1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

JoS. A. Bank - Quality/Contruction/Pricing Answers

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mcmillin, May 7, 2009.

1. mcmillin

mcmillin Well-Known Member

mcmillin, very impressive that you are answering these questions. My question has to do with incredible collar shrinkage in your executive (not Traveler) dress shirts. I bought three 15.5 neck size shirts. I returned them to the JAB store and when the rep measured the neck size, they had shrunk to 14.75 inches after about three months of ownership. Though I take shirts to a laundry, I have never has any dress shirt shrink this much. JAB graciously exchanged the shirts and I now just by 16s in this model. What is your take on this?

Honestly, I don't own any of our Exec shirts. I am surprised they shrank that much - that seems pretty excessive - and I haven't had any of my clients have the same experience. When you take them to the cleaners are they dry cleaned or laundered and pressed?

2. mcmillin

I find Jos. A. Bank to be fine for sports clothes and have found decent golf wear. I have found some of the fabrics in the sports clothes to be a bit heavier than I would prefer. I also did well with a slim cut summer weight wool/linen suit.

For me, the basic problem is that the fabrics on all but the most top end business suits feel stiff and slightly unpleasant. At the Jos. A. Bank price point, I would rather go for a deeply discounted BB or HF on the bay.

Thank you for posting however and I do agree that one could dress from head to toe at JAB and look quite presentable. I also imagine it as being the perfect shop for middle management and higher for whom dressing appropriately is important, but for whom dressing is not a hobby or obsession

In sportswear, you might like our Stays Cool line better than the Traveler or regular JoS. A. Bank line. The fabrics are much lighter and they help dissipate heat and moisture - while retaining the same wrinkle resistant properties of the Traveler.

3. mcmillin

I have a question about the traveler's crease in the trousers. What is it exactly and how is it done?

Wondering the exact same thing. I imagine I would want a crease at all times on some of my pants, but wondering if I would want the residual effects, if there are any.

The Traveler Crease is a silicone product that is applied in a very narrow bead to the front and back crease of the pant from the crotch to the cuff using a propriety machine in our in-store tailor shops. It is not noticeable while wearing, but is great at keeping a crisp crease in your pant and it lasts the life of the garment. It will last through dry-cleaning, too. There are not any residual effects...it can be removed with a solvent that we have in the store. It is $8 per pant and we can do it on any of our merchandise (except the Traveler line) and I have many clients that have brought in previous purchases from other brands to have done, too. It can be applied to most fabrics - even blends - as long as they contain less than 14% artificial fibers.

4. otc

otc Well-Known Member

If you are noticing "waviness", take your suit back to a JoS. A. Bank store and have it steamed and pressed to see if that helps. (It's a free, lifetime service on all of our garments...usually a 1-day turnaround.)

Really? That sounds nifty

5. mcmillin

mcmillin,

I was at a JAB store just yesterday looking for some casual socks to match some chinos. I planned to buy 2 pairs of a taupe color and 2 pairs of an olive color. There was a 3 for $30 promotion going on the socks and the salesman wouldn't (said he couldn't) sell the fourth pair at the discounted rate. As a customer, I find this very frustrating. I would understand that I couldn't buy 2 pairs for $20 or 1 pair for $10. But, I don't understand why I couldn't buy 4 for $40. It seems to me once you've met the x of the x for $yyy threshold, you should be able to buy any quantity above x at the discounted rate.

Other than the fit issue (which is what it is--not every store fits every guy), I think the main issue many have with JAB is that the constant changing of promotions leaves one wondering, "If I buy a suit on any given day, is that same suit going to be $200 less next week or might I have gotten a shirt and tie thrown in with it last week?".

Your point regarding the company's operating results is well-taken. It's evident they're doing something right and the average customer is responding well to the promotions. I just wanted to offer some feedback since you offered to listen.

