that he obviously doesn't care.

I can picture him in the morning, "Oooo, I like this tie today." And he puts it on.

Which is completely opposed to some of the overly obsessed desire for perfection we see on these boards. Granted, sometimes it's nice to see a really sharp line and simple colours, but I personally love eccentric stuff.

3. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Well-Known Member

I'd rather think that Kiton allows him the latitude to be "playful" with his dressing, to cater to the non-traditional Kiton crowd, in order to broaden its appeal to the rich but not so dodgy crowd.

Dodgy or stodgy? I kinda hope you really did mean the former.

4. lee_44106

lee_44106 Well-Known Member

I had meant stodgy.

Doc, I think the quote by Boyer in your thread is very applicable to this discussion.

5. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Well-Known Member

Has anyone met this guy in-person? He is an ass.

6. J'aimelescravates

J'aimelescravates Well-Known Member

He kind of reminds me of Bill Cosby in Ghost Dad.

I think I like each piece individually but the combinations are not working for me. Then again, I'm much more conservative in my dress

7. TRINI

TRINI Well-Known Member

I lol'ed.

8. dl20

dl20 Well-Known Member

Why is he an ass ET? Lets hear a story [​IMG]

dl

9. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Well-Known Member

dl

No real story. Met him at the Kiton store a few weeks ago - he was rude and fancied himself as a know-all.

10. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

dl

ET is 100% correct, but you won't get a story out of me.

11. WestIndianArchie

WestIndianArchie Well-Known Member

In that issue of GQ, he bragged about the reaction he provoked by wearing his tie wrong/reversed, (with the thin/blade end long and over the fat end), and that being the spark for his creativity.
    [​IMG]

12. satorstyle

satorstyle Well-Known Member

Individually the pieces are actually nice, he appears to be trying to hard to be unconventional, he won't be with the company for long with those styling trends. The cuffs are turning me off as well they appear to be about 2 1/2 inches the equivalent of rolling up ones pants leg.

13. Douglas

Douglas Well-Known Member

I don't know what all the complaining is about. I think he looks great. I love the suit, I love the shirt, I love the tie. It's not something I would wear, and it's not something I think most white people could get away with (something about the dark complexion works better with bolder colors), but he looks very, very good. His fit is excellent.

I think it's interesting to note that he has actually pretty much followed the pattern matching rules. In the photo, at least, the windowpane/plaid of the suit is subtle enough to give the impression of a solid, the stripes are of a large scale, and the pattern of the tie is different enough not to make you dizzy. Its one-dimensional color scheme is complementary without being busy.

On the other hand, I really dislike the shoes. It's one step too far. And while the tie thing is sort of interesting to see in one photo, I think it would be grating to have to be subjected to it every day. And the fact that he draws extra attention to it by talking about it is pretty pretentious.

14. Master Shake

Master Shake Well-Known Member

I remember seeing him at a restaurant in midtown during lunch. I was quite unimpressed with his attire, although I don't for the life of me remember anything else about it.

15. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

He looks like fun in the pic but some of your accounts of interactions with him suggest otherwise. I can't say I like the look but he does seem to look confident wearing it.

16. Recoil

Recoil Well-Known Member

I don't think it looks ALL bad, I think the pose goes well with the suit. If he was sitting in the boardroom or a courtroom it might look really strange, but he is obviously going for a specific look here. Despite that, I don't think I could ever bring myself to pay for Kiton. I've seen some expensive off the rack suits, and I've paid for clothes that I knew weren't "worth" what I was paying for them, but 7 grand is nuts. That's what they go for up here in Canada anyway, maybe its not so bad in the States.

17. Sator

Sator Well-Known Member

In that issue of GQ, he bragged about the reaction he provoked by wearing his tie wrong/reversed, (with the thin/blade end long and over the fat end), and that being the spark for his creativity.

Maybe there is a job opening for Eric Glennie at Kiton?

18. blahblahblah

blahblahblah Well-Known Member

7 grand is nuts. That's what they go for up here in Canada anyway, maybe its not so bad in the States.

Wow, is kiton really that expensive??? I don't know to what extent my spending limits evolve with income, but I am pretty sure for me the following make sense --> I think it is ridiculous to pay more than

~150 for jeans (and that's only becayse I got caught up with the selvage mania; 40 bucks Levis are just what jeans are all about)
    ~1-2 k for a suit (made by an asian MTM maker, naturally)
    ~150 for a mtm shirt (just because of the nicer fabrics available)
    ~ 50-70 for a tie
    ~ 300-400 for shoes

naturally, that's just me. Some people here would probably laugh on such cheapo tresholds. And I don't insist that these would not change if my income goes up, but right now I think there got to be some "absolute" limits - most of the world is living in poverty for crying out loud... I love good clothes, but what could possibly justify 800 $ jeans and 3000$ jacket, let alone $7 gs suit? if you actually make millions a year, I suppose, but even then habitually spending this much on clothes, along with the other expenditures that would accompany such a lifestyle could easily send you to the poorhouse (actually, it happens a lot)

19. johnapril

johnapril Well-Known Member

I hate that sort of fabric. Look how much shit he has to wear to try to excite it. Give me a plan charcoal suit and a white shirt anyday and I will look tons better. He is on the edge of looking like a clown. That stupid belt needs to be made into a purse strap. Let's pretend he's wearing Men's Wearhouse and Addidas. Does anyone like the look now?

20. Sator

Sator Well-Known Member

Wow, is kiton really that expensive???

Yes, you would be much better off getting a bespoke Chan than a RTW/MTM Kiton with a mediocre fit and construction. Kitons are grossly overpriced for what you get.