1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

J Crew Spring/Summer 2011 Discussion

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by raptorrapture, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Harbin

Harbin Well-Known Member

ohhhh...DAMN i need to cop those exclusives then

2. deez nuts

deez nuts Well-Known Member

other than that, the sizing is the same?

3. tedbearz

tedbearz Well-Known Member

Anyone go to the sample sale in NYC currently being held ?

4. supermidget

supermidget Well-Known Member

Anyone go to the sample sale in NYC currently being held ?

I went yesterday. don't waste your time, nothing special there at all, pricing has also skyrocketed over the previous years.

5. deez nuts

deez nuts Well-Known Member

I went yesterday. don't waste your time, nothing special there at all, pricing has also skyrocketed over the previous years.
    i heard the same from a friend who went. thinking about getting a navy ludlow suit for a friend's wedding coming up.

6. tedbearz

tedbearz Well-Known Member

Got back there were only 3-4 racks of clothes for men and table of store label shoes. Pickings were slims even on those. Prices are better in retail stores during sales.

7. tcolberg

tcolberg Well-Known Member

What brand? Does Nordstrom make their own brand of shoes?

Yes, under their house brand of "1901". I have the Carson Oxfords in Blue. They were on sale at the time for $50. They're pretty damned good and would still be decent at the full retail.

8. Bond111

Bond111 Well-Known Member

So I recently purchased the resin crinkle selvedge jeans through the red phone. Im confused tho at why the raw pair is $225, & the resin is $150. Seems like it's the from the same place. Is the raw a heavier weight?

Also I'm debating if I should have just got a pair from rogue territory & pay $50 more. Worth it compared to the 484 selvedge?

I love my sun faded oxford from jcrew though. Nice and soft and seems to be slimmer than some of their other shirts. Wish all of their "non slim" shirts fit like it.

9. snuff_daddy

snuff_daddy Well-Known Member

one is raw and one isnt. from the pics it looks like the resin version are washed/treated. you prob should have bought both pairs and returned the ones u didnt like.

10. gymman

gymman Member

I looked through the sale items for shirts. Their shirts run for about $60, even on sale.

What are the differences in construction quality or fabrics vs. less expensive brands such as landsend canvas?

How do you justify paying 3X or 6X as much for jcrew for identical styles?

11. mike868y

mike868y Well-Known Member

well for one, lec fits weird sometimes and they don't have xs.

12. about11oclock

about11oclock Well-Known Member

nor does jcrew, their xs is like a true smedium in my experience.

13. fiestaplatypus

fiestaplatypus Well-Known Member

I looked through the sale items for shirts. Their shirts run for about $60, even on sale.

What are the differences in construction quality or fabrics vs. less expensive brands such as landsend canvas?

How do you justify paying 3X or 6X as much for jcrew for identical styles?

I'm not gonna try to answer the question regarding quality, but pricing does get much lower for their stuff. After a few weeks, they'll likely discount those prices further and then they'll usually do an extra 30% off sale items to clear everything out. Prices will usually dip into the $30 range for shirts before sizes get very limited.

In store, shirts can be had in the sale section in the sub-$20 range.

14. snuff_daddy

snuff_daddy Well-Known Member

this is true. their in-store 30% off sale price deals make shirts extremely affordable. like the previous poster stated i've purchased plenty of their shirts at $20 or less. i own both LEC and Jcrew items. To me, Jcrew products are superior.

15. Dope Nixon

Dope Nixon Well-Known Member

Just bought a J-Crew Workers Chambray off eBay, since they don't ship to Australia. Anyone have one of these, how are they?

16. zerostyle

zerostyle Well-Known Member

this is true. their in-store 30% off sale price deals make shirts extremely affordable. like the previous poster stated i've purchased plenty of their shirts at $20 or less. i own both LEC and Jcrew items. To me, Jcrew products are superior.

I own a few button downs from both LEC and J Crew Factory. With sales, the LEC shirts were around $12 each, and the J Crew Factory shirts were around $20 each.

IMO, the J Crew Factory stuff is pretty decent quality for that price range.

The fit is very different for these shirts, though. I bought both in small:

LEC - The small just -barely- fits me at 5'9 150lbs. I like that the sleeves run a little bit shorter. One major complaint is that the buttons seem to have very tight spacing, which makes it odd for me to wear with one button open. It either looks almost completely closed, or WAY open if I undo 2 buttons. Not sure what I can do about that.

JCrew Factory - Also bought in small, is considerably baggier than the LEC shirt, particularly in the chest. The sleeves seem to run very long in this shirt - far longer than LEC, banana republic, gap, h&m, express, or any other similarly priced shirts.

Any other good options in the < $20 range? (Uniqlo +J in medium seems like a good option, but not available until I can make it up to NYC)

17. Bond111

Bond111 Well-Known Member

Anyone have a coupon from the new magazine they aren't going to use?? Would totally use it.

18. Bullethead86

Bullethead86 Active Member

19. pimpmystyle

pimpmystyle Well-Known Member

20. freewilliee

freewilliee Well-Known Member

anyone seen the secretwash gingham shirt in orange? been looking for this. if someone can proxy that would be great.