1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Kick scooter for commuting

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Kent Wang, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Well-Known Member

I saw many people (adults) in Berlin and Munich use kick scooters as a means of conveyance. This has rekindled my desire to get one for myself.

2. Southern-Nupe

Southern-Nupe Well-Known Member

KW,

Are we going here again?

3. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Well-Known Member

4. Southern-Nupe

SN, Yes
    lol....

Have you posibly considered a motor scooter?

5. oscarthewild

oscarthewild Well-Known Member

The scooter is a fantastic idea. All the other dudes will be cringing at not having the balls to have started it. If they start after you, they will feel and viewed as copycats.
    And walking into a bar with a helmet is a major plus.

I would try to get one with larger wheels than the razor types. Saw some with inflatable tires. Much more forgiving on the TX roads and sidewalks. To stop possible harrasment from TX drivers, write "nuke iran" in tape on your helmet. ( I used to ride a bicycle in TX and had beer cans flung at me from pickups. Also had a cop once pull me over and told to produce my drivers licence. He said I looked suspicious cause he had not seen other people riding bicycles.)

6. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

Off topic, but since I still maintain that Wang should be buying a vintage Lambretta or Vespa, this thread reminded me that I get my new (old) Vespa in a couple of weeks. Woohoo.

One of my friends Pat restores and exports Vespas and Lambrettas, he had some Swiss collector come to him asking to buy one from a particular chassis series. My old, flame job Vespa was from that series. There is nothing particularly rare about it, just happened to be the hole in his collection. Was hanging out at Pat's house one day, when he pulled out the 'have I got a deal for you' line. Basically Pat didn't have any of that chassis line in stock, said it would probably take him a few weeks to find one, but do I want to trade in mine on a newly restored bike, and save him the searching time.

"Sure I do".

It will be done in a creamy silver color with blue undertones through it - it is actually a color from the Jaguar car swatches.

Can't wait to get it....

7. Southern-Nupe

Off topic, but since I still maintain that Wang should be buying a vintage Lambretta or Vespa, this thread reminded me that I get my new (old) Vespa in a couple of weeks. Woohoo. One of my friends Pat restores and exports Vespas and Lambrettas, he had some Swiss collector come to him asking to buy one from a particular chassis series. My old, flame job Vespa was from that series. There is nothing particularly rare about it, just happened to be the hole in his collection. Was hanging out at Pat's house one day, when he pulled out the 'have I got a deal for you' line. Basically Pat didn't have any of that chassis line in stock, said it would probably take him a few weeks to find one, but do I want to trade in mine on a newly restored bike, and save him the searching time. "Sure I do". It will be done in a creamy silver color with blue undertones through it - it is actually a color from the Jaguar car swatches. Can't wait to get it....
    I agree, the motorscooter (especially vintage) seems pretty cool in a metropolitan like way. Plus you won't have the awkward look of a man dressed in a suit and tie, riding down the street jumping curves on a razor.

As crazy as it may sound, I think a skateboard seems like a somewhat cooler idea than a scooter. (I am not recommending this either).

8. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

Vintage Vespas are awesome.

9. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

10. Johnny Amiga

Johnny Amiga Well-Known Member

As crazy as it may sound, I think a skateboard seems like a somewhat cooler idea than a scooter. (I am not recommending this either).
    The problem with skateboards and longboards is that they require skill and confidence. I used to skateboard a bit when I was a kid, but when I tried it again a few years ago (I'm 25 now) it was just painful. Literally (fell off the board when cruising downhill, managed to land on my elbow). All those old dudes with skills look really cool on the board, but if one doesn't have experience and/or the will to spend a lot of time getting used to it, it's not cool at all. It looks just awkward.

Even the kick scooter is better. Atleast on it one's chances of serious injury are considerably reduced.

11. Southern-Nupe

The problem with skateboards and longboards is that they require skill and confidence. I used to skateboard a bit when I was a kid, but when I tried it again a few years ago (I'm 25 now) it was just painful. Literally (fell off the board when cruising downhill, managed to land on my elbow). All those old dudes with skills look really cool on the board, but if one doesn't have experience and/or the will to spend a lot of time getting used to it, it's not cool at all. It looks just awkward.

Even the kick scooter is better. Atleast on it one's chances of serious injury are considerably reduced.

Good point

12. sygyzy

sygyzy Well-Known Member

get a Lambretta instead

edit...with this post i inspired myself to get a new avatar.

What's a Lambretta? I am looking for a scooter and I've never heard of this brand. Is this a major player like Vespa, Piaggio, Aprilia, etc or is it some Chinese knockoff brand?

13. RJman

RJman Well-Known Member

The problem with skateboards and longboards is that they require skill and confidence. .

[​IMG]

14. sygyzy

sygyzy Well-Known Member

A MUST READ:

http://www.rovers-usa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1938

That guy and the other participants (like the guy who emailed someone making fun of him for pricing something 2950 instead 3000), are assholes. Their attitudes make me almost feel sorry for the restoration importers.

15. Southern-Nupe

What's a Lambretta? I am looking for a scooter and I've never heard of this brand. Is this a major player like Vespa, Piaggio, Aprilia, etc or is it some Chinese knockoff brand?
    I believe it too is an Italian scooter, I'm just too lazy to do research.

16. Bradford

Bradford Well-Known Member

Kick scooter - dude why not just get a pair of Rollerblades?

Actually, I think the Lambro/Vespa idea is the best.

17. Southern-Nupe

Kick scooter - dude why not just get a pair of Rollerblades?

lol.....

18. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

A MUST READ: http://www.rovers-usa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1938
    hey Zip, great to see you again man...where you been? Did you go missing or have I just not noticed you in a while? As to the link, ya, youre right. It is one of the biggest impediments to my mate's business...lots of guys buying fucked old Vespas/Lambrettas here, painting them, restoring them with all Chinese parts, and shipping them off to a world market at overinflated prices (the dudes on Ly Thai To Street sell those ones for like $600...overseas Vietnamese then export them for $4000 - and they fall apart almost immediately). The only person I would buy from is Pat (www.saigonscootercenter.com) - he imports all his parts from Italy, and then fabricates others to Piaggio-geek standards, so he is basically the best-reputationed guy here. He goes off to all the Lambretta geek events around the world, and actually the fabricating is a bigger business for him than the bikes.

19. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

Off topic, but since I still maintain that Wang should be buying a vintage Lambretta or Vespa, this thread reminded me that I get my new (old) Vespa in a couple of weeks. Woohoo.

One of my friends Pat restores and exports Vespas and Lambrettas, he had some Swiss collector come to him asking to buy one from a particular chassis series. My old, flame job Vespa was from that series. There is nothing particularly rare about it, just happened to be the hole in his collection. Was hanging out at Pat's house one day, when he pulled out the 'have I got a deal for you' line. Basically Pat didn't have any of that chassis line in stock, said it would probably take him a few weeks to find one, but do I want to trade in mine on a newly restored bike, and save him the searching time.

"Sure I do".

It will be done in a creamy silver color with blue undertones through it - it is actually a color from the Jaguar car swatches.

Can't wait to get it....

and got it...posted pics in the motorbike thread...

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...&postcount=268

Ended up switching to a bluey silver rather than a silvery blue after looking at a sample of the Jag color I had picked. This is a BMW color apparently.

What's a Lambretta?

Sorry, missed this first time around. A Lambretta is also made by Piaggio, it is basically the Vespa's big brother. Made in a similar era, the Vespas are shorter and with a rounder rear end, while Lambrettas are longer, narrower, sleeker.

A couple of quick shots found in 10 secs or less on Google, should show the difference...

Vespa:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lambretta:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. bigbjorn

bigbjorn Well-Known Member

Lambrettas are most definitely not made by Piaggio. Lambretta was the scooter brand of Innocenti. Geez.