1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Jay Kos?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Kuro, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Kuro

Kuro Well-Known Member

How is the quality of their items?

2. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

How is the quality of their items?

Very high.

3. Kuro

Kuro Well-Known Member

Very high.

Thanks. Hopefully they'll have a sale shortly.

4. bullethead

bullethead Well-Known Member

they had a sample sale last year and i picked up some great cotton trousers for 25 bucks.

5. erdavis

erdavis Well-Known Member

They do have nice quality, BUT:

1) sometimes their staff is dumber than rock. I bought a $500 hat there and they had no idea about hats. It was like a comedy watching them trying to steam the hat.

2) I ordered some pants there. Every high quality, but again the 3 Stooges staff. I prefer the Upper East store, the futher down is way snooty.

My advice is support Jay Kos, but just realize they aren't the satorial darling they pretend to be.

6. mr monty

mr monty Well-Known Member

They do have nice quality, BUT:

1) sometimes their staff is dumber than rock. I bought a $500 hat there and they had no idea about hats. It was like a comedy watching them trying to steam the hat.

2) I ordered some pants there. Every high quality, but again the 3 Stooges staff. I prefer the Upper East store, the futher down is way snooty.

My advice is support Jay Kos, but just realize they aren't the satorial darling they pretend to be.

What kind of hat? Those are Optimo's prices.

7. mr. magoo

mr. magoo Well-Known Member

I prefer the Upper East store, the futher down is way snooty.

There is only the "further down" store now -- i.e., 475 Park Avenue. The Upper East Side store closed a few years ago.

8. erdavis

It was a Borsalino (not sure I spelled it right) straw hat. I really needed the hat, so I had to basically sell myself the hat. The store almost new nothing about the product. It was embarassing.

I had such a negative memory of buying the hat, that I gave to my Mexican gardener. Maybe he wil have happier memories with it. He gets more use out of it and makes him a bit more stylish.

9. erdavis

There is only the "further down" store now -- i.e., 475 Park Avenue. The Upper East Side store closed a few years ago.

I am soooo dated. Somewhere in there I moved in Seattle for 1 year, San Francisco for 2, and then onto Tokyo.

Time waits for no man. I miss the old neigborhood (that I can no longer afford to live in).

-erc

10. Kuro

Kuro Well-Known Member

I like their selection, so I'll keep an eye out for the next sale. I was only doing some window shopping for some fall/winter pants and this and BG were the only two stores that I went into this past weekend where I didn't get the full court press. Retail must be suffering. Paul Stuart was absolutely ridiculous; polite, but so eager that my wife and I started laughing.

11. mr. magoo

mr. magoo Well-Known Member

I like their selection, so I'll keep an eye out for the next sale.

Sales at Jay Kos are extremely rare and not seasonal like at other stores. Just so you know.

12. grimslade

grimslade Well-Known Member

It was a Borsalino (not sure I spelled it right) straw hat. I really needed the hat, so I had to basically sell myself the hat. The store almost new nothing about the product. It was embarassing.

I had such a negative memory of buying the hat, that I gave to my Mexican gardener. Maybe he wil have happier memories with it. He gets more use out of it and makes him a bit more stylish.

Next time, you can give it to me.

13. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

The sales reps at Jay Kos seem disproportionately maligned. Yes, they can be snooty and ignorant. But this seems to be the case at a lot of high-end men's clothing stores in NYC. For example, Brooks on Madison can be just awful.

I wonder how much iGent dissonance over Jay Kos goes back to the Boyer event at one of Jay's stores a few years back. I don't know the exact details behind it, but Jay explained to me that a number of AAAC members were there who fancied themselves experts. They began scrutinizing Jay's merchandise for workmanship and criticized it. Annoyed (in retrospect, one wonders who wouldn't be), Jay compared his stuff to the things the AAAC members were themselves wearing. The AAAC members were offended, and since then, Jay has been known for insulting what people wear into his store.

For his part, I think Jay is still at least somewhat paranoid about AAAC-types coming into his store (people he thinks are fixated on clothes but don't have style). So, if you ask him something like, "Who made this?," he is not unlikely to respond: "Why does it matter? It is what it is; the quality should be self-evident."

