• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, yes. They'd be fine as a casual shirt, but I'd think they'd be too short to tuck in.

Louys

Reaction score
Are the linen smalls really that slim and short? The size charts say that the small linen is a 16-34 (ref:http://kamakurashirts.com/contents/styleguide/) but it seems like a lot of you have had quite a different experience. Do you think their site just isn't up to date with their current models?

AceBoogie

Reaction score
so i had an interview near this store and after the interview, i went to check it out.
I have never had a retail salesman be more helpful

the 14.5 in tokyo slim had the sleeves too short unfortunately
the next size up sleeve length was just right. i bought it but im hoping the sleeves wont shrink any because then it will be too short for me.

Linen shirts are are nice but the collar roll wasnt as good.

uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx

Reaction score
Just found out about the company today, copped a white/blue OCBD. Was insane that they only had one of each in stock.

To the people who think the sizing is weird: If you read the guy's website, he clearly states that the shirts are made (Collar + 1/3") and (Sleeves + 2/3") to account for shrinkage.

If I'm a size 15.5/34, I'm probably looking at a shirt sized 16/35.

Last edited:

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just found out about the company today, copped a white/blue OCBD. Was insane that they only had one of each in stock.

To the people who think the sizing is weird: If you read the guy's website, he clearly states that the shirts are made (Collar + 1/3") and (Sleeves + 2/3") to account for shrinkage.

The thing is, they don't shrink much, if at all.

JackFlash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The site clearly says that the shirts shrink to the marked size; they don't mean that 16/35 will shrink to 15.5/34.

garymyman

Reaction score
Just wanted to post some more collar Appreciation of their new 300 shirts ($180). I haven't ordered one yet but I want the white one real bad.

Omar1223

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anyone know if they got rid of the 15 1/3" inch size in new york slim fit? it hasnt been on the website and im not sure if its sold out or been replaced by a 15 1/2" size.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
I visited Kamakura today for an SF article, and it was awesome. The staff was super friendly and the shirts are a pretty unbelievable deal for the price -- Made in Japan, great fabrics, and the fits are spot on. I would say that they fit much slimmer than the measurements suggest. I'm a 16.5/34, and I found the 16/35 to be a very spot on slim fit in the Tokyo Slim Fit.

I tried on their pique and linen shirts as well - the large in linen was a good slim fit, and I was an LL in the pique was very comfortable (I would maybe order a L to try).

Some of the issues with sizing is that the shirts are sized in metric sizes, so everything is a conversion to Western sizing, which is not a precise process.

The 300 collection shirts (300 thread count) are really great as well. Lots of handwork, and thick MOP buttons. The standard shirts have trocas shell buttons.

MTM will start August 1st, and is a flat $180. There is no upcharge based on fabrics, and the fabric options will include Thomas Mason Silver Line.

Correction: MTM will start August 1st.

Last edited:

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I visited Kamakura today for an SF article, and it was awesome. The staff was super friendly and the shirts are a pretty unbelievable deal for the price -- Made in Japan, great fabrics, and the fits are spot on. I would say that they fit much slimmer than the measurements suggest. I'm a 16.5/34, and I found the 16/35 to be a very spot on slim fit in the Tokyo Slim Fit.

I tried on their pique and linen shirts as well - the large in linen was a good slim fit, and I was an LL in the pique was very comfortable (I would maybe order a L to try).

Some of the issues with sizing is that the shirts are sized in metric sizes, so everything is a conversion to Western sizing, which is not a precise process.

The 300 collection shirts (300 thread count) are really great as well. Lots of handwork, and thick MOP buttons. The standard shirts have trocas shell buttons.

MTM will start October 1st, and is a flat $180. There is no upcharge based on fabrics, and the fabric options will include Thomas Mason Silver Line.

looking forward to the write up, though I think their sweet price point is their $79 stuff, can't beat that.

CrimsonSox

Reaction score
Looking forward to the write up! I'm curious about the 300 collection shirts. The finest shirting fabric I've seen before was a 200, but the Kamakura did feel finer than that.

Something that's remarkable is why friendly service is not more common (the fact that it's rare is why so many people have noticed the good service at Kamakura, and other places like Turnbull and Asser). You'd think that stores would have a major financial incentive to have helpful service to attract and retain customers, and perhaps even to stay in business when competition is intense. While there are many good sales associates, it seems that everyone has had experiences with indifferent or snobby sales people who have an attitude problem. Why aren't managers supervising their staffs more carefully, in the financial interest of their stores?

MTM will start October 1st, and is a flat $180. There is no upcharge based on fabrics, and the fabric options will include Thomas Mason Silver Line.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads