• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Japanese Denim

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, what if I already haven't bought jeans in six months? Does that mean I must buy new jeans immediately? I think yes.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hehe, six months sure is a long time :p I think I'm actually gonna try and put of all non-necessary clothing purchases for a while, to make sure it hasn't become an addiction. Maybe with an exception for the Fred Segal summer sale :p

As soon as that time period is over, I'm buying at least one pair from this thread :p

capnpyro

Reaction score
I think I've already bugged Brian about this, but someone else here might know. I'm thinking Im going to get some SD-103's for my next pair of jeans since it fits the criteria I've narrowed it down too; moderately low rise, straight legged, about a 2/5 on the tightness cale, dry, will fade excellently and turn out most beautiful, unique and preferably not nudie since Im just at 6 months with some nudies and want to change it up. Plus everyone here's always raving about japanese denim. I'd like to try Samurai's since they appeal to me for some reason but I can't find which one is cut similar to the SD-103, any other suggestions similar to what I described or more Samurai info would be helpful. Edit: I'm another one that'll join in on the abstinence after just one more pair! Actually I only buy one pair every 6 months, and I wear em until they're good and broken in!

horriblyjollyjinx

Reaction score
The samurais that are closest are the s0505xx, they are low rise but a slimmer leg. I have the sd103s and have ordered the 505s so I can compare them for you when I get them.

You could also try the S5000VX, it's about the same leg width but more like a mid/high rise.
I think that the Samurai GEISHA SO510L XX-66 and s0510XXII might fit too, but they are more like a mid rise too.

worn down

Reaction score
I'm going to wash my RRDS after 8 months and I'm ready to move on to Japanese dry selvedge. Reading this thread, it seems like the SD-103 is what I'm looking for, low-rise and straight. I want my next pair to be looser, so I'm thinking of maybe getting a 31 (sizing up from my 30 RRDS). Or perhaps a 32? Any input would be greatly appreciated as my knowledge of Japanese denim is limited to what I've read on this board.

horriblyjollyjinx

Reaction score
SD's shrink to tagged size while your Nudies are probably 2-3" larger than tagger size. Measure your jeans or yourself and you will know what size to get. The SD-103s can stretch up to 2" btw, if you get them tight that is.

sashae

Reaction score
I'm off to Tokyo on Friday for 10 days, and I plan on hunting down some good denim while there. Superfuture's SuperCity list is pretty difficult to navigate if y ou don't know exactly what you're looking for.... can anyone recommend any essential shops to hit to find interesting denim? I'm particularly looking for either Sugar Cane Hawaii's, Samurai Zero's or SD-101XX (probably not findable...)

Any thoughts on essential places to hit?

trinket

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sashae
I'm off to Tokyo on Friday for 10 days, and I plan on hunting down some good denim while there. Superfuture's SuperCity list is pretty difficult to navigate if y ou don't know exactly what you're looking for.... can anyone recommend any essential shops to hit to find interesting denim? I'm particularly looking for either Sugar Cane Hawaii's, Samurai Zero's or SD-101XX (probably not findable...)

Any thoughts on essential places to hit?

Although they're not working properly, you could try my google denim maps mash up.

http://www.indigofan.com/indigofan/denimmaps.html

As ringring recommended to me last year... Ueno is probably the best bet. Hinoya stores and Americaya have a big range.

Reaction score
Trinket, that's your site? I'm always sending someone that link or using for it for reference or just getting my fix there.
Cheers!

trinket

Reaction score
Thanks DDML. Glad you like the site. I'll post updates each time I wash, but it's gonna be a long time... I have the worst career for denim abrasion... Web Programmer.
plain.gif

Keep up the funny posts and poetry!

The natural indigo on the Canes SC40500s isn't showing any signs of wear. I've heard similar comments made about natural indigo on nudies and dartisans - where a similar fade takes 6 months longer. Perhaps the other vegetable components bond the molecules to the cotton?

Reaction score
The pocket bags and the patch on those Edo's are unmatched, IMO.
Your pictures are amazingly clear, how many MegaPixels???

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads