• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Evolve

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Seconded. Fridayfrenzy said this blazer is for business; patch packets are casual.

I think you guys have turned the issue into a false dichotomy. Sure, patch pockets might be more casual (or less formal) than flap, but patch pockets alone don't determine the overall formality of a jacket and whether or not it's appropriate for business. Also keep in mind that the majority of people--even in a conservative business dress setting--probably won't notice or care about pocket type; it's only us SF folk who get caught up in the details.

Edit: Beatlegeuse and aglose beat me to it.

Last edited:

europrep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Seconded. Fridayfrenzy said this blazer is for business; patch packets are casual.

+ 3 flap a definite. Save patch for 3rd or 4th sport coat in a more casual fabric

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1 on the no one will notice.

I think some of you are missing the point. He's having a blazer custom-made exclusively for business use. He doesn't HAVE to hope nobody notices its casual details. He can just not get them in the first place.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My KW navy blazer has patch pockets and I use it for business dress all the time. Nobody outside of SF will ever even notice this, let alone think that the patch pockets are too casual. All my suits have flap pockets so a navy blazer is the perfect article of clothing to switch it up a bit and get something different, IMO.
I agree with this mostly, but it wouldn't be that inappropriate to get flap pockets. An odd jacket with flap pockets is not wrong; a lot of good RTW makers do it. Some people also just don't like the look of patch pockets.

I am a little confused about the shoulder measurement of the suit jacket. Should I measure the straight line from the seam to seam?
Yes, straight line. Not a curved line trying to follow the shoulder seam up to the collar and then back down.

Evolve

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I think some of you are missing the point. He's having a blazer custom-made exclusively for business use. He doesn't HAVE to hope nobody notices its casual details. He can just not get them in the first place.

For me, patch pockets on a navy blazer are more about distinguishing it from an orphaned suit jacket, rather than attempting to make it more casual. If patch pockets lower the formality by a smidgen, so be it. After all, a sport coat of any type is casual relative to a suit. I can't imagine a scenario or environment that doesn't require a suit, yet somehow a sport coat with patch pockets isn't formal enough, simply because of said pockets.

I understand the need to adhere to norms and dress codes, but at some point, you have to dress for yourself. I think that's why most of us are on this site; we enjoy clothes and appreciate the finer sartorial details. As Kent mentioned, many RTW makers do flap pockets on blazers, but to me, patch pockets seem more appropriate.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I agree with everything Evolve said in the post above this one, and the point of my post was to show that you don't have to get flap pockets if you want to use a navy blazer for business use, as many others were suggesting. I was trying to show that you could get either, and nobody will notice or care. For me, I like patch pockets better for a navy blazer, but the buyer here can decide on what will work best or him, he doesn't have to get flap and he doesn't have to get patch, there are no hard and fast rules in this situation (despite what some sticklers may want you to believe).

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with the two of you although I'll add I dislike the triple patch pocket - there is a member or two here who own some where the chest pocket takes up the entire chest and I think that looks very bad.

aglose

Reaction score
Got the white linen pocket square the other day and the Egyptian Seti I Osiris. Both are amazing. Being a college student I aspire to make enough money to wear KW exclusively, but for now I will settle for the occasional PS and tie. Keep making great products and you'll have another customer for life!

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My post was written from the point of view that he had zero blazers and this would be the first, therefore flap would be traditionally more appropriate. SF groupthink is that you must master the basics before evolving to other details.

so how about this approach...order two, one with flap and one with patch.

topos

Reaction score
My post was written from the point of view that he had zero blazers and this would be the first, therefore flap would be traditionally more appropriate. SF groupthink is that you must master the basics before evolving to other details.

so how about this approach...order two, one with flap and one with patch.

Does the groupthink also suggest there's no upper bound for an appropriate number of blue jackets? Because my closet, undoubtedly affected by such groupthink, seems to suggest it might, which means your suggested approach is sound (just get different fabrics).

europrep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have 5 blue/ navy sport coats and only one is patch pocket - my most casual that is 100% cotton.

I think fabric and button choice will distinguish it as an odd jacket and be clear it is not an orphaned suit jacket.

erk

Reaction score
I think this has been mentioned here before but I can't find it - Are all the handgrade line shoes of the same last?

I wore the dress boot for the first time this weekend, for 10+ hours, and they were amazingly comfortable. I've never experienced anything like it from dress shoes, after a couple hours of walking around they felt like they had molded to my feet. Generally I find dress shoes to be mildly uncomfortable, at best.

p.henrik

Reaction score
The blazer debate has been settled long ago. A classic navy blazer should have patch side pocket (breast optional). It's not a question of use, business or not. Getting flap pockets would be a grave mistake.

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads