1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Jazz appreciation thread

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Rugger, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Rugger

Rugger Well-Known Member

Gotta be some jazz fans out there in SF land, right? I'm just starting to get more into the genre. I really like piano and samba stuff and really stay away from electronic-y stuff. Anyone else out there? Hoping we can share favorites, youtube clips, recommendations, club spots et cetera.

I'm still trying to figure out which sub-genre the songs I like fit into so I can explore more artists.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  2. romafan

romafan Well-Known Member

Conne was enamored of this musical style a few years ago....

3. Lighthouse

Lighthouse Well-Known Member

I love jazz and have a basic knowledge, but I couldn't tell you about current events. Torme, Fitzgerald, Davis, Brubeck, Coltrane, Monk, can't get enough of 'em. I also like what some call smooth jazz. Who are you listening to?

4. Rugger

Rugger Well-Known Member

Right now I'm listening to a lot of Vince Guaraldi..who..oddly enough was the guy who wrote a lot of the Peanuts music before he died lol :slayer:

5. Lighthouse

Lighthouse Well-Known Member

I know it well, have the Christmas album. Along those lines, you should Pandora a fellow by the name of Johnny Costa.

6. raalltheway

raalltheway Member

Johnny Costa is really great

7. Rugger

Rugger Well-Known Member

I'll have to check him out.

I generally prefer jazz with just a piano, a bass and a drum kit...maybe a guitar. I really like piano based stuff. What sub-genre would that likely fall into?

8. AndyMG

AndyMG Well-Known Member

Some of that Peanuts music is amazing.

I'm a big fan of Dave Brubeck, Thelonious Monk and earlier Miles Davis, as mentioned by previous posters. I also love Kenny Burrell, Jimmy Smith and Stanley Turrentine. They produced some great albums in their own right and some great stuff together. Well worth checking out.

9. Scrounger

Scrounger Well-Known Member

Probably the best show I've seen in the last few years was the Polish trumpeter Tomasz Stanko - here he is:

I've found "The Penguin Guide to Jazz Recordings" very helpful for recommendations. YMMV of course depending on whether your tastes line up with the authors'.

Some favorite piano recordings:

"Upon Reflection", Hank and Elvin Jones' tribute to their brother Thad
    John Lewis, "Evolution" (solo) and "Evolution II" (with guitar/bass/drums)
    Herbie Hancock's "Maiden Voyage", a quintet with most of Miles Davis' group at the time
    Bill Evans' complete Village Vanguard set, a bargain at $20
    Brad Mehldau's "Art of the Trio" sets

10. Rugger

Rugger Well-Known Member

I'm going to try and post a video a day as much as I can to keep this thing alive

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

11. Septavius

Septavius Well-Known Member

Check out some stuff by Eldar Djangirov. Might be right up your alley.

--
    Some other jazz artists I think are great that haven't been mentioned yet (these are a bit more current): Dana Hall, Takuya Kuroda, Ahmad Jamal, Bobby Watson, Alaadeen.

12. BrunoB

BrunoB Member

13. Britalian

Britalian Well-Known Member

I caught Brad Mehldau Trio in Ravenna Jazz open air old fortress last night. Phenomenally gifted. Did some classics, some Beatles' covers, and own stuff.

14. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

Still am!

Called the piano trio. Some great stuff:

-Oscar Peterson
    -Red Garland
    -Sonny Clark
    -Bill Evans (this is more complex stuff, Evans had a penchant for emotionally charged music)
    -Horace Silver (one of the best composers in jazz history; his stuff is witty, humorous)

If you want guitar thrown in there, go with anything Grant Green did. Incredible guitarist, composer, band leader.