Thanks for all your comments! As a customer, I can understand the frustration of the 2-for or 3-for pricing. He was right in saying that he couldn't manipulate the price of your 4th pair...when we have deal pricing (2/3 for) in the system, it only groups items by that multiple, but i do understand your point. (I know when I am at the grocery store if an item is 2/$5, one item is $2.50...unfortunately our pricing system just doesn't work the same.) That being said, I would certainly hope that if you voiced your concerns to the store manager, they would do anything they could to alleviate your frustration.

About your pricing comment: I guess I can see that...my clients tend to shop when they shop without paying a lot of attention to prices. They know they are going to get a good price and I will always let them know (if I do) about something better coming up.

*nit-picky point* The "buy a suit, get a shirt and tie" promotion is actually from S&K, I think. haha

6. mcmillin

Really? That sounds nifty

I'm wondering if your "nifty" is dripping wit sarcasm or an actual compliment. haha

7. otc

otc Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if your "nifty" is dripping wit sarcasm or an actual compliment. haha

No I mean...tell me more

seems like it would be awfuly convenient to be able to drop a suit off for steaming/pressing at any time. Do other retailers do this (BB?)

8. pandemic

pandemic Well-Known Member

I have a two in. drop (42" chest) will I fit into one of your suits?

Ok I admit i was just trolling, but seriously whats up with you guys and not selling any slim fitting (athletic cut) suits

9. mcmillin

Speaking of letting customers know about something better coming up - right now were are BOGO on Suits, Sportcoats, and Blazers and taking an additional $100 off any purchase of $499 or more. Starting next Wednesday, though, we are changing it up a bit. When you buy a suit at regular price you will get another suit of equal or lesser price for free AND a sportcoat or blazer (equal or lesser price) for free. We are extending the $100 off $499 promotion, too.

Example:
    1st Signature Suit (Ticket $795) $795
    2nd Signature Suit (Ticket $795) $0
    Signature Sportcoat/Blazer (Ticket $595) $0
    Ticket Total $2185
    Purchase Total $795
    $100 off $499 - New Total $695

10. mcmillin

No I mean...tell me more

seems like it would be awfuly convenient to be able to drop a suit off for steaming/pressing at any time. Do other retailers do this (BB?)

I don't know of any other retailers that do this. It's a free service that we offer to all of our Corporate Card holders.

11. mcmillin

I have a two in. drop (42" chest) will I fit into one of your suits?

Our 42 suits will have a 6" drop, but we have 3 lines of Suit Separates (Business Express, Traveler, and Signature) that would work...you can pair your jacket with any size pant to get the fit you need.

12. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Well-Known Member

Speaking of letting customers know about something better coming up - right now were are BOGO on Suits, Sportcoats, and Blazers and taking an additional $100 off any purchase of $499 or more. Starting next Wednesday, though, we are changing it up a bit. When you buy a suit at regular price you will get another suit of equal or lesser price for free AND a sportcoat or blazer (equal or lesser price) for free. We are extending the $100 off $499 promotion, too.

Example:
    Ticket Total $2185
    Purchase Total $795

Is this "in stock" only? If I wanted a Exec Platinum (which stores never seem to carry) could I order all these from that line?

13. mcmillin

Ok I admit i was just trolling, but seriously whats up with you guys and not selling any slim fitting (athletic cut) suits

We tend to stay very traditional in our cuts. And, really, we don't have much of a demand for them, honestly. My store is very near a Big Ten university and we do have some athletic guys come in that often don't fit a traditional nested suit. I usually show them the Joseph line (slimmer cut, higher arms, higher button stance, side vents) or get them in suit separates with some good jacket tailoring.

14. Timeless Fashion

Timeless Fashion Well-Known Member

Example:
    Ticket Total $2185
    Purchase Total $795

This is a pretty good deal. I remember a few months ago, you had the buy 1 suit and get 2 free. When I stopped by a store on the weekend, the store was packed with customers and very few SA available. I simply checked to see if they had any suits in my size, which typically they don't and they didn't. But it seems like you were definitely moving some inventory.

