1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

J.Crew Spring/Summer 2013

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by pnewelljr, Oct 4, 2012.

1. applky

applky Well-Known Member

2. potemkin_city_limits

potemkin_city_limits Well-Known Member

I saw these Wallace & Barnes pants in person yesterday and I was very surprised at how badly constructed they are. The finishing on all of the seams looks terrible. The pants look like they are falling apart straight off the rack. I understand trying to design clothing to have a vintage aesthetic but this is just ridiculous. I have a pair of pants from American Eagle that I bought for $30 with better construction and finishing than these.

[​IMG]

3. pasteurisation

pasteurisation Well-Known Member

Did you tell him your opinion? I bought two pairs of vintage style chino for $20 each at woodbury outlet. They are really nice for the price though.

4. pvoytko

pvoytko Well-Known Member

does woodbury sell retail jcrew or factory

5. pasteurisation

6. SchoolyardBully

SchoolyardBully Well-Known Member

well, i don't recommend washing them. It's going to fall apart [​IMG]

7. pasteurisation

Haha. It is okay because they cost only $20. Anyway, I've washed them, but they still look solid.

8. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Well-Known Member

They got decent reviews on the RRL thread... For selvedge / thick chino, RRL makes a good pair, and Epaulet's duck canvas chinos look great as well

9. boxdok

boxdok Well-Known Member

^ Anybody know the Brand and name of the boots the model is wearing? Thanks in Advance.

10. Gauss17

Gauss17 Well-Known Member

11. deez nuts

deez nuts Well-Known Member

didn't realize that they also made an olive colored version of the quilted overshirt, its on sale now too!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  12. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Jeeze, this brand has gotten boring.

1 person likes this.
  13. Arnold Grape

Arnold Grape Well-Known Member

Why? Popular interpretation of J. Crew among peeps I know is that they produce good quality basics at a decent price on sale. I think this still holds true. Possibly you have just evolved beyond it.

2 people like this.
  14. wj4

wj4 Well-Known Member

I fully agree. The brand has been 'boring' for several years now. It hasn't really changed since 2009 or so. Still the same chinos with the cuffs flipped, workwear boots, etc.

There's a 40% off clearance items that started yesterday in store. Picked up a sweater, 2 henley's and a button down for $80.

15. pasteurisation

In my opinion, j.crew has become stronger and more interesting. I didn't like much this brand before.

1 person likes this.
  16. Arnold Grape

Arnold Grape Well-Known Member

You could probably qualify this statement with, 'staple items are boring to me'. Alternately, one might say, 'The American workwear tradition is becoming tired to me.' It seems difficult to be inventive within that niche, when the reference point is becoming so prominent. I am interested to know what brands you dudes are into, or if designers which do similar things as J. Crew, like Battenwear or RRL, among others, are possibly more inventive to you?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  17. wj4

wj4 Well-Known Member

I love and rock all brands, man. J. Crew makes up a nice portion of my wardrobe for t shirts, and basics. I also like Paul Smith, Alexander McQueen, etc. I still buy and wear Nike and Jordan sneakers with tapered sweats and jogger pants, the stuff I loved as a kid in the '90s.

I've been saying this for a while. At one point, I saw J. Crew with being on point as Banana Republic, but they have created a niche space for themselves being a 'mall brand' with collabs from brands like Alden, CdG, Reigning Champ, etc.

The Men Store and 'stylists' is pure genius. I've seen many men walked into the Men Store and drop several thousands for a full wardrobe make over. These men command good salaries, but aren't the most stylist and the outfits featured on J. Crew is more or less in line with what is shown on GQ so that's "dressing sharp or dapper".

18. pasteurisation

Right, the stylists do really great job.

19. applky

applky Well-Known Member

What has changed since 2008/9: The quality of their materials and workmanship has declined precipitously. All of my pre-2009 J Crew is made with superior construction and fabrics to everything else I have from them.

1 person likes this.
  20. JezeC

JezeC Well-Known Member

I think Jcrew does a great job by providing vintage styles for a fraction of the price (during its sale) compared to other heritage brands. For me, it's still one of the better mall brands out there.