1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Kamakura Shirts - Madison Ave Store

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Eustace Tilley, Jan 25, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

I'm a 16.5/35 and I found the 16/35 to be a good, slim fit (in the Tokyo Slim Fit model).

jrd: I say this not as a shill - nobody is paying me - but I found the quality of Kamakura's fabrics, the fit and the finishing comparable to much, much more expensive shirt brands.

2. fourinhand

fourinhand Member

I've got two of the Kamakura OCBDs, and I love them. Despite my best efforts, however, I've been unable to put my hands on the club collar shirt, which looks fantastic. Does anyone happen to own one? I'd love to see some pictures.

3. cannan

cannan Well-Known Member

I just recieved two of the tokyo fit OCBD's in blue and white and I couldn't be happier. I'm going to order one more in each color before the end of the summer. They are taking a seat at the front of the line for my shirt rotation at work.

4. conradwu

conradwu Well-Known Member

Stopped by today and picked up a linen shirt. Great casual shirt though a bit short to work tucked in.

They will be introducing a "special" anniversary OCBD as a way to celebrate the 1 year opening of their Madison ave store.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  5. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Well-Known Member

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

Agreed. It's higher than I expected.

Not sure if this has been pointed out, but it looks like they have increased the sleeve length of the New York Slim Fit 16 1/2 from 36 1/3 to 36 1/2 on the newer shirts. I may actually try one now as that was what was holding me back before.

6. clee1982

clee1982 Well-Known Member

Well, I am still with the $79 ones

7. arnathor

arnathor Well-Known Member

I imagine you do not button the shirt up to the neck, Teger?

8. stevent

stevent Well-Known Member

Quick search didn't really yield much in actual measurements, can't figure out if I'm a 15 3/4 or a 16. Anybody have shoulder / chest / back length / waist measurements on a shirt they have?

9. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Well-Known Member

Let me add my voice to those who have visited the store and had a nice experience. It's a small, tidy shop, easy to miss as you walk Madison.

As noted, the sales associates are really helpful and friendly. Opted for a single Tokyo Slim which fit me perfectly. The collar roll is, as reported by many, excellent. The main downside, for me, is the use of darts to slim the shirt. I will email the company to encourage them to slim without using darts, and if others feel the same way, then I would suggest a nice, supportive email as well. The fabric was excellent 100/2, a light weight shirting fabric.

Linen shirts were only in S/M/L and sleeve length is an issue (the collar is lower on these shirts as well). To get the right sleeve length, I had to go to an L, then had a billowy shirt in the back. Could slim down with my tailor, but at 99 dollars a shirt, that is perhaps too much.

Had only 20 minutes before I had to run to the airport (fortunately, they open at 9AM!), but would happily go again next time I'm in NYC.

10. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Well-Known Member

I should note, it seemed like they had more styles than are available on the website (saw some nice, summery check shirts).

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  11. bLaZ3n

bLaZ3n Well-Known Member

Have heard a lot about this brand, will try to check them out... these shirts ever go on discount?

12. conradwu

13. clee1982

Doubt it, though guess you can wait for a year, if they don't discount on summer or christmas then it's not going to happen other than the once every 5 year kind of thing I suppose...

14. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Well-Known Member

Few new arrivals today -

Light blue/white oxford BD

[​IMG]

Sky blue poplin semi spread.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  15. clee1982

Nice, finally some new stuff

16. conradwu

I believe they will be doing a chambray version of the button-down soon.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  17. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

They fit me fine in the neck.

18. clee1982

Nice!

19. arnathor

arnathor Well-Known Member

Fantastic! I'm very likely to purchase a shirt now. I do hope it'll actually fit me! I read that people recommend one to size up? But in your opinion, go with 16/35?

20. mossrockss

mossrockss Well-Known Member

Yeah their sizing does not work for me at all on paper, but if a 16 collar (which works for me in some brands) works, then I'd be willing to give the a try, if only to spite BB for their damn price increase!