1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Jesus Christ Superman

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by acidboy, Jun 15, 2006.

1. The Deacon

The Deacon Well-Known Member

Check out DC comics' old trade paperback "Kingdom Come". It is about the Justice League a few decades from now and how the old heroes have to come back and deal with what they left behind and who they left it too!

It's Illustrated and conceived by Alex Ross who also created the equally entertaining and fulfilling "Uncle Sam". The Jesus allusions are quite obvious. Alex discusses it in detail in Wizard Magazine.

2. emptym

emptym Well-Known Member

No. Sorry, that's just self-justification. It's a belief which the church uses to convert people. If people actually had Jesus "˜in their hearts' there would be no need for religious conversions, for everyone would know Jesus, and the Inquisition, Crusades, et al. would have never come to pass

And seeing as there are disagreements in Christianity itself, this argument is rendered moot.

Hmm. This is true to an extent. I think it applies to a type of black and white definition of conversion that is particular to fundamentalist evangelical Xy. This line of thinking believes that you "accept JC into your heart as your lord and savior" are given faith, are saved, and that's that. My type of Xy views things as more complicated. As I mentioned, we are not naturally good but we naturally desire to be good. Or, we are not naturally in loving relationship with Love, rather we grow slowly into love. In other words, conversion is more like slowly turning up a dimmer rather than flipping on a light switch. There may be defining moments, but as long as we are alive, we are still pilgrims, correcting our mistakes, learning, etc.

Because 1) we have a natural desire for the good but not a natural achievement of the good and 2) conversion is ongoing and not black and white, one may still reasonably hold at the same time that 3) Christians sin, as in the Crusades 4) Christians disagree.

Of course they had heard of Jesus... [​IMG] Jews don't have a desire for anything regarding Jesus' "˜in their hearts' deepest desires', if not they wouldn't be Jewish, they would be Christian.

Just to be clear, I by no means meant that these two men had not heard of Jesus. I was simply stating the theoretical viewpoint that if one had never heard of JC, and if JC is God, and if there is a natural human yearning for God, then one might reasonably conclude that a person's imagination of a hero might be influenced by this natural human yearning.