1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Kelly on "The Apprentice"

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by OnTheMark, Dec 17, 2004.

1. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Well-Known Member

Wasn't she at Brobeck? At least Trump gave her the dignity of directly telling her "you're fired" rather than just closing up the shop one day . . . .

2. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Well-Known Member

Brobeck and then Clifford Chance after Brobeck closed up. Interesting how working for the "world's biggest law firm" was made to sound like an accomplishment. I wouldn't with a job at CF on anybody.

3. johnnynorman3

Montecristo, did Jen even finish cum laude?

4. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Well-Known Member

What's so bad about Clifford Chance?  I can't imagine that they would be any better or any worse than any NY-based firm.

5. bryce330

bryce330 Well-Known Member

I would not call Brobeck "at best a second tier law firm." True, they were horribly managed in hindsight, but back in the day they had their pick of the top graduates of the nation's top law schools. I know several people who chose Brobeck over firms like Skadden, Latham, & Williams & Connolly.

6. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Well-Known Member

Skadden, Latham, etc. are second tier firms. First tier (New York) is Cravath, Davis Polk, Sullivan & Cromwell, etc. Boston Ropes and Gray, Hale and Dorr. Etc.

I don't know if Jen finished cum laude, but I suspect that if she had (maybe 20-30% of each graduating class gets cum laude) she would have said something about it. I do know that she doesn't know how to pronounce "laude", which I found disturbing.

7. johnnynorman3

My wife found it strange that Jen wouldn't mention Harvard honors or journal work or anything. I think that is evidence that she graduated without honors.

Clifford Chance is definitely not a first tier firm. Second tier at best. Brobeck I think was probably a "first tier" firm -- meaning that it was hot and a lot of good recruits went there over even places like MoFo -- back in the day. But Clifford Chance is not that impressive. Between Skadden and CF, Skadden is much, much better. I think Harvard sends maybe 1 or 2 people to CF each year at most.

8. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Well-Known Member

In my opinion, the "name" value of a law firm is overrated.  It affects your future lateral mobility, but only to a certain extent.  (Sure, you won't be able to go from Billy Joe Thibodeaux and Associates to Cravath, but would you really want to?)  And as for the work, it's not like attorneys at Clifford Chance are doing late-night commercials.

9. bryce330

I don't want to get into a lame argument about firm prestige, especially on a style board, but on a national level Williams & Connolly & Latham & Watkins are more prestigious than Ropes, Hale, and probably Davis Polk.  

As for Clifford Chance, I believe most of its US offices were obtained through its merger with Rogers & Wells, which was a third-tier firm at best.

10. johnnynorman3

I think Latham is definitely a power-house, whereas Ropes and Hale are by virtue of being in Boston less prestigious -- though Ropes is the firm of Archie Cox and a number of other Harvard professors.

Williams & Connelly is simply a first-class firm, definitely top tier. Without question. Nobody said Williams was second tier.

11. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Well-Known Member

Johnny-- I'd say Canali suits would be great for someone like Bill, even in the $250K per year category; however, I'm thinking his suits aren't of that eschelon-- Dolce at BEST, and I don't think they are even of that calibre.

I guess this discussion should also take into consideration that all of these candidates were supposed to pack an airline roller-case with clothes, and live on this wardrobe (doing various tasks like selling hotdogs and icecream, or meeting with Pepsi execs) for 15 weeks. What would I pack? Man, I don't know if I'd push my Brionis thru that kind of punishment-- especially given that you're supposed to pack your rollerbag each time you make a trip to the boardroom..

12. bryce330

That part of the show was completely fake (as was most of the show actually). They were basically allowed to bring as much stuff as they wanted (remember Kwame's tie collection from last season?), and they were supplied with additional clothing by the show's sponsors.

The rollerbag thing was a joke - the "boardroom" was a set constructed especially for the show, and it was in the same building as the suite in which the candidates lived. When the fired candidates left in a taxi, they were taken to a hotel down the street where they stayed until filming of the show was complete. I'm sure they were either allowed to come back to the suite to pick up the rest of their clothes or somebody did it for them.

13. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Well-Known Member

aha.....well......so much for any reality in 'reality TV.' Boy, I guess I got sucked in by the whole unreality of the show.

14. EastDevil

EastDevil Member

I am amazed a bunch if people who are diehard into fashion are discussing lawyers on a fashion forum. [​IMG]

15. esquire.

esquire. Well-Known Member

Clearly, the show needs to shake things up next time around as this second season felt stale and recycled. But, I don't even know why they bother with people who only have high school diplomas. No matter how much leadership they display, Trump is not going to hire somebody like that to lead one of his corporations. The highest someone like that can go is all the way up to the final four. The problem is that he seems to really value people who can handle the boardroom, even though they didn't display greatness like Jen and Kwame from last year. I had a tough time trying to figure out what Jen was really like as a person. But, I can tell she's a much better lawyer than Kelly, who also went to law school. I really thought Pamela should have gone much further. Carolyn seemed jealous to have a potential strong woman in the Trump organization.

16. AlanC

AlanC Well-Known Member

No, Trump is not going to hire someone without a degree. He's even essentially fired people for it (and justly so, I might add). Trump clearly wants a balance between high education and experience. Under and over educated people tend to get the ax. I think Pamela and Brad both are people who could/should have gone much deeper. Of course, Brad was an idiot for arrogantly tossing aside his immunity, and Trump probably was right for tossing him overboard for it. And, um, I hope they all dress better... [​IMG]

17. Heron

Heron Well-Known Member

Don't count on it - they'll dress to fit the stereotype that the show's producers have put out. College grads - nerdy and high school - rumpled. I'm not saying those stereotypes are accurate just that they'll want to differentiate them in every way possible, in other words - pure shlock.