• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chestnut misty is more flashy in person, while Bracken Misty is toned down .. English is not my first language so my expression is somehow limited, but there is a noticeable difference in person.

Edmund K

Reaction score
Chestnut misty is more flashy in person, while Bracken Misty is toned down .. English is not my first language so my expression is somehow limited, but there is a noticeable difference in person.

This is what I think too.... Chestnut have more reddish tint in the color. Thanks for answering. Merry Christmas!

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Made the trip to NYC to join the tobacco suede Chambord II boot club. Damn you, aportnoy! :)

earthdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Made the trip to NYC to join the tobacco suede Chambord II boot club. Damn you, aportnoy! :)

Congrats - it is such a shame that JL Boutiques are so SHITE at responding to e-mail ( I would have purchased more)....
I can't fathom why they don't work their client lists like the Associates at RL, Wilkes, Korshak etc, ( perhaps they are Salaried and minimal or no commission)..

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Congrats - it is such a shame that JL Boutiques are so SHITE at responding to e-mail ( I would have purchased more)....
I can't fathom why they don't work their client lists like the Associates at RL, Wilkes, Korshak etc, ( perhaps they are Salaried and minimal or no commission)..
They respond promptly to my e-mail and also send me unsolicited e-mail about new styles. I get exceptional service when I visit the shop, too. Whether by e-mail, phone, or in-store I find their customer service to be consistently good.

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

They respond promptly to my e-mail and also send me unsolicited e-mail about new styles. I get exceptional service when I visit the shop, too. Whether by e-mail, phone, or in-store I find their customer service to be consistently good.

+2

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I filled out a contact information sheet when I bought my boots. Maybe that's why JL keeps in better touch with some customers?

earthdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I filled out a contact information sheet when I bought my boots. Maybe that's why JL keeps in better touch with some customers?

Could be. I did the same...And they probably get swamped , once the "feeding frenzy" begins.

Last edited:

ElementHU

Reaction score

+3

My SA at South Coast hits me up with every little detail and has always gone above and beyond to source for me even if the sale item is out of my size locally.

Hirsh

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
There is a big difference in price, but a bigger difference in quality when you go to St James Lobb, rather than the Hermes owned ready to wear company.

A huge investment, but worth it!:)

DRAGUI99

Reaction score
Per your request, here are my shoes in the red colorway:

Flash
11443147633_eb9830a735.jpg

11442975725_089b126774.jpg

11443024814_755dbf7d45.jpg

No Flash
11443147043_274c184f15.jpg

11443146833_7ce6ae1eab.jpg

11442975005_027a3dd45d.jpg

Very nice shoes !
Could you please tell us what are all these models ? Thank you!

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'll drop Scott Thompson's name here from their South Coast Plaza store. He's a great SA and is an affable guy all around. Overnight ships no problem.

[email protected]

pwhinson

Reaction score
I received the Westbournes in lapis and they have received a conditioning with renovateur and a bit of saphir neutral wax on the toes and look incredible and fit very well - perhaps a little tight at first but I wore them all today with no trouble. I did keep the William (I) from Mr. Porter. I had two sizes from which to try in both the Westbourne (which came from the Lobb shop in Costa Mesa) and the William I (9UK and 9.5UK). Decided to keep the 9.5UK in the monk straps and a 9UK in the Westbournes.

I went to the larger size in the monk straps because the smaller size just felt too small and the heel in both sizes rode up and down a bit so I didn't see any advantage at the time with going with the larger size. I know part of this heel slippage issue is due to the stiffness of the double sole but I'm beginning to feel like maybe I should have kept the 9 in the monk straps rather than the 9.5. My feet move around in the 9.5 a tiny bit and there's enough room in there for me to try a black superfeet insole in the shoes. So I'm trying that (the thin black ones that are made for dress shoes) and that seems to help and keeps the buckle in the middle hole rather than in the third (although it does crowd up the vertical dimension in the toe box just a little but. But the long and short of it is, how many blisters will I have to go through before the heel slippage begins to fade??? I have tried to flex the soles a bit when I have the shoes in my hands but flexing these double soles that way is nearly impossible. Did anyone else go through this ordeal? Suggestions?

Hirsh

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I received the Westbournes in lapis and they have received a conditioning with renovateur and a bit of saphir neutral wax on the toes and look incredible and fit very well - perhaps a little tight at first but I wore them all today with no trouble.  I did keep the William (I) from Mr. Porter.  I had two sizes from which to try in both the Westbourne (which came from the Lobb shop in Costa Mesa) and the William I (9UK and 9.5UK).  Decided to keep the 9.5UK in the monk straps and a 9UK in the Westbournes.

I went to the larger size in the monk straps because the smaller size just felt too small and the heel in both sizes rode up and down a bit so I didn't see any advantage at the time with going with the larger size.  I know part of this heel slippage issue is due to the stiffness of the double sole but I'm beginning to feel like maybe I should have kept the 9 in the monk straps rather than the 9.5.  My feet move around in the 9.5 a tiny bit and there's enough room in there for me to try a black superfeet insole in the shoes.  So I'm trying that (the thin black ones that are made for dress shoes) and that seems to help and keeps the buckle in the middle hole rather than in the third (although it does crowd up the vertical dimension in the toe box just a little but.  But the long and short of it is, how many blisters will I have to go through before the heel slippage begins to fade???  I have tried to flex the soles a bit when I have the shoes in my hands but flexing these double soles that way is nearly impossible.  Did anyone else go through this ordeal? Suggestions? 

My bespoke John Lobb boots were like gloves from day 1, I have never had such perfect footwear..
My only regret is that I can't buy another pair this year due to other commitments.
Maybe next year....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics