1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Kickstarter welted shoe brands. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by carlpl320, Mar 31, 2016.

1. carlpl320

carlpl320 New Member

Hey guys,
    I'm looking at a couple of dress shoe brands on kickstarter and wanted to know if anyone heard about them or if they're worth purchasing. Granted there's always a risk involved with kickstarter, but these two look legit.

Made tech x bespoke
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1833418877/m-a-d-e-tech-x-bespoke
    They claim to create custom lasts for each customer, ship out fitting shoes, and have a 3D foot scanning app. Construction is hand welted and made in China. Apparently their leather is imported from Italy from the same tannery as berluti and hermes. plus they offer patina! Price is $380 USD.

Myrqvist Goodyear Welted
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/herrstil/myrqvist-goodyear-welted-affordable-high-quality-s
    Goodyear welted from England, this company sells RTW shoes for $231 USD. They don't mention anything about the tannery that they use but they offer suede which is something Made is missing.

Both brands are direct to consumer hence the attractive price points. I'm kind of tempted to shell out an extra $150 for bespoke. But I'm not an expert in shoes so i'd like to wait until someone throws in their 2 cents.

2. starro

starro Well-Known Member

This would be an interesting experiment. Personally, I would wait until the it gets off the ground. The price of waiting seems to be $50.

Potential drawbacks include non-leather insole and (?) outsole.

3. starro

starro Well-Known Member

^ Happily, they've included a picture of the inseaming/welting process.
    [​IMG]

Hoping for knowledgeable shoemakers like @DWFII to comment on the quality of the stitching. To me it doesn't look like a high enough spi. Also not exactly sure what a "double lock stitch" is.

4. DWFII

DWFII Well-Known Member

Hard to tell what is going on there. Almost looks like two inseams...one on top of the other.

Standard frequency is 3 SPI . Really good work will be closer to 4...or even 5...depending on the leather.

--

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  5. aneki

aneki Member

The Myrqvist shoe is afaik using leather from a Russian tannery. I have no experience with the brand, except from what I've read online and in that pricerange I'd rather look at Meermin, Yanko or the likes.

6. snug

snug New Member

@aneki agreed. IMO Myrqvist isn't doing anything new.

I pulled the trigger on made. It's ending in 16 hours and retail is $550 so might as well enjoy the discount while I can. Since I couldn't find anything about them online I'll post my experience here and let you guys know how it goes.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
    2 people like this.
  7. manasdirge

manasdirge Well-Known Member

subscribed