1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

John Lobb (St. James's Street, London) vs. John Lobb (Hermès, Paris)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SteG, Nov 15, 2012.

1. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

I don't own any John Lobbs (of either variety). But I have noticed that some makers seem to use more cork than others. I had some Church's a few months ago (I know, hardly venerated on SF these days, but I like this pair!), and one of the first things I noticed was that the sole seemed to be quite fully stuffed with cork - the insole seemed slightly convex to begin with.

The downside was that the shoes were tight to start with, especially across the forefoot. The up side is that because there is more cork to mould to the shape of my foot, they have become some of the most comfortable and supporting shoes I own. It's a small thing, but I'm all for a generous helping of cork: once you get it squashed into your shape, it makes the shoe feel a lot more luxurious, and a lot more "yours".

2. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Well-Known Member

I know what you are are talking about with the convex shape of the soles. I may be mistaken, but I had attributed that to the rolling process that is used during manufactering (seen in most of the production videos for the different brands) where the shoes are turned upside down and the rolling press is used to flatten and curve the sole against the contours of the last. You are definitely right that some makers use more cork than others, but I was under the impression that it was on the variance of a few millimeters at most. Perhaps I am wrong, since the video we are referring to shows a serious amount of cork!

1 person likes this.
  3. tangshee

tangshee Well-Known Member

these are helpful~!