1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Just finished my first DE razor shave

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by odoreater, Jun 19, 2006.

1. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Well-Known Member

Actually, you answered well, I asked wrong! Thanks!​

2. Style guy

Style guy Well-Known Member

Never use pressure with a DE razor. Let the weight of the razor do the work. I use Proraso cream and it is some of the best.

3. studyscoot

studyscoot Active Member

holy thread revival, batman!

4. Murdoc

Murdoc Well-Known Member

Hey,

So over the last year or so shaving has taken a turn for the worse, my face is just getting gnarled up like nuts. Not sure what changed, it's kind of weird actually, I'm using the same off the shelf products as ever.

Anyway, time to get real and do this properly but need a little help with recommendations on where to start here. There seems to be huge price differences between brushes and such, so could anyone recommend a good starter kit? Brush, Foam, blade?

I'm not sure if it depends on skin or face type, but I have pretty sensetive skin it seems (and getting more sensetive with age, apparently) and I've always shaved against the grain; though someone already mentioned not to try that starting out with a DE.

Maybe in that case a moisturizer recommendation would be appropriate as well?

Thanks in advance,

5. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

Search around, most of your questions are likely already answered here, on badger and blade, and shave my face forums.

As far as "starter kit" I don't think you should really mess with that. Spend a little money and your kit will outlive you.

6. Murdoc

Murdoc Well-Known Member

I didn't literally mean a kit, I just mean a few items of quality brands I can purchase that will be off to a good start.

I'll poke around the sites you mentioned, thanks.

7. underwearer

underwearer Well-Known Member

tweezerman badger brush ($12), vintage Gillette Superspeed($15), Blue Bird blades($5), proraso cream($5), $1 store oversized coffee cup. If you want to get fancy get some Tabac soap for $10.

8. Cavalier

Cavalier Well-Known Member

As blasphemous as it sounds, I found using plebian shaving gel/cream with my DE to work great (way better then any kind of cartridge shave I've had), and be a lot more convenient for me right now...

9. underwearer

As blasphemous as it sounds, I found using plebian shaving gel/cream with my DE to work great (way better then any kind of cartridge shave I've had), and be a lot more convenient for me right now...

noting wrong with teh goo..Barbasol w/ lanolin (yellow can) is pretty good. But I prefer a nice warm proraso cream or tallow soap like tabac or Im using vintage Williams right now.

10. Davidko19

Davidko19 Well-Known Member

think i found my perfect combination of products. now I have like 50 extra razor blades from a sample pack that I have no use for except cutting the crap outta my face. Any use for these or just dump em?

11. bmf895

bmf895 Well-Known Member

think i found my perfect combination of products. now I have like 50 extra razor blades from a sample pack that I have no use for except cutting the crap outta my face. Any use for these or just dump em?

Send them to me! [​IMG] I have always used Feathers but am up for an experiment.

12. underwearer

Ill take them

13. Davidko19

i guess I can send them if y'all want them.

Can you ship razor blades? The outer box is opened, obviously. But they are all individually wrapped in their sheaths. hows $10 sound?

14. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

Send them to someone else. That's part of the fun getting into this. When I first got into wet shaving a few years ago with the DE and brush, I signed onto shavemyface.com and badgerandblade.com.

The gents there were more than generous sending me free samples, blades, even razors to get me started.

Once I got into it, I found it was even more fun to send stuff to newbies myself.

15. underwearer

what brand are they? If you're cutting your face up you're dong something wrong. I can shave with merkurs, feathers, derby, walmart personna, pretty much all of them.

I prefer Kai, Feather, and Bue Birds in my vintage Gillette Superspeed.

16. Davidko19

Send them to someone else. That's part of the fun getting into this. When I first got into wet shaving a few years ago with the DE and brush, I signed onto shavemyface.com and badgerandblade.com.

The gents there were more than generous sending me free samples, blades, even razors to get me started.

Once I got into it, I found it was even more fun to send stuff to newbies myself.

True, but the shipping and going to the post office aint paying for itself. Obviously Im not trying to get rich off 50 blades.

what brand are they? If you're cutting your face up you're dong something wrong. I can shave with merkurs, feathers, derby, walmart personna, pretty much all of them.

I prefer Kai, Feather, and Bue Birds in my vintage Gillette Superspeed.

Im mainly cutting up my neck. The red personnas work best for me I think, I just bought 100 of them for my HD. I have to do a few passes but it doesnt cut me up. SOme of the others, esp feather and derby, were rough man.

I have all kinds from the west coast shaving big sample pack. Maybe like 8 or 9 brands with anywhere from 2 - 8 blades each... Feathers, derby, personna, gillete, bic, astra, merkur, dorco and maybe one or 2 more I cant think of off the top of my head.

17. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

Shipping blades and razors isn't expensive. Most people don't really worry about it.

18. underwearer

Ditch the Merkur and get a vintage Gillette and you wont ever cut yourself again.

True, but the shipping and going to the post office aint paying for itself. Obviously Im not trying to get rich off 50 blades.

Im mainly cutting up my neck. The red personnas work best for me I think, I just bought 100 of them for my HD. I have to do a few passes but it doesnt cut me up. SOme of the others, esp feather and derby, were rough man.

I have all kinds from the west coast shaving big sample pack. Maybe like 8 or 9 brands with anywhere from 2 - 8 blades each... Feathers, derby, personna, gillete, bic, astra, merkur, dorco and maybe one or 2 more I cant think of off the top of my head.

19. smithsj

smithsj Well-Known Member

Any particular date code on the Gillete Super Speeds that I should look for or are all of them equally good?

20. Davidko19

Ditch the Merkur and get a vintage Gillette and you wont ever cut yourself again.

any particualr kind i should keep an eye out for? Some of the cuts could be partially on my prep and technique.

Awww hell, I just bought 100 personnas... I should be good for a while. Would those act any differnt with a gillete?