Anyway, just my two cents. Also, I should disclaim: I had an issue with Jay over an undelivered belt that I made very public on AAAC that has since been resolved, but Jay's reputation on AAAC for being an arrogant snob had already been established by then.

14. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

The sales reps at Jay Kos seem disproportionately maligned. Yes, they can be snooty and ignorant. But this seems to be the case at a lot of high-end men's clothing stores in NYC. For example, Brooks on Madison can be just awful.

I wonder how much iGent dissonance over Jay Kos goes back to the Boyer event at one of Jay's stores a few years back. I don't know the exact details behind it, but Jay explained to me that a number of AAAC members were there who fancied themselves experts. They began scrutinizing Jay's merchandise for workmanship and criticized it. Annoyed (in retrospect, one wonders who wouldn't be), Jay compared his stuff to the things the AAAC members were themselves wearing. The AAAC members were offended, and since then, Jay has been known for insulting what people wear into his store.

For his part, I think Jay is still at least somewhat paranoid about AAAC-types coming into his store (people he thinks are fixated on clothes but don't have style). So, if you ask him something like, "Who made this?," he is not unlikely to respond: "Why does it matter? It is what it is; the quality should be self-evident."

Anyway, just my two cents. Also, I should disclaim: I had an issue with Jay over an undelivered belt that I made very public on AAAC that has since been resolved, but Jay's reputation on AAAC for being an arrogant snob had already been established by then.

I was at two such Boyer book parties at Kos (not arranged by AAAC in any way, BTW), and I don't remember any of this. Maybe I was out of earshot.

15. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

I was at two such Boyer book parties at Kos (not arranged by AAAC in any way, BTW), and I don't remember any of this. Maybe I was out of earshot.

Like I said, it's just Jay's side of the story. I know the event(s) were not AAAC-arranged, but supposedly there were a number of AAAC members there. Regardless who caused or did what, there's clearly a history.

16. PhiloVance

PhiloVance Well-Known Member

When the east side shop closed, they pretty much gave away the stock. I picked up a cashmere hat from Locke & Co. for Jay Kos for something like $45. One of my lasting regrets is that I didnt pick up any other styles, they had straw fedoras and other caps all for under $50.

17. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

The sales reps at Jay Kos seem disproportionately maligned. Yes, they can be snooty and ignorant. But this seems to be the case at a lot of high-end men's clothing stores in NYC. For example, Brooks on Madison can be just awful. I wonder how much iGent dissonance over Jay Kos goes back to the Boyer event at one of Jay's stores a few years back. I don't know the exact details behind it, but Jay explained to me that a number of AAAC members were there who fancied themselves experts. They began scrutinizing Jay's merchandise for workmanship and criticized it. Annoyed (in retrospect, one wonders who wouldn't be), Jay compared his stuff to the things the AAAC members were themselves wearing. The AAAC members were offended, and since then, Jay has been known for insulting what people wear into his store. For his part, I think Jay is still at least somewhat paranoid about AAAC-types coming into his store (people he thinks are fixated on clothes but don't have style). So, if you ask him something like, "Who made this?," he is not unlikely to respond: "Why does it matter? It is what it is; the quality should be self-evident." Anyway, just my two cents. Also, I should disclaim: I had an issue with Jay over an undelivered belt that I made very public on AAAC that has since been resolved, but Jay's reputation on AAAC for being an arrogant snob had already been established by then.
    That's exactly the kind of behavior I'd expect of certain AAAC people. They were probably wearing Jos A.Banks and Polo goods got on sale.

18. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

The sales reps at Jay Kos seem disproportionately maligned. Yes, they can be snooty and ignorant. But this seems to be the case at a lot of high-end men's clothing stores in NYC. For example, Brooks on Madison can be just awful. I wonder how much iGent dissonance over Jay Kos goes back to the Boyer event at one of Jay's stores a few years back. I don't know the exact details behind it, but Jay explained to me that a number of AAAC members were there who fancied themselves experts. They began scrutinizing Jay's merchandise for workmanship and criticized it. Annoyed (in retrospect, one wonders who wouldn't be), Jay compared his stuff to the things the AAAC members were themselves wearing. The AAAC members were offended, and since then, Jay has been known for insulting what people wear into his store. For his part, I think Jay is still at least somewhat paranoid about AAAC-types coming into his store (people he thinks are fixated on clothes but don't have style). So, if you ask him something like, "Who made this?," he is not unlikely to respond: "Why does it matter? It is what it is; the quality should be self-evident." Anyway, just my two cents. Also, I should disclaim: I had an issue with Jay over an undelivered belt that I made very public on AAAC that has since been resolved, but Jay's reputation on AAAC for being an arrogant snob had already been established by then.
    This makes sense, to me, though as manton points out, the events (I was at one) weren't arranged by AAAC and you could as easily say it was attended by SF or LL members as by AAAC members. There is a lot of overlap, though back then, in the days before the great migration, AAAC was probably the more popular site for tailored clothes. There are two things worth noting, though. First - the characterization of people as being fixated on clothes but having no style, is pretty juvenile. It may, of course, be true, but given the people and the number of people who were there, it is likely an over-broad generalization and one hard to imagine coming out of the moth of a sophisticated shop-owner. More juvenile, of course, is Kos's response to that kind of customer. Since the people are overly-interested in clothing, but have no style, Kos's response was to criticize their clothes to them. Perhaps the problem is that Kos sees a certain kind of forum geek as his natural enemy - Kos sells goods sourced from good makers at very large markups. He is, in essence, asking to be paid for his efforts at finding things, his personal style and "curating" ability and his claim of exclusivity (hence the claims that tailoring factory x makes only for him). The forum habituÃ[​IMG] wants to be able to get everything directly from the source, both for reasons of price, and because he wants to be in charge of his own look rather than outsource it to someone like Kos. The forum guys are a theoretical threat, therefore, to Kos's business model (even if their aren't enough of them to be a real threat to his business). Of course, it doesn't have to be that way. Many of the forum geeks just want to know and understand what they are buying. They are hobbyists. And like many hobbyists, once they get into a subject,they want to know everything about it and will spend lots of money to feed their habit. The problem for someone like Kos is that he thinks he makes his money by being an oracle rather than by being a teacher. He wants you to walk in, admire how excellent he is, feel reassured that if you buy from hm you are being the best and can tell people so, pay him and walk out, rather than get you interested and excited in his merchandise so you buy it. Unlike many of the trad shops that are open about the manufacturers of their clothing, their is also a natural tension between Kos, who wants you to buy and pay for his name on the label, and forum guys who want to know exactly what they are getting (hence the famous Andover Shop/LA guy thread - a job for you Nantucket Red). In any event, I must be one of the guys Kos was talking about since I thought his sales people were pushy boors. Since I was treated badly, I have to assume I have no style. At the time, I had been using the same tailor for about ten years and had no interest in changing, but a "no, thank you" didn't work. The salesman insisted I try on one of their suits because it was so much better than what I had. I asked him to tell me how so and got a speech about their exclusive Italian factory (that is sustained, I suppose by Kos's two shops, now one) where everything is made by hand just for them, blah blah blah. I have gotten the same treatment from Gene Venanzi, except that it was entirely different. Venanzi really knows about what he is selling (perhaps unfair to compare him with one of Kos's salesman), but understands that a customer who has a tailor he likes isn't likely to be impressed by how much "better" his stuff is, but is more likely to be persuaded by a "here, try this on, perhaps you might like to try a different look sometime" approach. Small stores like Kos and Venanzi and Cenci and Herzfeld basically reflect their owner's personality, since that is how the staff will be trained. In the end, they are all just selling clothes. There is nothing Kos sells that I can't get elsewhere, and whatever the excuses he may make, I found the staff unpleasantly pushy enough that I prefer to buy elsewhere and, to me, that is a reflection on the owner.

19. CunningSmeagol

CunningSmeagol Well-Known Member

20. grimslade

grimslade Well-Known Member

Too long. Didn't read.