1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Jean Shop NYC

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by berlin report, Nov 22, 2007.

1. furo

furo Well-Known Member

I saw the raw Rockers on sale today and almost bought...

They did seem to be a bit flimsier than I thought they'd be, and definitely vanity sized. Maybe that's just the nature of the jeans, but they didn't seem quite as durable as the KMW 1980s that I have.

Anyways, I bought another pair of 1980 KMWs instead over these, but was wondering what others thought about durability, construction, and build quality of the JS Rockers (raw) vs the 1980 KMWs (raw).

The sale price on both pairs was comparable (I paid $16 more for the KMW 1980s than I would have for the JS Rockers)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  2. Kwaker

Kwaker Well-Known Member

Where is the sale ... any 30s ... what about about other models? thx.

3. furo

furo Well-Known Member

I sent you a pm

4. whodini

whodini Well-Known Member

I wouldn't use the word "flimsy" to compare JS to KMW. JS has often been described as an upgraded APC: better denim, better details, but still a "fashion" jean. I wouldn't consider KMW to be a repro brand per se but they definitely focus more on construction and are built to be worn harder. It's somewhat apples and oranges but that's not to say that JS is poorly constructed or not of good quality; in fact, while JS is generally underrepresented I can't recall ever having heard construction issues. As fashion jeans, they might be a little overpriced for what they are but I frankly love the finish and details as they truly set themselves apart in a sea of denim companies. Some people can't handle the orange overload but that riri zip (back when they had it) and seeing orange selvage on both sides of the fly is a nerd plus. Aside from the born-on-date Sharpied on the pocketbag, I also get a bit more of a hands-on feel from JS than other brands.

The bottom line is they're both well-made and comfortable (around the 13oz range with long-staple cotton) with perhaps the big difference in wear being that KMWs have a rep for being more stubborn.

5. furo

furo Well-Known Member

Good insight thanks. From your description I think I'd be happier in the long run with sticking to the 1980s

Just curious, and a bit off topic, but what separates KMW 1980s from Japanese repros? The weight of the denim perhaps?

...oh and yeah I did like the fact that they had the "born on" date. .... that kind of logic is what led me to buy a pair of Raleigh Denim ... having the owner of the company that made your jeans personally sign them is a cool touch

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  6. whodini

whodini Well-Known Member

"Repro" means "reproduction," correct? When a brand like Sugar Cane puts out a '47 model based on the Levi's '47, they're reproducing the cut and details while other brands go further and try to replicate the denim. KMW takes note of certain eras (hence the year model numbers), but they're not directly trying to reproduce anything.

7. Denim

Denim Well-Known Member

stopped by the shop yesterday and they had an amazing store and denims....

does any one have pictures of their own jeans hop raws that they put work into? im working on a pair of raws of my own so i wont be able to purchase and really get into them for another couple months but really plan on buying a pair. store was great so was the owner.

8. ManofKent

ManofKent Well-Known Member

Picked up a pair of Jeanshop Rockers in grey from Mr Porter clearance. Quality seems excellent but the sizing is certainly generous.

9. Kwaker

Kwaker Well-Known Member

And they will stretch ... while at the shop, they fitted me with a hip-hugging pair of 28s that eventually stretched out to the proportions of my typical size 30 denim

10. Nikos

Nikos Well-Known Member

Same here, with one of the shirts. Even the medium was too large for me.

11. Kwaker

Kwaker Well-Known Member

60% off a number of items including leather jackets and belts, denim pants and jackets, Chippewa boots an other footwear

http://www.jean-shop.com/sale/

12. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Generous is an understatement. Put it this way. I am wearing one of the belts, in an XS, on the middle hole.

I am a size 32 in most jeans, size 33 if I want them to be baggy with plenty of room in the seat. A size 30 Jeanshop "skinny" fits me slim. A size 31 is pretty darn comfortable, and a size 32 is loose and really relaxed (super, super, comfortable, though.)

I think that it's because the owner is a big dude.

13. DrNik

DrNik Member

I have a pair of 29 JS medium slim fit that I have rinsed and tried to break in at home but the rise is just to low for me. Anyone want to buy or trade?

14. SJC83

SJC83 Well-Known Member

Nordstrom sell these jeans now, plus I get my wife discount (33%)

Just in case anyone wants a pair