1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Kent Wang - Affiliate thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Kent Wang, Nov 23, 2009.

1. PTMDallas

PTMDallas Member

kent is the effin man. as previously mentioned, there was mix up with my trousers and someone else's order- adding about a month wait to my order. kent just notified me they were shipped and gifted me with a $70 code for my troubles. can someone explain to me why the hell people would buy a suit anywhere else now?

1 person likes this.
  2. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Well-Known Member

That's awesome! :slayer: And I don't know; Kent's MTM suit seems like the best bang for the buck for a custom, fully canvased suit. I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of my trial jacket tomorrow! Pants are with another customer, so I'll have to wait a little longer for them.

3. kasakka

kasakka Well-Known Member

The rather high gorge is right now about the only drawback I can think of and that was apparently not customizable. It seems in many pics (possibly due to camera angle) that the notch in the lapels is almost on your shoulders. By default the buttoning point is way high for my tastes but at least that can be changed.

4. Flyswatter

I wouldn't let that stop you. I think the gorge height is just fine:

http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu112/SpooPoker/6a0bf0bf.jpg

I would rather it be a bit on the high side vs. low. A low gorge is very '90s in a bad way; a higher gorge is classic and rakish.

5. Limniscate

Limniscate Well-Known Member

What's the distance from point-to-point on your spread collar for your shirts?

6. 7_rocket

7_rocket Well-Known Member

I see Kent is selling low profile white sneakers. Anyone bought?

7. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Well-Known Member

Probably camera angle. I actually asked Kent if the gorge could be raised a hair. On me, the center of the notch is about even with the middle or bottom of my tie knot.

8. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Well-Known Member

I haven't been able to find it through a search. Any comments on KW belts? Say vs Allen Edmonds. Vs Equus?

I almost pulled the trigger on one on my last order but I wondered how they compared since the price is about the same as others.

9. Winston S.

Winston S. Well-Known Member

Kent: I never received a confirmation for my RSVP for this weekend. I just wanted to confirm that it won't be an issue if I show up earlier than when I RSVPed for.

10. YourArsenal

YourArsenal Well-Known Member

Will the sneakers ever be available in bigger sizes, or is it possible to special order larger sizes?
    EDIT: Uh never mind I just saw it says on the site size 10 and up will be available in spring. How high will they go? 12? 13?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  11. Flyswatter

Just got my trial suit jacket, and this thing is amazing! Fit is nearly perfect and I'll only need to make minor adjustments such as shortening the sleeves, waist in just a tad, etc. Overall, very impressed and I'm eager for the MTM product!

Pics of the trial jacket to come. Still waiting on delivery of the pants (another customer had the trial pair in my size) and fabric swatches.

12. sftiger

sftiger Well-Known Member

Hey Kent - I was hoping to stop by the trunk show this weekend, but I just wanted to pop in and check things out in person, no idea if I'll be buying anything. Do I need to RSVP for a specific time? I don't want to waste your time by taking up a time slot if I'm not definitely going to buy something. If it's more just to get a sense of when people will be stopping by then I'm happy to do it.

13. Flyswatter

Okay, here's a quick pic of the trial jacket right out of the box (hence all the wrinkling). I'll take more pictures later.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
    2 people like this.
  14. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Well-Known Member

Wow, I don't think it's possible to get much of a better fit than that on a trial jacket. You will definitely see some great results with the full MTM process.

15. RDiaz

RDiaz Well-Known Member

it's hard to tell without side and back pics, but I don't think the waist should come in any more. too close fitting waists are #1 cause of distorted jacket lines and drape.

16. Al in Philly

Al in Philly Well-Known Member

Pics taken further away would help too. RDiaz is correct about close fitting waists, but I do think this one could potentially be supressed 1-1.5cm.

Shoulders and sleeves look very good!

17. katabatic

katabatic Well-Known Member

Flyswatter -- I'm curious, did you order you normal jacket size or size up? I normally wear a 42R, but I suspect Kent's 42R will be a little snug, as the chest measurement is 1/2" smaller than my closest fitting jacket (possibility for measurement error on my part notwithstanding, of course). If I size up though, the length and shoulder width will be too much.

Regardless, that looks pretty damn good. I'm looking forward to having the funds available to jump into a KW MTM suit :)

18. Al in Philly

Al in Philly Well-Known Member

Kent Wang maroon pin-dot 6-fold today.

[​IMG]

19. prozach1576

prozach1576 Well-Known Member

I have both the maroon and navy pindots. They are beautiful ties and two of my most-worn.

20. Flyswatter

Thanks for the feedback so far, everyone! The pic I posted was just a teaser, really. I'll have better pics taken of front, back, and sides, and from a further distance and hopefully with better lighting.
    Thanks! I'm definitely happy with the fit of the trial jacket, and in fact it was better than I imagined it would be. Still, I'll see what Kent says about adjustments once I send him proper pictures.
    Good point. If I have it brought in at all, it won't be by much. I do think the back of the jacket is just a tad baggy, and I'll be curious to hear comments after I post back/side pics.
    Thanks! When you say the sleeves look good, are you referring to the top near the shoulder, or the length? Because I definitely think the sleeves need to be shortened to show some cuff. Left needs to be shortened more than the right, as my right arm is slightly longer.
    I ordered a 44R from Kent, which is my usual jacket size, although I can sometimes wear a 42 depending on the cut. My actual chest measurement best as I can tell (measuring myself) is between 43 and 44 inches, around the fullest part of my chest. For further reference, I'm 5'11" with shoes on, and weigh about 190 lbs. Kent's jacket isn't as aggressively slim as I'd imagined it would be--and that's a good thing, as I'd feared the fit might be off in the chest or shoulders. Turns out, the cut is great on me. If you normally wear a 42, that's what I'd try first from Kent. If it's wrong, you can always send it back and try the 44 trial jacket before going MTM. Other thoughts on the jacket: the construction seems amazing. This will be my first fully canvased jacket, and it feels and drapes very nicely. I initially thought I'd go with a natural or soft shoulder, but after seeing the standard shoulder on the trial jacket, I think I'll stick with that. The padding is thinner than most OTR jackets I've tried, and is more how I imagined the "soft" shoulder option to be. As for other changes on my MTM jacket, I'll be opting for 4.5 inch lapels, "limited" as opposed to "extensive" pick stitching, and I'll be going with a mid gray fabric. Deciding between 102701, 7064, and 101037. I'll wait to see swatches before making my mind up. Also would like to drop the button stance, possibly 1.5 or 2cm?
    Looks great! How do you like the six-fold? I'm considering one of Kent's blue w/ flowers ties.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013