1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

J.Crew Spring/Summer 2013

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by pnewelljr, Oct 4, 2012.

1. jhwendland

jhwendland Well-Known Member

Actually, I just bought a slim-fit shirt from Old Navy and it's on par with offerings from J Crew, which isn't saying much, considering J Crew barely meets the minimum requirements for a passable shirt.

2. Tck13

Tck13 Well-Known Member

I'll buck the trend and say that if you like some of the factory shirts, get them. I don't think you'll regret them. I'd say that they're one of the things I trust from the factory. Plus, you can get them on sale a lot at the store and if you get lucky, you'll get them on clearance before the end of the season. That's not easy to do though as the flannels sell VERY quickly. You might have a hard time getting something decent after Black Friday.

I'm always curious to hear why people think that they're crap?

Just keep in mind, the flannels and work shirts don't fit the same as the tailored shirts. They're cut a little boxier.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  3. Snoopy

Snoopy Well-Known Member

That's what holds me back since I wear a slim fit XS. Their selection of slim fit is poor compared to Jcrew. XS in Uniqlo is a relaxed fit. Not too boxy.

I've tried regular Jcrew XS and it fits me huge.

Thanks for your post on the factory deals.

4. Tck13

Tck13 Well-Known Member

My guess is that J. Crew makes the flannel and workshirts a little bigger and boxier because they are completely casual shirts. The tailored fit and slim fit regular shirts are slightly more dressy / a bit more refined.

5. poena

poena Well-Known Member

picked up a slim fit washed shirt this weekend from Jcrew factory store for $33.

good price for the shirt IMO.

6. shadykay sf

shadykay sf Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Copped these 2 on sale today.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  7. boxdok

boxdok Well-Known Member

^ nice pickup. I recently copped one of the j crew in good company shuttle notes shirt and while I admit it was pricy at 200 quality was top notch. I have quite afew RRL shirts and the j crew shirt was substantially better quality. Shirt is cut really slim you may have to sz up

8. sholom

sholom Well-Known Member

Anyone can comment on the quality of the Ludlow shirts? They're the accompaniment to the Ludlow Suits. Are they worth $88?

9. NickyEyes

NickyEyes Well-Known Member

I had to buy the the chambray dress shirt when it dropped like two weeks ago. the cut is nice and the quality seems fine to me.

i tend to only buy jcrew stuff during sales though, mainly because they happen so frequently, so its not really necessary to buy stuff at full price.

10. sholom

sholom Well-Known Member

Thanks. Just not sure I can compare the chambray quality to the two ply cotton ones.

11. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Well-Known Member

FWIW I like the J Crew suits. For $700, I can get a suit in a variety if fabrics and colors with a nice fit, free tailoring (with a two or three day turnaround). Fabric quality is decent enough. Other options like SuitSupply are good but it is very easy to walk into a J Crew store, get a good fitting suit with no hassle. Brooks Brothers 1818 suits are priced the same, and while the fabric quality is better there, fit quality may not be (especially in the pants for me, which are always too big)

12. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  13. brokeassp

brokeassp Well-Known Member

do all j crew stores offer free tailoring?

14. Kenneth Cole Haan

Kenneth Cole Haan Well-Known Member

Almost all but it depends on what services. Georgetown only offers trouser hemming, apparently people were having their jacket sleeves taken in to the wrong length and then returning them.

15. Tck13

Tck13 Well-Known Member

Retail, as far as I know, only offers "free tailoring" if you open or have a J. Crew credit card and only on the length of the sleeves and the length of the pants. Any other types of alterations aren't free.

They also don't do the alterations themselves. They ship it to a local tailor.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  16. poena

poena Well-Known Member

i've gotten them on sale and they fit me pretty well off the rack. good enough for me to wear but then again I don't have anything more expensive to compare to

17. jhwendland

jhwendland Well-Known Member

Mine doesn't.

18. Leather

Leather Well-Known Member

Ludlow shirts fit very loose for me all around except chest and shoulder. I have a 41" chest and 30" waist though. The Ludlow shirts aren't that slim

19. sholom

sholom Well-Known Member

Thanks. Any info on the quality? How they hold up after a wash?

20. Leather

Leather Well-Known Member

Washed mine about 3 times so far, has held up well.