1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

J.Crew Spring/Summer 2013

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by pnewelljr, Oct 4, 2012.

1. kayumochi

kayumochi Active Member

My gripe with J Crew Ludlow is this: I have a largish head, not freakish or anything, just largish. Luckily I have a full head of hair and broad shoulders and wear my sideburns at the appropriate length so all is good ... but when I put on a Ludlow shirt I see that I need a fuller collar to balance the size of my head (wider lapels too). I wish Ludlow shirts and suits had a variety of collar and lapel sizes instead of the one-size-fits-all approach ...

2. Golf54

Golf54 Well-Known Member

what brand/size shirts fit well for you? I have just an inch smaller measurement and I feel the same way about j crew shirts. (slim fit medium)

3. kayumochi

kayumochi Active Member

Agreed. Ludlow shirts are not all that slim. The Benetton dress shirt is much slimmer but some of the models are much too short so they continually come out of the trouser but look really good untucked with jeans.

4. RyanAnderson

RyanAnderson Well-Known Member

Agree with the others - not that slim so will require some tailoring. Don't think they're worth buying at full retail but on sale for $50 or less they're ok.

I like the BB slim fit for around the same price. Kamakura has a good reputation on the board as well but I have no experience with them.

5. Leather

Leather Well-Known Member

None lol, gotta get every brand tailored. Jcrew slim fit medium is too small in shoulders and arms

6. poena

poena Well-Known Member

is brooks brothers extra slim fit slimmer than Jcrew ludlow?

7. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Well-Known Member

Not sure about the credit card part, but I had the sleeves and pants altered. I do believe them mentioning being able to take shoulders or sides in and out for a fee. They do use a local tailor in NYC (they claim this tailor only works on J Crew).

8. RyanAnderson

RyanAnderson Well-Known Member

Yes, my experience (14 1/2 x 32) is that it is MUCH slimmer than ludlow size S. I can't fit in the extra slim fit, but fits may be different with larger neck sizes.

My ludlow fits similar to the BB slim fit in my size, both of which require slimming in the body and sleeves.

9. Tck13

Tck13 Well-Known Member

That's the way that they do it in the Philly area J. Crews. It could very well be different in other areas.

10. NickyEyes

NickyEyes Well-Known Member

My JCrew (Princeton, NJ) gets their tailoring done by a local tailor, who happens to be my regular tailor anyway. She's not exclusive to JCrew as she is the tailor for my local Ralph Lauren store as well. and yes, the tailoring service is only for 'basic alterations' and only for JCrew credit card members.

11. JezeC

JezeC Well-Known Member

They are very similar. a XS in Jcrew slim will be tighter in the chest than a BB ESF. PM me if you have any questions regarding their sizes.

12. Bbombers85

Bbombers85 Well-Known Member

40% off sale items going on in store at the moment. Copped a couple of Thomas Mason ludlow shirts at $60 per.

Also, INSTYLE25 gives you 25% off anything on their site. Even aldens and ludlows.

Got a Drake's tweed tie using it.

2 people like this.
  13. sholom

sholom Well-Known Member

I need some merino cardigans. Are jcrews better or worse than club monacos? They're basically the same price.

1 person likes this.
  14. jhwendland

jhwendland Well-Known Member

I refuse to buy sweaters from J Crew. They all stretch out after a single wear.

15. crosswound

crosswound Well-Known Member

Just picked up the jcrew brand wingtips after that 25% off no brainer

16. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Well-Known Member

Not saying J Crew sweaters are super quality but don't all sweaters stretch to some extent?

17. masaccio

masaccio Well-Known Member

Thanks for this heads up, I've missed the last one or two but finally got in on this one for Alden cordovan boots. I can wait for the back order at that discount, especially since I was using a gift card!

18. meowmix1891

meowmix1891 Well-Known Member

Man I wish I jumped on this code when I saw it on Friday. Was contemplating buying the cordovan alden boots, and now theyre "sold out" on my size. I placed an order for a half size up anyways, but even this is "backordered" until december. How likely is it that they will stock up between now and december, and I will be able to exchange these to a different size?

19. masaccio

masaccio Well-Known Member

It's unlikely that they will add any stock. Based on watching the listings over the past year, in particular those that are back ordered, it looks like J. Crew puts in an order with Alden and releases the shoes/boots for sale on their website once they have confirmation of their order from Alden. Earlier this summer the expected ship date for these boots was late August. There have been confirmations in the Alden thread that folks who ordered them earlier this summer did, indeed, receive them in mid to late August.

You're probably not totally out of luck, though, as there are others who will likely return theirs for sizing reasons. But you have to monitor stock when the time comes.

20. notwithit

notwithit Well-Known Member

I gotta say, between the "in good company" lines and the 25 - 40% discounts that seem to float around pretty regularly, sometimes J. Crew is kind of awesome.