• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The quality control of JL is immensely insane. Irrespective of how many pairs they make and
The goodyear welted method - their motto was once "the bare maximum for a man"
JL still stand by that when it comes to aesthetics and finishing!
Backed by Hermes, they have control (if not total) of their tannery and select the
Finest calf, and reject the majority!

From whole-cuts Chapel to Oxford City II models, you will not notice any blemishes/stretches with
the naked eye in any section of the shoes,

If I have to complain one thing about City II, it is that some museum calf shoes have the museum finishing so conspicuous that the shoes look less formal. Other shoes have more subtle museum finishing, which IMO are more formal.

I only buy museum calf shoes if I have the option of return. Some museum calf shoes, IMO, are entirely too marbled, looking messy, even cheap. But museum calf done in a more subtle way is splendid. So far I have had good luck and have never had to return any - and I have museum calf in 4 different colors, including the City II in plum museum and dark brown museum.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have several pairs of both. I'm not saying that Vass is a bad shoe but they are not in the same league as Lobb. Don't care about the hand welting

The quality control of JL is immensely insane. Irrespective of how many pairs they make and
The goodyear welted method - their motto was once "the bare maximum for a man"
JL still stand by that when it comes to aesthetics and finishing!
Backed by Hermes, they have control (if not total) of their tannery and select the
Finest calf, and reject the majority!

From whole-cuts Chapel to Oxford City II models, you will not notice any blemishes/stretches with
the naked eye in any section of the shoes,

:nodding:

In my experience, JL's quality control is top notch - if not in a class by itself, then pretty close.....

I own the Chapel and City II and there were zero blemishes.

Last edited:

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer the misty to the museum calf offerings. I know I rant endlessly about it but it really sucks to see so much ability with lobb only to watch them squander it. I wonder what the factory workers think about turning out some the garbage flying out of the jl stables now a days.

Imagine of JL mto mirrored EG....wow.

Faster

Reaction score
Isn't a cycle like most things?

The best talent will realize they can't be proud of their work and move on; either new makers, or just enhance other ones...

Shame nonetheless... Could we chuck this onto being eaten by the corporate umbrella?

Last edited:

MoosicPa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

:nodding:

In my experience, JL's quality control is top notch - if not in a class by itself, then pretty close.....

I own the Chapel and City II and there were zero blemishes.

I have numerous pairs of JLP's and would second that... :nodding:

rc121

Reaction score
Anyone else still waiting to get a shipping confirmation from Nick? Not worried but would just like an update on when to expect them to ship.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone else still waiting to get a shipping confirmation from Nick? Not worried but would just like an update on when to expect them to ship.

I'm still waiting. Also have sent two follow up emails about adding trees (I missed the option at checkout).

It's not the end of the world, though. Certainly don't mind the delay, considering I got first choice Sauntons in brown misty for under 5 bills...

rc121

Reaction score

I'm still waiting. Also have sent two follow up emails about adding trees (I missed the option at checkout).

It's not the end of the world, though. Certainly don't mind the delay, considering I got first choice Sauntons in brown misty for under 5 bills...
How did you size? I'm hoping my 8EE works out...

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm still waiting also from Nick. I have no problem waiting a couple more weeks considering the pricing I got.

benjamin8451

Reaction score

Isn't a cycle like most things? 

The best talent will realize they can't be proud of their work and move on; either new makers, or just enhance other ones...

Shame nonetheless... Could we chuck this onto being eaten by the corporate umbrella? 

Only thought is to get them before it's too late.

rbhan12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm still waiting also from Nick. I have no problem waiting a couple more weeks considering the pricing I got.

Same here. Sent Nick an email over the weekend haven't heard back. Pushing on close to 20 days for a package to ship. Just hoping they're here by Christmas...

MoosicPa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Same here. Sent Nick an email over the weekend haven't heard back. Pushing on close to 20 days for a package to ship. Just hoping they're here by Christmas...

Did you say 20 days and the package still hasn't shipped? If you paid already and they've got your money and you have no product after 20 days, that would be a major issue for me....

rbhan12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you say 20 days and the package still hasn't shipped? If you paid already and they've got your money and you have no product after 20 days, that would be a major issue for me....

To be fair, I haven't heard back from him yet, so my order could have been shipped already. But, 18 days to be exact. I don't feel as annoyed as I should be, however I'm starting to feel a little extra burn, considering I paid 40GBP for shipping.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

To be fair, I haven't heard back from him yet, so my order could have been shipped already. But, 18 days to be exact. I don't feel as annoyed as I should be, however I'm starting to feel a little extra burn, considering I paid 40GBP for shipping. 

agreed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads