1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

J FitzPatrick Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by culverwood, Apr 12, 2013.

1. cbfn

cbfn Well-Known Member

Dat moss suede tho.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. laufer

laufer Well-Known Member

Guys,

I need some sizing advice,

I take size 10 UK in Carmina Rain last, very good fitting. I also take size 10 In Forest and Oscar last. These are good fit to. I have tried Simpson last but it was too narrow.
    EG I take 10.5 E on 202 and 606 last and GG I take size 10.5 E on all lasts except TG73 which was narrow in toe box in my 10.5 E size.
    Based on this can anyone recommend how would J. Fitzpatrick lasts

NGT and TMG fit.

3. The Shoe Snob

The Shoe Snob Well-Known Member

Based on that I would suggest the UK10 as we will fit more closely to Carmina then the other two. The TMG will be more forgiving in width than the NGT

-Justin

4. J FitzPatrick

J FitzPatrick Active Member

Hi All,

Hope everyone having a great week!

We have also just launched our Magnolia model in Brown Soft Grain with a City Rubber Sole.

Details:

• Last TMG
    • Soft Grain Calf (Du Puy - France)
    • City Rubber Sole
    • Hand-Lasted Waist
    • Leatherboard Heel Stiffeners
    • Goodyear Welted
    • Fully Leather Lined
    • Made in Spain

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the ideal smart yet casual Autumn/Winter Oxford that will definitely compliment a number of your outfits.

We hope you enjoy!

If you have any questions regarding sizing/fit please do drop me a line at sjones@jfitzpatrickfootwear.com

Cheers!

Simon

1 person likes this.
  5. J FitzPatrick

Dear All,

A few more updates for you all.

We have recently launched are new Button-Shoe - The Aurora which has been a great success! It's the ultimate shoe to have a point of difference but still keeping up an elegant appearance.(See below both models)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Have a great rest of your week!

Simon

2 people like this.
  6. Sartorium

Sartorium Well-Known Member

Is it my imagination, or does the black suede on the black-on-black button shoes look different from the black suede on the black-on-black button boots?

Next year's Aurums with the Mother-of-Pearl buttons? [​IMG]

7. J FitzPatrick

Hey

The Black Suede is the same on both models, I guess it could just be the pictures.

We can offer MOP buttons on the Aurora if you wanted them changed from the current ones as we have spares of the buttons from the Button Boots.

Shoot me an email if this is of interest: sjones@jfitzpatrickfootwear.com

Thanks

Simon

8. The Shoe Snob

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  9. The Shoe Snob

A question for all of you?

I know many people have that J.FitzPatrick shoes participate here on Style Forum but many of you do not engage in this thread as you would in another, say Meermin, Carmina, Crockett or the likes and I am curious as to why?

I would love for this thread to be more active so am looking for any potential reasons as to why it is not or any feedback at all.

Thank you

-Justin

also, something new here that I designed .... a bit different, hopefully in a refreshing way

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

Hi Justin,

Saw these pics yesterday (instagram I think) and went to your site and they're not there. makes them really new then?

Regards to your other point I'd be interested to hear too...

Best,

cleav

11. culverwood

culverwood Well-Known Member

That's the first whole-cut I like the look of.

12. Shawl Lapel

Shawl Lapel Well-Known Member

I feel like a lot of the activity on the Meermin and Carmina threads is related to sizing, and there appear to be far fewer sizing questions here so there's less discussion. I think your presence on IG is also far better (as compared to the Meermin/Carmina) so you're getting feedback there (likes and comments) as opposed to in this thread? @The Shoe Snob

13. Trqmaster

Trqmaster Well-Known Member

I agree with Shawl Lapel regarding most posts being about sizing. Also, their sizing questions aren't usually answered by the companies, but by the general public and it goes back and forth regarding sizing advice. To me, none of it really seems concrete. In your thread, you actually answer the sizing questions thereby stopping those discussions. All of us really appreciate that personal touch!

1 person likes this.
  14. WhereNext

WhereNext Well-Known Member

I'm also guilty of buying (and loving) a good number of your shoes, but also not being the type to snap pictures and post them on here. As noted above, I would try to chime in to give advice to someone who asks, but you or your team is usually so good at getting back to them right away, that there's no need.

15. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Well-Known Member

Its a bit puzzling to me as well.... SF is a tough crowd to get through to engage discussion. Some affiliate burn to the ground on their first few pages....

I think you are respected by many; from your prior (and on going) internet presence, and time spent in the industry.

Other manufacturers are not present on SF. A lot of the discussion is members, trying to figure out what is going on with the brand, what size, what is changing, etc...
    They also have poor social media presence, and most have language barrier issues. The only way to find out about them, is to discuss on places like SF.

