• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Japanese Denim

raley

Reaction score
I have a friend that is coming in from Japan in a few weeks, so I figured I would start here by asking what I should have him bring me back.

Right now my current denim lineup is as follows:

APC NS
PDC GTO 1 Year
RRL Bootcut (non-Wrangler pocket version)
Diesel Straight Leg (Rabox?) in a very plain wash
Nudie RRDS (in transit via gf who is still in spain)

I'm not really sure what I'm looking for, so I guess I'm open to suggestion. Only thing is that I am not really fond of the antifit 501-style bottom, and I'm not sure if I want another tapered jean. I am thinking that this is the predominant style and Japan and I might be eliminating any interesting options, but like I said I'm open to suggestions.

Other than denim, is there anything else I should ask for him to bring back?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by raley
Other than denim, is there anything else I should ask for him to bring back?

a pair of soiled underage schoolgirl's panties from a vending machine
inlove.gif

denim-wise....I'd want a pair of Samurais or SDA 103

minya

Reaction score
Well, what do you want? I own two pairs of Japanese jeans, Eternal 811 and Studio D'artisan SD-103. Neither is anti-fit and neither is tapered. Both straight, slim (but not skinny) legs.

raley

Reaction score
I guess I am just curious as to what my options are. Is the best way to research these just to look at rakuten? The pricing would be the same as listed from Yen->USD on the site, right?

Get Smart - how do the Samurais fit?

Mainly I'm just looking to find out what the most popular japanese options are and pick one based on whichever I like.

I think I am going to be aiming for slim-regular fit legs, with straight to boot leg openings.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by raley
Get Smart - how do the Samurais fit?

I've never tried on a pair, but I have some friends who bought em last fall while in Japan. It's heavy selvage denim (19oz i think), straight leg...on the slimmer side but not tight. The details look really cool on them. I'm guessing they fit like SDA 103 or Eternal 811 that Minya has.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Those Jet*G jeans are awesome. Proof that backpocket stitching and leather patches can be way cool.

weirdnjfan1

Reaction score
One word: Uniglo.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SDA 103 or 203R (which I have) - a somewhat slim straight cut.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by weirdnjfan1
One word: Uniglo.

Unfortunately, there aren't any jeans being made in Japan by that name.
wink.gif

Sorry, the urge was overwhelming!

I second the Eternal 811 suggestion. If I had money (and the need for yet *another* pair of project jeans) right now, that's what I'd go for.

minya

Reaction score
For anyone who cares: Eternal 811 and SDA SD-103 are nearly identical, but there are a few differences worth mentioning.

- SD-103 is lower rise (one less fly button), about 1.5" less rise.

- Eternal's denim is... "striated".. for lack of a better word. Vertical striations are very visible in the denim, esp. after some wear. This is not the case with D'artisan. Not sure what this means.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
minya, any idea how the SD-103s wear in comparison to the Eternals (since we all know the Eternals fade beautifully)? I'm sure they wear quite well, I'm just curious whether anyone has any firsthand experience.

minya

Reaction score
I am sure they fade just as well as Eternal. I've been wearing my pair for seven weeks now and they're beginning to whisker and honeycomb and I can already tell that they're going to be beautiful.

http://www.studio-dartisan.co.jp (I think that's the url) has pictures of how their jeans fade.

nairb49

Reaction score
minya-

When you're talking about striations, is it similar to slubby denim? Or just vertical lines?
I find my RRDS is starting to get some vertical lines, but they seem a bit too regular to be classified as "slubby", even though I'm not sure what the exact definition would be...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads