1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

John Lobb Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dddrees, Feb 22, 2013.

1. jujujoo11

jujujoo11 Well-Known Member

Think that was a limited run. Best is to call John Lobb Store in costa mesa or Leathersoul and ask.

2. jujujoo11

I was going to get a Chelsea boot made the John Lobb Tudor and wanted to know what you guys think of the Navy Museum Calf model. Its hard to find a real life example or how the calf color will age. I believe JL had blue museum calf but I was told Navy museum is darker. I do have a Deep blue misty calf shoes that look 100% black even in natural light.

This is the color Navy Museum Calf. But on the Tudor chelsea boot
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    edit.. These pictures are from Google. The only examples i could find.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. JC0611

JC0611 Active Member

Navy Museum Calf is beautiful.
    The blue is subtle and I think it will look even better on a plain toe such as Tudor than on 2015.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  4. jujujoo11

I know!!! It would be perfect between Black and Brown. I don't mind the shoes looking black. But I'm worried it will look like this picture.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. JC0611

JC0611 Active Member

Did you get a chance to look through the booklets at the store?
    It's going to look more black than blue.

What are your thoughts on a pair of Brooklands in Navy Museum Calf, if possible?

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. jujujoo11

The lines remind me of the beckett oxfords. Which I thought would look really good in a dark blue museum color.

7. JC0611

JC0611 Active Member

I'm with you on the similarities to Becketts.
    These discussions got me looking to add a third pair to my collection, if you can call it that.

1 person likes this.
  8. jujujoo11

I'm either going with black museum or navy museum calf. Will sleep on it for a while.

9. leather2354

leather2354 Member

Really appreciate !

10. Zapasman

Zapasman Well-Known Member

Really lovely booties. Black is the colour to go.[​IMG]

11. JC0611

JC0611 Active Member

I got these today.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  12. jujujoo11

Congrats. What color is this?

1 person likes this.
  13. JC0611

JC0611 Active Member

This is their Claret Misty Calf, same as a pair of 2009 you posted earlier with natural light.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. Nikola

Nikola Well-Known Member

Sad to see only a couple of guys are discussing the thread in the last few months. It looks like all the party is at Edward Green these days .. JL doesn't seem to be so popular, especially after the goth chick took over. Wondering if they felt the downside of this through the sales ..

15. coldinboston

coldinboston Well-Known Member

JL is also significantly more expensive than EG, at least here in the USa not sure about Europe, so less people overall are buying JL.
    I would be interested to see if the new direction the company is pushing has hurtt sales. I would be inclined to say that it has helped as it has opened up a new market.
    As long as the old models are available, which they are either in store or by request, then the new more "fashion forward" (keep in mind i dont think JL is fashion forward at all but thats subjective) models would just add new customers. Sure you may lose some purists who dont like change but those are far and few in between.

The fact that she is still there probably implies that sales have not slipped but who knows.
    Fyi in the last two JL stores i have been in, i was told that the their sneakers are hot sellers. At 700-800 a pop with probably minimal cost to make, that probably does not hurt sales or the bottom line.

You have to evolve with the times to survive in sales, with modern communications and transport the competition now is global

16. coldinboston

coldinboston Well-Known Member

I personally think its a nice subtle change from black and would be appropriate in any situation you would be wearing black shoes/chelseas etc... Hard to believe that navy museum is even darker than deep blue misty as the latter is very dark. I have never seen navy museum in real life though. In thr last pic you posted the color is more navy than black. The least of my concerns when buying JL shoes is thr leather quality and how it will age. I am sure it will be just fine and age well. The only concern really is if you like the color itself

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  17. Nikola

Nikola Well-Known Member

@coldinboston Wise words there! It must be I took judgment of their sale figures based on SF interest. Than again, SF members are probably making less than a 0.3% of all buyers out there. Though I am highly thankful to this community for defining my taste .. I believe I would still be buying overpriced gucci loafer crap if I haven't find about this place..

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  18. JC0611

JC0611 Active Member

3 people like this.
  19. JC0611

JC0611 Active Member

I like the pair of metal eyelets on the new Croft derbies and Weir oxfords.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. jujujoo11

Thanks for the info. I'm about to put the order in for the Navy Museum Tudor. I have a deep blue misty calf and In every lighting it looks black. I would even go as far they made a mistake and made it in black lol.