1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Kent Wang - Affiliate thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Kent Wang, Nov 23, 2009.

1. novaeagle

novaeagle Well-Known Member

Kent (or anyone else),

adding on to my previous questions, what 4-season wools would be best for someone who doesn't have much occasion to wear a suit? Obviously navy, but there's quite a few fabrics to choose from, and a lot of them aren't even listed!

2. DanTheLadiesMan

DanTheLadiesMan Well-Known Member

I really like the four seasons wool fabrics from the vbc four seasons book. I own a blue window pane suit that Aaron made for me. Everything from that book is a great value in my opinion. Most fabrics are either super 130s or 140s. If it's your first mtm suit, I would recommend sticking with something basic like a charcoal or navy twill fabric. I also really like the herringbone and nailhead fabrics if you want something that stands out a little more. You really can't go wrong with kents suits.

3. macjedi

macjedi Well-Known Member

Happy to help! The darker linens in that AA range would be great for work. I liked both the mid-blue and the brown. They are a good value and probably would have made better sense, being cheaper and more versatile … but the heart wants what the heart wants.

That said, from what I've seen in fotos, the W.Bill makes up beautifully … and all in all … still a good value I think.

4. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  5. MxmHrpr

MxmHrpr Active Member

Has anyone in this forum been to the London Kent showroom? Would like to know peoples experience with it, as if it's so "humble" I don't want to be getting in anyones way to just pick up a square & cufflinks and have a look at suit construction.

6. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Well-Known Member

Kent (and all others more knowledgeable than I)

Is there any price listing on Merino Bros website, or is it a case of contacting them for pricing?

Also, I will be traveling to NY this summer (August as of now I believe, though exact date is still in flux) and would love to set up a time to view the NY showroom? How far out does one have to schedule an appointment? I don't want to give you an incorrect date and be forced to bail.

7. Hotel Guy

Hotel Guy Well-Known Member

Some of my favorite KW gear (brown captoes not included bc they are currently being resoled)

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  8. PiCcolocV

PiCcolocV Well-Known Member

Jacobean Laton is, in my non-expert opinion, the perfect, absolutely perfect, spring/summer square. You can get so much variance out of it in how you fold it and what colors appear, goes with every outfit I can put together, and is simply gorgeous. Nice pick.

1 person likes this.
  9. Spurious

Spurious Well-Known Member

I've been to the showroom but I was specifically looking to get measured for a SC.
    He has some accessories there but by far not all of them - at least when I went.

It's probably best to contact Kent directly and ask him.
    If you want to get measured, it's absolutely perfect since he has all the fabric swatches there and you can try on everything.

10. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Well-Known Member

I'm going to second that; I've worn it with navy, grey, white, taupe, you name it. Here I am rocking it at a garden party last summer. One of my favourite squares ever (and this is from a guy who designs pocket squares). [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  11. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

I can never visualize how squares will look when they are folded/poofed etc, I always have to see a picture in action before I understand how great it actually looks. Thanks!

12. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Rickshaw Cart pocket square
    $45

You have to email them for pricing. You can also look at the Harrisons website. I think neither one is absolutely complete.

It's humble in the sense that it doesn't have wood paneling and mid-century teak furniture, though I'm working on the latter.

I'm happy to meet all customers.

6 people like this.
  13. Lowndes

Lowndes Well-Known Member

Are there ever any shipping discount codes? Not to be cheap but I ordered a pair of shoes last month and the shipping cost was like $17 and believe they were shipped via usps from the same town I live in. I was looking at ordering a few Saphir products a moment ago and the shipping would be $17 for USPS. Seems really high to me and I don't usually think twice about shipping charges.

14. easy_golfing

easy_golfing Well-Known Member

yeah shipping costs are kind of weird and some fairly high for anything...

15. ahjota

ahjota Well-Known Member

That Rickshaw Cart pocket square is hilarious.

16. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

Lol you guys do know that dress shoes weight like 10 pounds right? of course it's going to be expensive. Kent has previously said they actually lose money on shipping.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  17. novaeagle

novaeagle Well-Known Member

That might be an overestimation on your part.

18. Lowndes

Lowndes Well-Known Member

It was a pair of white sneakers that weigh like 2 or 3 pounds and cost $90. This next order was going to be Saphir renoveatuer, a shorn horn and a brush. Again couldn't be much more than a couple pounds but shipping was going to be $17 via USPS.. Finally my memory might be wrong but I live in Houston and thought the shoes shipped from Houston. Maybe I am completely wrong though because I've never heard that Kent Wang had a Houston affiliation.

19. yanagi

yanagi Well-Known Member

My burgundy grenadine shipped from Texas. IIRC, Kent currently lives in London but was raised in Texas.

20. hookem12387

hookem12387 Well-Known Member

Kent is from Houston and went to Texas. I think it's been awhile since he lived here, but he does or has had a warehouse/shipper from the greater Houston area. All that said, we've had discussions on this thread re shipping previously, and Kent's done a good job of explaining why the shipping costs are what they are. I think he's tried to cut his losses there, but still loses a bit. His prices just dont have a built in cover that would allow for taking a hit on shipping