1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Jared Paul Stern - "Page Six" writer is a serious style hound

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Patrick Bateman, Apr 14, 2006.

1. edmorel

edmorel Well-Known Member

Whew!, I can finally sleep [​IMG]

2. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

There's something undeniably contrived and posed about J.P.S:

[​IMG]

Compare with someone like this:

[​IMG]

3. wEstSidE

wEstSidE Well-Known Member

This guy fronts so hard it's ridiculous. The fact that he name-checks 21 makes him only faker. What's he going to reference next? The Racquet and Tennis Club? Where'd he go to college? Some liberal arts school in VT.

4. edmorel

edmorel Well-Known Member

Oh, he started a "literary salon". I was not aware of that. Now the monocle makes sense [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

This guy fronts so hard it's ridiculous. The fact that he name-checks 21 makes him only faker. What's he going to reference next? The Racquet and Tennis Club? Where'd he go to college? Some liberal arts school in VT.
    Well, he references the Skull & Bones Club for his fashion label:

http://www.skullandbonesjps.com/

The sort of toadyish posturing and pretension that tends to characterize New York's grotesque "elite" microcosm.

6. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Well-Known Member

Actually, in the photo taken at '21,' his style reminds me more of Gay Talese's.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

There's something undeniably contrived and posed about J.P.S
    I completely agree. Lookup "trying too hard" in the dictionary and his picture will pop up (Yes, I have a pop-up dictionary, why not?[​IMG] )

8. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Well-Known Member

My thought exactly.

9. epa

epa Well-Known Member

Didn't the bank guy in "A Man in Full" wear skull-and-bone braces? I mean, the guy who led these work-out sessions, trying to get the saddlebags out of the clients. Now I have finally found out where he got the braces from.

10. wEstSidE

wEstSidE Well-Known Member

Well, he references the Skull & Bones Club for his fashion label:

http://www.skullandbonesjps.com/

The sort of toadyish posturing and pretension that tends to characterize New York's grotesque "elite" microcosm.

i'm not sure if he's referencing skull and bones (though the fact that he mentions 21 quite often probably cements the fact). i'm fairly sure the skull and bones motif in clothing precedes this guy's attempts. i remember seeing a navy and red club tie on ebay a while back from brooks brothers. if he starts putting "322" or "13" or "7" on his stuff then he'll truly be posturing.

he's a poseur.

11. LARon

LARon Well-Known Member

When I read the story in the Times, I just thought he was a good example of the moral vacuity of the Dandy.

You do understand that Manton's book ("The Suit") uses "dandy" as the personification of the well dressed man, right?

12. LARon

LARon Well-Known Member

I know very little about this guy, but the fact that he wears a monocle and claims to have "started a literary salon" make very clear that he is, indeed, a dillhole.

13. Dormouse

Dormouse Well-Known Member

I think he'd look better with a pince-nez.