• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JermynStreet

Reaction score

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is that a triple oak sole? I haven't seen any other triple oak sole-jobs besides Dincklacker.

After your comment, I realised how elegant is the shoe even with a heavy double or triple tapered sole

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

After your comment, I realised how elegant is the shoe even with a heavy double or triple tapered sole

+1

From certain angles (from the blog), the pictures certainly make me forget they are triple soled.

I really have to make a pilgrimage to Kobe area one day..... :drool:

BespokeMakers

Reaction score
Very nice. I wonder if it would look proper on myself.

Anyway, since I have praised and thanked Nutcracker before for his excellent contributions(all deserved), I must do the same for you BespokeMakers.
Thanks a lot !
I am greatly honored by your words.

jasonmx3

Reaction score
I really have to make a pilgrimage to Kobe area one day.....
drool.gif

Where in Kobe is it located?

SharperLiving

Reaction score
A Visit to Emori Custom Shoemaker, Tokyo

Shoemaker Taizo Emori can make you a pair of bespoke shoes for ¥150K yen flat. Yes that costs less than most MTO shoes or even some high end RTW shoes. Yet make no mistake, these are not some watered down pseudo-bespoke shoes. By policy, Emori doesn't keep a collection of sample shoes, since all orders are made from scratch. Working alone from his atelier (that was converted from his late grandfather's medical clinic), he puts an incredible amount of effort into each pair (with an output of 3 pairs a month max). Aside from a few examples made years ago (posted below), I wasn't able to see much of completed works. Luckily, Emori-san's old (or should I say retro?) atelier was an absolute charm to be in (and to photograph), and he was a delight to converse with (he really is a funny guy).

I think the pictures came out great. Enjoy!

Trial shoes and lasts

Mr. Taizo Emori.

Emori Custom Shoemaker website
tel. fax 03-3771-6603
[email protected]

Emori has invited me to his atelier on Wednesday. I am based in London and have never had bespoke shoes before

As I am going to start working soon (yes, I am only 22, but have not started my full-time grad job yet), I will not have a chance to pop back to Tokyo for quite some time (at least a year), so I am worried about going bespoke; Emori said he sends the trial shoes by international post.

The other options are Spigola (again, I'm curious as to whether this amount of money can be justified) or a pair of RTWs for half the price. I picked up some brilliant Miyagi Kyogo monk-straps yesterday. What do you guys recommend?

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Holy ****. It's blind welter at the waist too...

Nope! - It's conventionally made. Stitched to the mid-sole with a bevelled waist. It's very neatly cut ("just show stitches"), you see the stitching on top of the welt. The Dainite sole is cemented on top.

The Dainite sole is actually quite large (but it might have been the smallest size available) and, presumably, the shoes are quite small. Which places the studs closer to the edge than they are supposed to be. There wouldn't have been any space (without going through the studs) to stitch the Dainite sole.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I'd assumed it was glued on, too, which almost seems a shame given the beauty of the shoe. I can see why, though.

What I'm wondering is how much stress there is on the cementing with the sole shaped around that London waist? I'd like a report from Nutcracker every six months of wear. :)

It certainly looks pretty extraordinary, though.

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Nope! - It's conventionally made. Stitched to the mid-sole with a bevelled waist. It's very neatly cut ("just show stitches"), you see the stitching on top of the welt. The Dainite sole is cemented on top.

The Dainite sole is actually quite large (but it might have been the smallest size available) and, presumably, the shoes are quite small. Which places the studs closer to the edge than they are supposed to be. There wouldn't have been any space (without going through the studs) to stitch the Dainite sole.

Yes! the dainite sole is cemented on, and it takes the contours (on the bevelled waist) quite nicely IMO. Qnai-san said it was a pain to make it. and yeah, the soles do look thick, maybe the owner requested for a double sole? I recall Dainite (or was it Vibram?) has a `thin` version of the studded sole (for dress shoes).

ps these are not my shoes :)

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Even so, as a matter of journalistic integrity you must find the owner and follow him around.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads