1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Kent Wang - Affiliate thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Kent Wang, Nov 23, 2009.

1. PTMDallas

PTMDallas Member

+1

Looks great

2. zielschuss

zielschuss Well-Known Member

Looks very nice! So this is definitely the 38 trial suit? Do you mind divulging how tall you are and how much you weigh? I'm planning to order the trial suit and have a feeling we have a similar build.

3. conradwu

conradwu Well-Known Member

4. mrjester

mrjester Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone.

It's a 38 for sure. I weigh 178, 6' flat.

The next changes are +1cm to the waist to stop the pull, +1cm to the length, +1cm to the sleeve length, and -1 in the back across the blades, as per Kent.. Pretty sure that'll make it perfect.

5. Superfluous

Superfluous Well-Known Member

You could use shorter sleeves and a smaller armhole.

6. mrjester

Shorter sleeves? These are already maybe 1cm too short. The bend in the arms somewhat hides the fact. I like my sleeves to be a little longer, not much of the shirt showing (1cm).

I'm pretty sure the armhole on the jackets can't be changed. And it's already pretty high, how do you see that it should be changed?

7. Winston S.

Winston S. Well-Known Member

I don't think I would go shorter in the sleeves either.

8. Al in Philly

Al in Philly Well-Known Member

I also do not agree with the shorter sleeve assesment. I think they are good where they are. The armhole may need to be taken up, but I really would need to see more photos to give the 100% thumbs up.

9. mrjester

The armholes are very high already. I haven't taken any pictures of them but I'd imagine they're pretty close to the same on all of the jackets. So Al, you can see on yours. They're pretty good where they are. Maybe since my arms are bent inwards it looks like they're low but you can see from the inside picture that they're reasonably high.

I think Super is trolling. If not, sorry.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  10. Al in Philly

I raised my armholes .5cm, and I'm 6'2" 180lbs.

If ain't broke, don't fix it. I think the jacket looks good, man.

Now start looking at fabrics for the wedding in October that you're going too. I suggest a light grey DB... with roped shoulders.

11. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Well-Known Member

Al: what do you think of that alteration? I'm your height, but 10 pounds heavier with a fairly muscular build. Kent has suggested I raise the armholes as well and I'm curious how that worked out for you.

12. Al in Philly

I like the change. .5cm isn't that much of a alteration, so it's not such a big deal. Also, it's not really a noticeable change, more of a "Fit" change (unlike sleeve length, that is totally noticeable).

One thing I will recommend is that whatever shirts you wear with the suit has high enough armholes as well, or else you will be stuffing your shirt sleeves through little armholes.

13. mrjester

The shirts are from Luxire and the armholes are already too high. The next ones will have shorter sleeves and a lower armhole.

I mean the armhole is high. I have to tuck my undershirt sleeve in to it and it takes some time to make sure it's not bunched up - a silly problem to have. My fault, not theirs.

If I can raise the armholes .5cm or so, I'll consult Kent about it. The ratio of emails between us is 4:1 (I email him 4 times before he can respond once) so I'll wait a little bit :-D

I actually need an interview suit first as I am currently applying for other jobs. I'll probably get a suit that has slacks that I could use with a nice odd jacket that I could use for the wedding. I'm not much of a suit guy, I like odd jackets much much more. And a DB is too much for me. I may go peak lapels but I think I'd rather just go with wide notch lapels instead of standard or wide w/peak. I tried to photoshop this jacket with wide lapels to see how it would look on me and was unsuccessful.

Either way, Kents getting another order Tuesday for a full suit when I get my pants back from the tailors and can tell him what to change on the measurements.

14. Al in Philly

If you need an interview suit so that the trousers will double with an odd jacket, you could go dark grey. Not so dark that it's charcoal, just a shade darker than mid grey (you can see pics of my mid-dark grey on this thread or in my profile photos). mid-dark grey pants will go with basically any odd jacket, except a similarly colored jacket that doesn't match.

DO IT!! [​IMG]

15. msulinski

msulinski Well-Known Member

While this would certainly work, I wouldn't do it. Trousers tend to wear out faster than jackets anyway. If you start wearing them on their own, you are going to end up with worn-out pants and a suit jacket you can't wear because it doesn't match anything. I recommend just getting a separate pair of mid-gray pants. This also allows you to get mid gray instead of mid-to-dark gray, which I think works a bit better as odd pants.

1 person likes this.
  16. Al in Philly

This is solved by buying two pairs of pants with each suit purchase!!

1 person likes this.
  17. msulinski

msulinski Well-Known Member

I was just cautioning the poster about trying to use his suit pants as odd trousers too.

18. mrjester

+1.

Ideally, that's what you do for suits you intend to keep for a long while.

19. poissa

poissa Well-Known Member

Are you dropping linen/cotton blended shirts?

20. Superfluous

Superfluous Well-Known Member

Do what you want, but your sleeves are too long with your arms bent (which shortens them), so they'd be even longer with your arms straight. I don't like excess material hanging on me, but if you do, then that's fine. Carry on.

Here is a photo of Vox. If you don't see a difference, then that's fine. Ignorance is bliss. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013