1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Jeans for middle-aged men

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Mr Checks, May 20, 2005.

1. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Well-Known Member

I have a pair of the stress free bootcut Gap jeans. They do repel liquid but don't breathe like normal cotton. Aside from the fact that they don't breathe, they are pretty good for travel, which is why I bought them. But I'd rather wear my Earnest Sewns for most other purposes where I don't anticipate having my kids inflict some kind of mess on me.

Seems to me that Gap 1969 had decent stuff on release but went downhill fast. I was recently in a Gap store and found all of the current stuff to be cheap-feeling denim with outlandish washes. The fact that they were placed near a rack full of garish stripeys added to my distaste for the current Gap clothing.

2. Sevcom

Sevcom Well-Known Member

The stress-free jeans feel way too unnaturally stiff, and their hand is too brittle. The 1969 jeans don't feel terrible, but not premium either. The Gap washes range from ho-hum to not bad, so while they're not Earnest Sewn, they're not True Religion either.

3. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Seen them at Riccardi's, not a bad place on Newbury Street, (the only store carrying Costume in Boston, but definitely geared towards the eurotrashy look,) and thems is some ugly jeans.

4. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Well-Known Member

i had to offer a rebate to get any takers.

5. Mr Checks

Mr Checks Well-Known Member

Okay, went shopping.

Was not prepared for $190 jeans; haven't paid that much for dress trousers yet.

Going to the outlet mall this weekend, hoping to find something under $80. Maybe the Gap ones...

Could not find ACD anywhere; anyone know what chains they can be purchased at?

6. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Well-Known Member

7. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Do you mean APC? They are available through the net (www.apc.fr) and through a small number of vendors (this is a strategic decision) that can be found on the site. The jeans *never* go on sale.

8. Mr Checks

Yes, APC (that's why they looked at me funny when I said the "ACDC jeans')

Thanks for the link.

9. Mr Checks

Okay, finally purchased a couple pair: one being the Gap jeans that were mentioned, and the second pair being a similar-looking Express pair. On the dark side, but with the worn patina in the front thigh.

Getting some nice compliments when coupled with a Zegna sport shirt and similar buttoned shirts, and my black monk straps (brown monks are on the way).

Thanks for all the comments. I think I'll stick with these two modestly-priced pair for a bit (but I have my eye on the Last Call and Off 5th outlets for the good stuff)

Thanks again.

10. kbuzz

kbuzz Well-Known Member

I think it would be a great idea if we updated this thread and/or made it a sticky since its a few years old. My vote for this would be a pair of levis LVC 501 55s or 47s

11. Arethusa

Arethusa Well-Known Member

Right on my Asian American Brother.
    Fixed.

12. marc237

marc237 Well-Known Member

Forgive me for a little bit of unearthed the recently dead thread, but I am also middle-aged, fit, and looking to upgrade from Levis boot cut jeans on sale. Basically, I have always worn a lighter color denim. I am now looking for a much darker jean to wear with blazers, sports coats, and better polos.

To give a bit more information, I am not a beer gut middle aged guy, I keep in shape, but I am also not thin - I have mass acquired from years of lifting (but no steroids). I am looking for jeans that fit more like trousers and are not too low-rise and not tight. If this makes sense, a slighter thinner fabric would be nice. Would like to stay reasonably cheap - heck, I do not pay full price for the Incotex.

Thanks for putting up with the posting and for all anticipated assistance.

13. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Well-Known Member

im 36 and i certainly dont see myself as middle-aged. i still try to buy and wear all the good stuff like Skull, flat head, Somet, prps, nudie, and diesel and et al.

14. marc237

marc237 Well-Known Member

Shoe-

Thanks, I do not think of myself as middle aged either. However, I do acknowledge that I am not at all plugged into the current jean culture. I went from Landlubber hip huggers in the 70s to Wranglers in college and to bargain basement Levis. i am know looking to upgrade and would welcome advise on a darker color, trimmer fitting mid-rise jean. Thank you.

15. whacked

whacked Well-Known Member

Marc,

DenimBar, a forum affiliate, is having a 50% off sale ending on the 13th. There are some exclusions, i.e. forum mainstay APC, but Kicking Mule Workshop, whose 1950, 1980, and 2010 models all fit your criterias are on sale. Or better yet, just contact Mauro (the owner) directly with your question and I'm sure he will give you some good recommendations.

16. Tooch4321

Tooch4321 Well-Known Member

Marc,

DenimBar, a forum affiliate, is having a 50% off sale ending on the 13th. There are some exclusions, i.e. forum mainstain APC, but Kicking Mule Workshop, whose 1950, 1980, and 2010 models all fit your criterias are on sale. Or better yet, just contact Mauro (the owner) directly with your question and I'm sure he will give you some good recommendations.

+1000, mauro is a great help and the denimbar carries some great denim...

17. sho'nuff

Marc,

DenimBar, a forum affiliate, is having a 50% off sale ending on the 13th. There are some exclusions, i.e. forum mainstay APC, but Kicking Mule Workshop, whose 1950, 1980, and 2010 models all fit your criterias are on sale. Or better yet, just contact Mauro (the owner) directly with your question and I'm sure he will give you some good recommendations.

hold on why did i miss this?
    50% off on which brands on his website?

is it 50% extra off of the discounted price listed on his site or 50% off retail thus what is already listed .

18. Tooch4321

hold on why did i miss this? 50% off on which brands on his website? is it 50% extra off of the discounted price listed on his site or 50% off retail thus what is already listed .
    click the link above in your quoted text and all shall be revealed or pm mauro...

19. sho'nuff

click the link above in your quoted text and all shall be revealed or pm mauro...

looks like only instore

20. Tooch4321

looks like only instore

no, they're taking phone and paypal orders as well, i would just pm mauro for more info...