15. mcmillin

Is this "in stock" only? If I wanted a Exec Platinum (which stores never seem to carry) could I order all these from that line?

The Signature Platinum line is available only in very select stores. (I was with the company for 6 months before I ever even saw one.) Your local store manager should be able to source some, though, and the same deal would apply. Anything that is ordered during a sale/promotion is honored at the same price as if they were available in-store.

16. mcmillin

This is a pretty good deal. I remember a few months ago, you had the buy 1 suit and get 2 free. When I stopped by a store on the weekend, the store was packed with customers and very few SA available. I simply checked to see if they had any suits in my size, which typically they don't and they didn't. But it seems like you were definitely moving some inventory.

We do have a smaller inventory in "fringe" sizes (shorts, extra-longs, above a 48). Any fabric and style that you see in the store, though, can be ordered for you and should arrive in the store within 2 business days if it is available from distribution. May I ask what size you are?

17. southbound35

southbound35 Well-Known Member

Thanks for all your comments! As a customer, I can understand the frustration of the 2-for or 3-for pricing. He was right in saying that he couldn't manipulate the price of your 4th pair...when we have deal pricing (2/3 for) in the system, it only groups items by that multiple, but i do understand your point. (I know when I am at the grocery store if an item is 2/$5, one item is $2.50...unfortunately our pricing system just doesn't work the same.) That being said, I would certainly hope that if you voiced your concerns to the store manager, they would do anything they could to alleviate your frustration.

About your pricing comment: I guess I can see that...my clients tend to shop when they shop without paying a lot of attention to prices. They know they are going to get a good price and I will always let them know (if I do) about something better coming up.

*nit-picky point* The "buy a suit, get a shirt and tie" promotion is actually from S&K, I think. haha

Thanks for your reply.

As I looked around yesterday, I saw for the first time and was impressed by the Trio idea (Jacket with matching pants to be worn as a suit, second pair of coordinating pants for a sportcoat/dress pant look). With most on this board being into higher-end clothing, I doubt many here would go that route. But, I think for the guy who wears a suit to weddings and funerals only and might have one occasion every other year for a sportcoat, this would be a great option.

18. oaw01

oaw01 Well-Known Member

How much do you charge for alterations? I might bite if I can make the suit slim fitting like an RLBL.

19. JLibourel

JLibourel Well-Known Member

Example:
    Ticket Total $2185
    Purchase Total $795

A few months ago, I bought my stepson a Signature suit for $238 (+tax and alterations charges). He seems very happy with it, and at that price I think we got more than fair value. Since JAB is constantly having heavy duty discounts, sales and deals of the sort described above, I can't help thinking that a fellow who just naively walks in and pays full retail (say $795 for a Signature suit) is something of a chump. I know that if I had just paid about $800 for a Signature suit and then a week later saw a deal like that offered, I would feel both mortified and angry. How do you deal with customers like that? Mind you, I'm not knocking JAB. I think shrewdly used, JAB can be a good resource and provide excellent value. I have found the sales staff at my local JAB to be extremely friendly and helpful.

On another note, could you tell us a little more about the Signature Platinum? Does it differ from the Signature Gold only in utilizing fabrics with a higher super number or are there any differences in construction, as well.

20. mcmillin

Thanks for your reply.

As I looked around yesterday, I saw for the first time and was impressed by the Trio idea (Jacket with matching pants to be worn as a suit, second pair of coordinating pants for a sportcoat/dress pant look). With most on this board being into higher-end clothing, I doubt many here would go that route. But, I think for the guy who wears a suit to weddings and funerals only and might have one occasion every other year for a sportcoat, this would be a great option.

In theory, it's great. We sell it a lot for interviews when college students come in and for the guy that says, "My wife told me to buy a suit. This one has two pants. Perfect."

It is the lowest quality suit that we sell, though, so I don't recommend it very often outside of those cases.