• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I had a reunion of sort with shoemaker Ryota Hayafuji last weekend. He travels to Tokyo/Osaka twice a year from Munich (where he is based), and meeting him again, I was reaffirmed with how fascinating this character really is (for my previous encounter with Hayafuji, please check out here). His equally fascinating shoes could be described as thoroughly cosmopolitan. I can imagine the shoes belonging to a well travelled gentleman during the 1920`s, who's taste in shoes is not bound by typical English town shoes; but enjoys mixing in elements of shoes he encountered in France, Italy, Central Europe and beyond.

For my first commission, I asked for a pair of `masculine` looking dress shoes that diverges from the current trend of going sleeker and leaner . Full round toe, Baguette shaped last, Continental welts and square waists....there`s plenty of time to think over the design, but first, the last.....

Ryota Hayafuji: Well Dressed

Bespoke samples. Several are displayed on a year-round basis at Old Hat Tokyo.

Wide welt and stitchwork inspired by old American shoes

The black oxfords on his signature baguette shaped last (the `Paris Last`) look nostalgic and refreshing at the same time.

A recent article on a German newspaper

For those who can read Deutsch....

Footprints taken.... one of the elements of German orthopedae that Hayafuji incorporated into his last making.

and measured..... I`ll see you back in about 9 months!!

bamboo

Reaction score
I had a reunion of sort with shoemaker Ryota Hayafuji last weekend. He travels to Tokyo/Osaka twice a year from Munich (where he is based), and meeting him again, I was reaffirmed with how fascinating this character really is (for my previous encounter with Hayafuji, please check out here). His equally fascinating shoes could be described as thoroughly cosmopolitan. I can imagine the shoes belonging to a well travelled gentleman during the 1920`s, who's taste in shoes is not bound by typical English town shoes; but enjoys mixing in elements of shoes he encountered in France, Italy, Central Europe and beyond.

For my first commission, I asked for a pair of `masculine` looking dress shoes that diverges from the current trend of going sleeker and leaner . Full round toe, Baguette shaped last, Continental welts and square waists....there`s plenty of time to think over the design, but first, the last.....

The black oxfords on his signature baguette shaped last (the `Paris Last`) look nostalgic and refreshing at the same time.

Footprints taken.... one of the elements of German orthopedae that Hayafuji incorporated into his last making.

Hi. NC. It looks they will turn out a very interesting pair.

If you do not mind, may I ask which criteria you have for choosing your shoe makers to commission your own pair. I am curious because you have known and personally seen many Japanese shoe makers and I assume you had not placed order to every single shoe maker you have met.
smile.gif

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Hi.  NC. It looks they will turn out a very interesting pair.  

If you do not mind, may I ask which criteria you have for choosing your shoe makers to commission your own pair.   I am curious because you have known and personally seen many Japanese shoe makers and I assume you had not placed order to every single shoe maker you have met.  :)

Thanks!
Yeah I wish I can order from all the shoemakers I`ve met :D

For this particular instance, I inquired several local and foreign makers about this specific vintage style/look that I was looking for. I actually asked Otsuka, since their vintage bespoke samples from Meiji ~ early Showa were what inspired me in the first place. However they didn`t seem interested in making a pair that would look like a replica of their old samples.

Then I revisited Hayafuji-san, and he seemed to know exactly what I was talking about. He sketched out some design ideas, and I really digged them. Love his lasts too. Not sure what he will think of this, but I felt a strong synergy between us :lol:

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well it's only been a few months but I'm dying to come back to Tokyo! Looking very much like I'll be there on 1 July, in fact.

I don't suppose anyone knows when Isetan, Hankyu, Beams etc go on sale this year?

Kind regards,

FP

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Well it's only been a few months but I'm dying to come back to Tokyo! Looking very much like I'll be there on 1 July, in fact.

I don't suppose anyone knows when Isetan, Hankyu, Beams etc go on sale this year?

Kind regards,

FP

Hi FP

Last year, Hankyu, Beams, and UA all started their sales on 6/28, but I heard they are pushing their sale back to early July this year (date not confirmed yet).

Isetan and Mitsukoshi already announced their sale dates. Starts a bit late on 7/17

dappertimes

Reaction score

Such a great etiquette. Very dapper.

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi FP

Last year, Hankyu, Beams, and UA all started their sales on 6/28, but I heard they are pushing their sale back to early July this year (date not confirmed yet).

Isetan and Mitsukoshi already announced their sale dates. Starts a bit late on 7/17

I had a feeling that Isetan would be later, and I suppose I can handle missing that madness: last time was just a little too chaotic for me.

I see that Beams and UA are both in 'pre-sale' mode on their websites, so surely they can't be too far off? I picked up a couple of suits last time and I want another three or so, plus some sports coats, shirts, and of course SHOES...

HighToned

Reaction score
I passed by Boot Black at Pitti.... but Unfortunately, they were too busy.

Last edited:

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which flavor is the most delicious?
lol8[1].gif

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Imai Hiroki / Il Quadrifoglio Trunk Shows @ Hankyu MENS Osaka 6/22~6/23

Shoemakers Imai Hiroki and Atsuki Qnai (Il Quadrifoglio) are having a joint trunk show at Osaka right now.
They are among the 15 craftsmen or so participating at the Premium Bags & Shoes Order Fair at Hankyu MENS.
Show ends tomorrow (Monday)!

Price for IQ bespoke starts from ¥237,600. Imai Hiroki MTO starts from ¥59,400.

Mr. Imai Hiroki, marking his 10th anniversary this year

Hankyu MEN`S link

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

i always thought it's true carpincho:facepalm:

Nah, its textured (cow) suede. Looks great though, I say 90% like the real thing :D It`s also available in olive.

Other than Qnai-san, I`ve seen Ugolini, Spigola, and Il Micio offer the same leather as well. I assume they are readily available in Italy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads