• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am going to have to chide my favorite sales rep for not letting my know of this in advance.  I have bought a dozen shirts and a number of square so far and didn't get word

It probably would have helped if Kamakura had sent out a "Happy New Year" e-mail which also informed people of the fukubukuro (literally "good luck bags"). However, perhaps it was (mistakenly) not considered necessary by Japanese management as virtually every store in Japan has fukubukuro on offer in early January so, for Japanese businesses, it would simply be taken for granted that people would know that something like that was happening.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Noticed that on their website today when I was trying to find a blue university stripe shirt. Got a call from an SA this morning to let me know that they received a striped OCBD (uneven widths) in their last shipment in my size, but to also inform me they were not planning on receiving any more even widthed university stripe OCBDs in their NY store anymore.

JackFlash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It probably would have helped if Kamakura had sent out a "Happy New Year" e-mail which also informed people of the fukubukuro (literally "good luck bags"). However, perhaps it was (mistakenly) not considered necessary by Japanese management as virtually every store in Japan has fukubukuro on offer in early January so, for Japanese businesses, it would simply be taken for granted that people would know that something like that was happening.

Was announced only on their Facebook page.

size 38R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is this "Facebook" you speak of? Is it a place one can go to learn of Kamakura sales?
i believe it is a subtle interrogation method.

Kamakura sales can be found online.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^^^ noticed this too. I don't know why they'd not produce a staple item like that. I'm.hoping.they bring back the darker solid blue ocdb. I've got no use for those new striped ones.
Think I am going to get one made up from Luxire, as soon as I determine how to measure and adjust an existing shirt.

ultramantaro

Reaction score
Does anyone know if they do italian collars? I'm not too much into the button down or spread collars. Otherwise it's great to have a Made in Japan clothing brand without the exorbitant prices. Too bad they don't have one in San Francisco.

inimitable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I received the knit shirt I ordered yesterday and I have to say that I was rather disappointed. The fit is very tent-like and the fabric has an unpleasant handle to it. I'll doubtless be returning it.

This is in direct contrast to the NY Slim Fit shirts, which I would say are the best fitting RTW shirts I have experienced and amazing value for money to boot.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did anybody buy the linen shirts? Would be interested to hear feedback, sizing, fit, quality, etc.

thegiver

Reaction score
I want to buy a couple of new dress shirts, but I'm unsure when it comes to size.
(I'm very skinny. 14 1/2 - 33 neck/sleeve. One of my better fitting shirts is a small, extra slim fit Express 1MX.)

Shirts in question:
Tokyo Slim Fit Broadcloth White
Tokyo Slim Fit Broadcloth Blue

I'm thinking about buying the 14 1/2 - 32 size.

Are the sleeves going to be too short, even if I'm careful about shrinkage? Should I size up to 15 - 32 1/3, or would that make the shirt too baggy? I have no idea how "slim" their fit truly is.

ellsbebc

Reaction score

I want to buy a couple of new dress shirts, but I'm unsure when it comes to size.
(I'm very skinny. 14 1/2 - 33 neck/sleeve. One of my better fitting shirts is a small, extra slim fit Express 1MX.)

Shirts in question:
Tokyo Slim Fit Broadcloth White
Tokyo Slim Fit Broadcloth Blue

I'm thinking about buying the 14 1/2 - 32 size.

Are the sleeves going to be too short, even if I'm careful about shrinkage? Should I size up to 15 - 32 1/3, or would that make the shirt too baggy? I have no idea how "slim" their fit truly is.

Measure a well fitting dress shirt, the Express shirt you mention. Then reference the measurements for the Kamakura for comparison. There is a measurement chart for every type of fit, and by size.

thegiver

Reaction score
Measure a well fitting dress shirt, the Express shirt you mention. Then reference the measurements for the Kamakura for comparison. There is a measurement chart for every type of fit, and by size.
I've already measured the Express shirt- it comes out to about 14.5/33. Still curious to hear about typical sleeve length and shrinkage, especially on broadcloth.

Also, the chest and waist measurements for the Tokyo Slim seem pretty off compared to what I'm measuring on my Express shirt. 40 inch chest? 35.5 inch waist?
I'm looking at a 22 inch chest and 20 inch waist on the Express. Is this an error on their part, or am I measuring wrong?

Edit: Just found this. I'm 5'10", 142lbs, very similar build as StephenB. I guess I should size up to the 15 - 32 1/3?
I went to Kamakura friday night. Got fitted up by a very nice guy named Jay.

As for the shirts they drape perfectly on my. They look much better than the Brook ESF shirts I have. Attached are pictures of the fit on me. This is obviously pre first wash but the instore shirts you can try on have been previously washed and the drape and feel is great on those. All I can say is if BB ESF shirts were your staple shirt (as it was mine) def give Kamakura a try.

Pictured is a 15 - 32.33 in a Tokyo Slim. For reference I am 5'8" 145lb

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads