1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Jackets - proper length?

Discussion in 'Menswear Advice' started by claudiostyle, Jun 2, 2016.

1. claudiostyle

claudiostyle New Member

Who can tell me the right length of a jacket without being too long or too short

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

I am going to move this to Menswear Advice, but the general guideline is that the jacket should both truncate your body into halves, and also cover your butt. In nearly all cases, these are not incompatible one with the other, unless you have a very unusual body type, in which case, you probably need a tailor to make you look balanced.

1 person likes this.
  3. AldridgePrior

AldridgePrior Member

I was kinda wondering about this too so thanks for the above. I have just bought a sports jacket and I think I've got it right. As sad as it seems, I kinda tried to imitate some of the guys modelling these things on the particular clothing websites. If an item sat a certain way then that must be the way it should be.
    The impression being that they know what is right and what isn't because if they didn't they wouldn't be in business.

I'm new so go easy on me [​IMG]. I'll get there.[​IMG]

4. LA Guy

A lot of modern jackets are quite a bit shorter than what has traditionally been considered a good range. Of course, we have also had periods in which jackets were rather longer (1920s, 1980s), so it's scarcely like the norms don't change. They typically don't change as much as women's hemlines, but they do change, and quite a bit.

5. Orsini

Orsini Well-Known Member

Half the distance from the collar to the deck.

6. Alpha11

Alpha11 Well-Known Member

To determine the proper length of a jacket you will need to measure from the collar of your jacket to the bottom of the coat that will give you one number. For example the coller ( base of the coller) to the tail of the coat/jacket is 32. Then from the bottom of the coat/jacket to the floor or your heel will give you another number. For example 33 or 31. Those numbers should be as close to a 50/50 split as possible so, your measurements would look like 32/33 that would be a good length. However if those numbers or like 32/36 then you would have a jacket/coat that is either too long or too short.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  7. LA Guy

While this is a fie way to do it, it doesn't really take into account the specific shape of the wearer's body, the cut of the jacket and the pants, etc... I think that the "mirror" test is the only really good one. I think that roughly 50/50 is good for most guys, but if you have an very long torso, or very long legs, etc... that the proportions need to be adjusted accordingly.