1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Kitchen Tools

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by mgm9128, Dec 29, 2011.

1. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

If you are using an undersized burner or are heating it too fast, then it forms hot spots. Most pans will. I think that article is misleading. I was taught to heat a cast iron pan slowly and if you do that the issue is nullified.

My personal experience is that a cast iron skillet is so good at corn bread because of its distribution properties. I always saw the cornbread come out perfectly colored.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/07/dining/07mini.html

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  2. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

OK, this is why people treat you like an asshole. You don't know anything, have no information, and yet you continue to argue on your lack of knowledge. I don't care, use your pans. I've been using the same pans since I was 23, with a few additions along the way. They suit me well.

Anyway, here is somebody from the NY Times who, unlike Mark Bittman, knows what he is talking about:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/08/dining/08curi.html?pagewanted=1&ref=dining

3. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

I know that cast iron pans are meant to be heated slowly. I never knew why, I was just taught this way, so this exchange was enlightening. You don't seem to handle someone with a different viewpoint very well.

Cast iron is great for many uses, I think you've been shown that here and are having trouble handling it. You should consider that maybe you can learn something too instead of always needing to be the authority in the room.

I also get the feeling you don't even own a cast iron skillet, while I own 2. A cast iron frying pan, a cast iron baking dish and a cast iron grill pan. So I wonder who is in a better position to comment from experience?

4. itsstillmatt

Are you really this fucking stupid?

5. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

I guess so, only because I thought it was possible to have a normal discussion with someone like you.

6. itsstillmatt

Most people don't believe that having a "normal" discussion entails dismissing hard evidence presented in favor of anecdotes, cornbread and Mark Bittman lauding his newest bestest idea. That is what you think normal is, which is why conversations don't go well for you.

1 person likes this.
  7. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

You know everything and everyone and have all the best facts. But you have no experience with cast iron which makes you look like a blowhard and it seems like that bothers you. You can own a sports car and try and start from a stop in 6th gear and then complain the car accelerates like shit. This is basically what you're doing here.

If you know how to use the tool you avoid the problem mentioned. Very simple. I didn't even know why I heated it slowly, and I admitted it here. I'm not trying to hide anything.

Look, I only took exception to your uneven heat complaint, the rest I'm more or less in agreement about. And here I am trying to give members advice on how to avoid it: heat the pan slowly.

This hasn't gone well for you. Accept that I have more experience here, learn something like I did, show more respect to other members and move on.

We'll try again next time.

2 people like this.
  8. mordecai

mordecai Well-Known Member

Coincidentally, I recently was gifted a cast iron pan. Heated a bunch of roots slowly in the oven last week as my first time cooking with the thing. Most uneven roast I've ever served.

9. shibbel

shibbel Well-Known Member

Yeah, but do you own 2 cast iron skillets, a cast iron frying pan, a cast iron baking dish AND a cast iron grill pan? I thought not- you know nothing.

1 person likes this.
  10. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

The problem with heat spots and cast iron comes from burners. An oven doesn't present a direct heat source. I've used my cast iron baking pan dozens of times to roast potatoes, carrots, and a number of other items without a hitch, in fact I prefer it. My cast iron skillet produces perfect corn bread every time. I'm the lucky outlier I guess.

My experience with cast iron is that its useful in some situations. I'll leave it there.

11. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

I think I was accused of knowing nothing. You should put your reading glasses on.

12. NOBD

NOBD Well-Known Member

Why do you let it cool? I wash mine while it's still hot under hot running water. Makes it easier and faster to clean.

13. NOBD

NOBD Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

(The small one is newer.)

1 person likes this.
  14. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

I saw lots of new posts and thought the discussion lead to something productive. I was wrong. :facepalm:

Has the FCI cooking blog always been restricted?

@NOBD: When metal heats up, it expands. If you shock it with cold water, it will contract and can warp, reducing the effective surface area that's in contact with the heating element which can lead to uneven heating. Depending on the material, there's also some tension and the temperature shock might -- over time -- break the material. I'm very sure the former applies to your question, however not completely sure whether the second idea does (and whether it's correct).

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  15. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Well-Known Member

anybody want some perfect corn bread?

[​IMG]

16. NOBD

NOBD Well-Known Member

I understand, but what if you don't shock it with cold water? I clean my pans directly from the stove with running hot water. Of course, the water isn't as hot as the pan, but I think it prevents the downsides you describe; at least, I haven't experienced any of those.

17. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

A hot pan is like 300-400°F whereas hot water is about 185°F. So yeah, it shouldn't be as bad as cold water but nonetheless it still shocks the pan to some extent. To be on the safe side, I suppose it's still better to wait.

18. NOBD

NOBD Well-Known Member

I understand. But too much trouble... :)

19. itsstillmatt

What makes you think I've never used cast iron, idfnl? And why don't you believe Harold McGee when he tells you that heating the cast iron slowly does not, in fact, make it heat more evenly? He was able to admit that he was wrong, despite what he had long believed true, why can't you be a man and do the same thing?

20. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

Oh, brother . . .