1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

John Lobb Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dddrees, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Bertrand

Bertrand Active Member

Hi there, do you guys only use JL shoe trees with your JL shoes? Or is there a good, but cheaper alternative?

Thanks

2. coldinboston

coldinboston Well-Known Member

I use only JL Trees usually order them with the shoes but honestly i dont know if it really makes a big difference vs other good shoe trees. JL trees run about 160usd retail. Cheaper good laternatives include Skoak trees at about 100USD shipping included. You can also contact leatherfoot to see if they have leftovers from their sale. I just bought 3 JL shoe trees at about 80 USD this wkd from them (sale price and weak canadian dollar vs US). Shipping free if over 200 canadian.
    Then there is always those 40 dollar woodlore trees

1 person likes this.
  3. rbhan12

rbhan12 Well-Known Member

I've used TheShoeSnob trees in my JLs and they fit pretty damn well.

4. TtownMD

TtownMD Well-Known Member

Most JL shoes comes with tree so you should not have to worry about it.

5. coldinboston

Only the prestige line comes with shoe trees the regular line does not.
    Also most boots dont come with shoe trees (except for a couple of them that are prestige)

6. Jazzmenco

Jazzmenco Well-Known Member

7. Zapasman

Zapasman Well-Known Member

For the 9795 last (DM) you have JL lasted trees. In this case, I think is worthy to spend the money.

8. coldinboston

Those look like the same trees as the woodlore ones that i had been getting
    Just different brands. Yes they work pretty well for most shoes maybe except for extreme shapes shoes like the GG deco

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001MHJZSS/ref=sxl2?qid=1463935150&sr=2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65

9. rbhan12

rbhan12 Well-Known Member

I think Woodlore trees have too much "height." They significantly push up on the vamp of most of my shoes, beyond the original intended last shape. Not ideal in my opinion for any shoe with a reasonable amount of shape. Better suited to AE and Alden if you ask me.

10. Bertrand

Bertrand Active Member

Thanks for your reply Does the $40 woodlore means 'Epic Twin tube tree from woodlore"?

Thanks for your reply Sir Coldin,

Does the $40 woodlore means 'Epic Twin tube tree from woodlore"?

11. Pierson v Post

Pierson v Post Well-Known Member

Finally got my first John Lobb shoes: Pierson chocolate suede oxfords, 9030 last.

Any tips/products to suggest for cleaning the sole edges?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. jujujoo11

jujujoo11 Well-Known Member

great shoes. I love suede. What do you mean by cleaning soles edge? I usually use a horse brush for suede.

13. jujujoo11

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Here is a update on the New Luffield Model "Archer"

The main differences are in the upper stitching of the vamp. Other than that it gives a more refined sleeker appearance. The insolde on the Luffield is tan leather, the Archer is the same color as the outer calf. I ordered the Archer in deep blue misty calf, but I swear I took it to natural light and observed for a good while and all I see is black. Anyway other than that the shoes fit feels 100% identical.

Last edited: May 23, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  14. Pierson v Post

Pierson v Post Well-Known Member

I have a suede brush for the suede, but I mean the actual edges of the leather soles. I think I'll just wipe them with a slightly damp cloth.

15. Zapasman

Beautiful both shoes. The difference is almost imperceptible with the exception of the lining. I prefer much more a full veg tan leather for the lining that the chrome tanned; really soft and breathable.

1 person likes this.
  16. jujujoo11

the luffield feels more comfortable at the present moment because its well broken in. I wore the Archer for the first time today in the wild, and still has the stiffness. I really don't know the longterm benefits of the tan vs calf lining.

17. Zapasman

I think you are refering to vegetable tanned leather and chrome tanned leather (both calf but with different taning processes).

18. jujujoo11

Thanks. Anyways both are comfortable. Two eye derby model from john lobb are my favorites, when it comes to dress shoes derbies.

1 person likes this.
  19. JC0611

JC0611 Active Member

Would you mind posting more images of your Archer?

I am liking the Archer appearance a lot with these changes.
    My impression is that the Archer as a derby is doing what the Becketts did as an oxford.

20. jujujoo11

When I get back home this week I will take more pictures. I might have some pictures on my phone from leather soul. But you are 100% right about the becketts being the oxford version. It's the same last and the lines are same. I own both shoes love it.