You lay a lot of the information out on the table, keep people posted on upcoming models, and have strong social media. A lot of questions are already answered. CS via email is second to none.

There is a few things which I think are key to success online.
    I realize your not looking for sales related opinions, as much as you are looking for interest and discussion about the brand

- Definitive sizing guides with photos compared to other brands (10 popular other brands lasts vs. JF lasts) - sizing challenges, or uncertainty halts a lot of traffic/interest.
    (Carmina, Meermin, Vass, Enzo, etc. threads all started off like this, and the consumer may be getting a bit more cautious)

- Different/unique models (I think its the greatest strength, personally) but not everyone is into button boots or punched wholecuts. BUT you also have conservative and classic models, so it doesn't quite add up.

- Everyone wants a DEAL online. Now, your shoes are already a deal at US exchange rates.
    More pre-orders, GMTO's, or other bigger incentives may spur a bit more discussion/traffic. Enzo/Skoak ran a no MTO fee to get people on board and to begin trying the brand.

IMO, you certainly deserve more action on SF, and I've been happy to be a part of the thread and seeing your new updates and projects.

1 person likes this.
  16. Shawl Lapel

Shawl Lapel Well-Known Member

I had another thought since my earlier post. If you scour the net for information as a new person breaking into "menswear" you'll see Meermin come up a lot. It's touted as classical styling at a price point everyone can afford - especially college kids getting into the real world. Plus they're goodyear welted and sturdy (read impossible to break in, as many report).

IMO, the person that's just getting into dressing better and doesn't have a lot of money to spend is going to be far more cautious about jumping in with both feet (pun intended). And, if you've only ever worn sneakers you're going to need a lot more help correlating that sizing into a dress shoe.

When you're buying at a JFP price point, your basic shoe wardrobe is probably already taken care of and you can branch out to some "classic with a twist" designs. And knowing your general UK size from wearing other brands is probably enough to make a purchase without going back and forth with forum members trying to nail down sizing. To add to CanadaCal's sentiments, customer service is English-speaking, extremely helpful, and superbly fast. When you get a response to your inquiry with all the information you need, there's no need to toss a question up to the forums.

I think you see less traffic in here, not because you're doing something wrong. But because you're doing everything right.

2 people like this.
  17. Pbayvip

Pbayvip Well-Known Member

My few thoughts - first of all, you have a relatively new brand, as opposed to those makers that you mention, so that means less buyers who have past experience to share.

Second - no shell means you lose on all the shell fanatics (I would say that 50% of c&j thread is shell, shell, shell).

Third - no GMTO options (those always create activity).

And last, it seems to me that you announce new models twice a year, whereas there's always something happening in the Skoak thread (for instance) - new arrivals, new GMTOs, pictures of MTOs…..

I remember that approximately a year ago you posted some pictures of a pretty sweet boot model, immediately got five to six responses stating that these are great, and when will they be available - your response was that it was too late for last season, anybody can order it as an MTO, but that it will be a stock model next season (as in now)….and they are still not available, instead we can choose between 7 colourways of the same button boot (which are not to everybody's liking, not to mention us high-instepped people who should probably stay away from that style).

Just my opinion….

1 person likes this.
  18. JUAN MANUEL

JUAN MANUEL Well-Known Member

I am suprised with your question, I belive that asking questions shows a lot of strength and a non usual concern about your customers.

Here my thoughts:

- I subscribe most of the obvservations (shell, GMTO, sizing).
    - Most of the posts related to shoes are from new commers asking for advice and shoefreaks like me trying to show some addition to their collection (the EG thread is a sample of this).
    - If you make a ratio of number of replies in a thread vs number of times the thread is read maybe you can have an idea of the kind you reader or potential customer reads the thread. The analysis can go further; the number of times a post is replied, etc.
    - I also think that lots of SF members just read the posts and don't post; you can see the lots of posts are from members with higher reputations.
    - Some of the most active threads are filled with complains about sizing and commenting new products (Gustin thread is a good example and is becoming quite annoying).

Finally, the speed and amount of replies your question had shows how much your customers care about the brand.

I hope is useful.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  19. culverwood

culverwood Well-Known Member

I do not think a thread which has umpteen posts a day is necessarily better than one which has fewer. I access SF now via the "threads I have participated in", this means I take notice of fewer new threads but ones like Skoaktiebollaget and G&G I still rarely look at because there is so much inconsequential stuff going on in them.

I agree that the concept of Group MTO would elicit greater participation and I wonder if more of your Dandy Shoe Care collaborations would work or whether we have enough zany patinas now.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  20. The Shoe Snob

What was shown is simply a sample. They will release only in this color for S/S17 to test how they do....so come Feb/March they will be available. Glad that you like them!