1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Kent Wang - Affiliate thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Kent Wang, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Well-Known Member

I've noticed this as well and have also been wondering about it. I hope the manufacturer is the same, as I love Kent's suits and have an MTM on the way, and I also won the free suit contest from Tiberias. As nice as KW's suits are, I'd be more than happy if Tiberias uses the same maker. I can post a review and comparison between the two, though it will be a couple months 'til I have both. In the meantime, hopefully someone can share some definitive insight.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  2. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Well-Known Member

Good question. Someone in another thread pointed out a fabric swatch book from Proper Suit that looked similar to some of KW's S/S fabrics. I suspect there are a few manufacturers who are better at servicing the smaller operations.

3. katabatic

katabatic Well-Known Member

The Tiberias website is, in fact, using some of the exact same photos that appeared in the KW spring lookbook. Either they both got them from the same source, or Tiberias needs to have a talk with their web designer.

4. 13g411

13g411 Member

I actually spotted the look book, with fabrics, in a local store in Sweden. When I talked to the store owner he told me that the European distributor for these MTM-suits is a Dutch company but the manufacturing actually takes place in China. Further to this I've heard rumors (not at all from a trustworthy source) that the same factory actually supplies Suit Supply with their suits according to their specs.

Would be interesting to learn more about this.

5. Hampton

Hampton Well-Known Member

Good fit m8.

6. dgonsh

dgonsh Well-Known Member

Emailed kent a couple times, usually he responds super fast so i just assume he's busy or on vacation or something. Definitely not complaining. he has some of the best customer service in the business.

wanted to know if the green polo was being restocked in L so I could buy the newly restocked grey and green short sleeved polos together. In waiting, the grey got backordered after being in stock for like 2 days. Sunuvabitch, my own fault for not acting quicker I guess.

Anyone have any IRL photos of the green polo. Im hoping for a kelly green more than a lime green and stock photos are hard to tell sometimes.

7. kmitch101

kmitch101 Well-Known Member

Did anyone else get one of the new batch of navy polos? The collar length in the front seems to be .25" or so longer than the previous polo shirts I've ordered. I'm trying to figure out if it's a slight change in the design or specific to this particular shirt. It's probably wearable, but definitely noticeable looking at two of them side by side and I prefer the shorter length. I haven't contacted Kent yet, so if any of you have any insight it would be appreciated.

8. Superfluous

Superfluous Well-Known Member

Maybe it shrinks after a wash.

9. Flyswatter

Beatlegeuse, is that tie 3 or 3.5 inches? I selected wide lapels on my Kent Wang suit (which should be arriving this week), and I'm beginning to wonder if my 3.5 inch ties will be a bit too thin for the 4.5 inch lapels. I have a few 3 5/8 ties on the way from Sam Hober, but I'm wondering if even those will be too thin for the wide lapels. The classical wisdom dictates roughly matching tie width and lapel width, but adhering to this strictly in this case would be absurd, as I'm not about to wear 4.5 inch ties, lol. I think 3.75 is as high as I'd go and I think would still be in proportion with the wider lapels, but even 3.75 inch ties are hard to find theses days. Any thoughts?

By the way, your suit looks great, Beatlegeuse!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  10. kmitch101

kmitch101 Well-Known Member

I've actually already given a wash a short dry with the same noticeable difference. Haven't decided whether I'm bothered by it or not.

11. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Well-Known Member

I think you're taking the rule too literally. I personally wear 3" ties with standard width 3.5" lapels. I don't think 3.75" or any larger looks good on any one, regardless of lapel width. Really, I think the only acceptable tie widths are 3 to 3.5". Anything else looks dated.

That shouldn't be the case. Email sales@kentwang.com if you'd like a replacement.

White sneakers up to size 12 will be in late May. Size 13 may be in July.

It's made from Horween cordovan, which only comes in one thickness. But because it's only a single piece of leather it's thin compared to most other bands which are usually composed of two pieces of leather.

12. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Well-Known Member

Thanks for the compliment! The tie is 3.5 inches, and the suit has 4.5 inch wide lapels and I think it looks fine. Actually I haven't measured the lapels on my suit, so I'm not sure if they're exaxtly 4.5 inches, they might be just a tad smaller. I'm not too much of a stickler for matching tie width and lapel width, as long as I'm not wearing a super skinny tie with wide lapels or vice versa.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  13. Flyswatter

You guys are right: I'm probably overthinking the whole tie/lapel width thing. I've been overthinking a lot of things recently. :embar:

14. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Well-Known Member

too much time spent on SF will do that, along with making you second guess every decision you've ever made about clothings. Moderation and holding grains of salt are key.

In general, my 2 cents is that as long as the general proportions are similar then no one is going to really have a beef. If you wear a 5" 1970s lapels and a 2" skinny piano key necktie, it will look weird. Same goes if you have a Topman lapel with a massive wide tie. But keep it in the same family and you're golden.

1 person likes this.
  15. AceBoogie

AceBoogie Well-Known Member

I wear 3 in ties with 3.5 in lapel suits all the time. I even went with a 2.75 in tie once but I wouldn't go any lower than that for a 3.5 lapel

16. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Well-Known Member

Just got my Kent Wang trial suit for MTM. I haven't scrutinized it yet, but I was shocked to see I might not need too many alterations beyond length and a few nips and tucks. Will post pictures tomorrow to get thoughts from others on what needs to be done.

1 person likes this.
  17. Flyswatter

I had a similar experience with the trial suit; I was pleasantly surprised to find that the jacket needed very few alterations. Looking forward to seeing pictures of yours. Have you decided on a fabric and details for your suit?

I just received confirmation that my MTM suit has shipped from Kent's warehouse. :) Should arrive Wednesday or Thursday.

18. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Well-Known Member

I know it will be solid navy, but have not received the swatches yet to pick a specific fabric.

19. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

An example of our shawl collar

1 person likes this.
  20. nickrut

nickrut Well-Known Member

Hey Kent - Any update on the size 48 jacket?