1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Kitchen Knives

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Sep 15, 2007.

1. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

So I ordered a Masamoto VG-10, it arrived, is nice, but I now learn that the VG-10 series is now not made from the VG-10 steel. Probably was, once, - and that's likely the version that Cooks Illustrated tested in their January issue. The best info I can find indicates VG-1 steel, which is not quite VG-10. This is troubling. Used it for a moment this evening anyway. Heavier than I expected, but still sharp and nimble.

Well, I'm about to put a new edge on the Masamoto. Not happy with the factory edge - didn't like it at the get-go, and don't like it now. This though is funny: the profile is exactly the same as the Togiharo, but the Togi's edge has held up better, for less than half the cost.

Anyway, before I write off the Masamoto, I'll put a fresh edge on it and see how it holds up.

2. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

Broke the tip off my 10" chef's. Back to Oregon it goes. Just as I started a new class. [​IMG]

3. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

Broke the tip off my 10" chef's. Back to Oregon it goes. Just as I started a new class. [​IMG]

REALLY??? How did you do that?

4. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

REALLY??? How did you do that?

Fell from my island onto the tile floor.

5. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

you can pick up a 6" Shun at Sur la Table for $80.

6. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

Fell from my island onto the tile floor.

AAAAAAAAAACK. I feel your pain. I guess installing industrial-type floor coverings is out of the question?

you can pick up a 6" Shun at Sur la Table for $80.

Better that he should use a hacksaw than resort to a 6' knife. I use those to clean my fingernails.

7. Douglas

Douglas Well-Known Member

Hey Manton - Did you use an 8" knife before? How did you find the transition from 8 to 10? I am tempted to try it but it seems I wouldn't be terribly dextrous with that extra 2 inches of blade way out there.

8. gomestar

I use a 6" and quite like it. It fits with my mini kitchen.

9. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

Much prefer 10" to 8", transition was no problem.

10. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

Hey Manton - Did you use an 8" knife before? How did you find the transition from 8 to 10? I am tempted to try it but it seems I wouldn't be terribly dextrous with that extra 2 inches of blade way out there.
    Ten is more better.

11. gomestar

Ten is more better.

ten is two better than eight, to be exact.

12. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

Ten is more better.

Mine goes to eleven. [/nigel]

13. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

My unsolicited input is that 10" knives are not more difficult to use compared to an 8", but in all are much more useful in the kitchen. Say you have a 10" and 8" knife in your kitchen, chances are that the 8" will hardly ever get used.

14. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

15. Gradstudent78

Gradstudent78 Well-Known Member

Thomas, do you own a Japanese razor? I've been investigating Japanese knives for my upcoming trip to Japan and came across this:

http://yhst-27988581933240.stores.ya...den-steel.html

straightrazorplace.com has a couple threads on these on their forum, you might want to spend some time looking over there.

16. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

Thomas, do you own a Japanese razor? I've been investigating Japanese knives for my upcoming trip to Japan and came across this:

http://yhst-27988581933240.stores.ya...den-steel.html

No, I've never tried one, and strangely find myself un-motivated to do so. Part of it comes from safety issues (no scales - the blade is always bare), part from the fixed-handle business (hand further from the edge than I'm used to), but mostly from the asymmetry. Where an eastern straight has a symmetrical grind - lending itself to use by either hand - the Japanese straights I've seen and read about have one side concave and one not.

And, I just can't deal with that sort of trickery so early in the morning. [​IMG]

17. gomestar

thinking about eventually upgrading my chef's knife. Any insight on the pros/cons of something like this?.

18. why

why Well-Known Member

thinking about eventually upgrading my chef's knife. Any insight on the pros/cons of something like this?.
    The caustic look makes it harder to clean, uglier, and probably more expensive. I personally wouldn't like the shape for cutting but that's dependent on the user.

19. gomestar

The caustic look makes it harder to clean, uglier, and probably more expensive. I personally wouldn't like the shape for cutting but that's dependent on the user.

all reasons (except ease of cleaning, I don't care) to consider. I'm not a tremendous fan of the hammered look, but I find it to be generally attractive. Shape is fine, I enjoyed it in the store. 50/50 balance is something I'm considering, I am R while gf is L, unless somebody tells me this doesn't matter in Japanese knives.

also like

20. foodguy

foodguy Well-Known Member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    they're both going to be great knives. i'd go with the one that feels best. that's what is really going to determine how much you use it. the damascusing doesn't really affect the cleaning of it that much, in my experience, though i agree that i am not a fan of it looks-wise.