1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Jeans for middle-aged men

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Mr Checks, May 20, 2005.

1. Mr Checks

Mr Checks Well-Known Member

Okay, the "10 Best" thread is about a thousand responses long, so I apologize in advance for not scouring it re: this issue...

What would be some good jean recommendations for a medium-sized, 35-45 y.o. guy? I don't want to look old, and I don't want to look like I'm trying to hard to look younger than I am.

If the jeans would go with tan chelsea boots, well then all the better.

My daughter thanks you for your assistance.
    Checks

2. YMark

YMark Well-Known Member

I'm 45 and have a pair of Sevens, AG, and Earnest Sewn. I'm also pretty fit and work out 4 times a week. Maybe I'm kidding myself, who knows, but I don't think trying to look younger is such a bad thing if you can pull it off.

3. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Helmut Lang Bootcuts (really a straightleg) and Rag & Bone "Trouser cut" jeans will get you indie props, as well as looking non-tragic to both your peers and your daughter.

4. esvoboda

esvoboda Well-Known Member

It depends on how you've kept yourself up and whether your genetics have been kind to you. If you think about guys like Johnny Depp and Tom Cruise who are 40-ish, they can wear most anything that someone in their early 20's could and look great. But if you have the problems with obesity and lack of muscle tone that come with age if you don't stay on top of it, then you've got to be more careful. Frankly, I think a lot of these people shouldn't be wearing jeans at all. They don't have the body for it.

If you're fit, I don't see a problem. I'd just avoid some of the most extreme cuts and finishes.

5. briancl

briancl Well-Known Member

one thing that i think is important when it comes to older men wearing 'hip' designer jeans is the rest of the outfit. make sure you incorporate the jeans into your wardrobe appropriately, but don't wear 'old man' clothes with 'young man' jeans. mix and match effectively and any older gentleman can pull off sevens or AG's.

6. T4phage

T4phage Well-Known Member

I would suggest the Levis LVC 501XX, maybe the 1947/66. Many from Denime, Lee's Vintage 101.

7. esvoboda

esvoboda Well-Known Member

I have this image of an old guy wearing a baggy Brooks buttondown, tucked, with a shiney dress belt and tasselled loafers. His gut is hanging over a pair of low-rise bootcut True Religions, well-whiskered.

8. ringring

ringring Well-Known Member

I'll second what LAG says. Keep it simple. Simple washes (a one-wash rinse is fine), simple cuts. And the biggest must-do is to wear the jeans on your hips and not up by your navel [​IMG] PS - If you must go with Helmut Lang, go with the dark jeans. The stonewashed ones this season are horrid.

9. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Well-Known Member

Wow, 35 is middle-aged?

RNM, 36 and still being carded for alcohol purchases. (especially when wearing Earnest Sewn Hutches)

10. Get Smart

Get Smart Well-Known Member

didnt folks get the memo that the "30s" are the new "20s"?

good thing chink don't crink

11. Bradford

Bradford Well-Known Member

Exactly - 40 is the new 30.

Bradford <- 37 soon to be 38.

12. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Well-Known Member

this is good news for me.

/andrew - just turned 36

13. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Right on my Asian Brother.

14. Mr Checks

I am glad to hear that I'm not middle-aged, which is now 50, I guess.

I promise to try these suggestions; my daughter promises to cringe at all of them...

15. benchan

benchan Well-Known Member

Helmut Lang dark jeans are alright, but the denim is nothing to write home about. Yes, the wash model is atrocious this season.

I suggest you take a look at Hugo boss Black Label Jeans also, though some members probably will cringe at my suggestion.

16. sbbbjm

sbbbjm Well-Known Member

try and get your hands on a pair of APC english cuts if you can. with its slightly lower rise (no where as low as say diesel zathan's or true religions) and straight, relaxed leg, i think it would be perfect for your age. i think the slightly lower rise is a little more flattering and would be a nice update than classic levi's.

17. Geowu

Geowu Well-Known Member

Agree on APC.. being looser fiting, it's a nice alternative to Helmut Lang's.

18. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Well-Known Member

here is what this almost-middle-aged guy wears:

levi 569's. they are loose, straight legs. rise is a *wee* bit high for my taste, but i don't let it bother me.

levi 'type 1'. much lower rise, with loose straight legs and a few details that differ from the run-of-the-mill levi's.

and i recently discovered that gap 1969 looks decent on me as well. can't recall the specific cut i own, but i know they are fairly loose straight legs. (could be 'Loose Straight', i think that's how gap names their cuts.)

i make no claims as to the quality of the denim. i'm mostly interested in fit and general appearance.

this is on a body which has seen some expansion in the gluteal and abdominal areas over the past several years. i am not fat. but i look like a guy who has a slowing metabolism, two young kids, and no time to go to the gym. (also has no budget for $100+ pairs of jeans.)

/andrew

19. sbbbjm

sbbbjm Well-Known Member

oh yeah, i agree. gap has had some pretty decent looking jeans out. if they fit me better i would totally buy a pair. the ones i like are the 'stress free' (who thought stain resistant jeans could look that good?) bootcut ones. these are the ones i'm talking about -- they look alot better in person. the pic doesn't do them justice. . . . and the loose bootfit line look pretty good too. jcrew's jeans might be worth looking at too. the ones on sale look really good.

20. Mr Checks

So far I've been able to find zero of these where I live.
    Going to the Big City today and checking things out there. Will let you know.

I'm with you, Faustian Bargain (although I thought, with that name, you'd have plenty of money; strike a bad bargain?)