1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

J.Crew Sizing and Fit

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by flytothesky, Jan 13, 2009.

1. khoi

khoi Well-Known Member

Call them up and give the item number, they'll give you basic measurements.

Compare those measurements with good fitting sweaters you currently own.

Choose to buy accordingly.

^This

Or go to a jcrew store and try things on.

2. gdc_2008

gdc_2008 Well-Known Member

I still haven't gotten my classic fit chinos...think they must have messed that up big time (ordered around turkey day)...but finally got the right size in the officers chinos. I had to size down to a 31 (usually a 32) to get them right. By right I mean, to fit me correctly. I have some sweaters and they are hit or miss with sizing. It depends on the weave and style. I'll have to third or fourth the req. to call their customer service people...they were great in finding me a pair of the officers chinos in the right size and even sold them to me for the sale price I had on the pair I had to return.

3. zissou

zissou Well-Known Member

How about a pic in a J. Crew sweater? It's not that I don't trust your word, but I almost feel I have to see this to believe it.
    Here you go... picture of me in a sweater and shirt, both small. Keep in mind the shirt is all wrinkly from being worn under a sweater all day, which is why the sleeves look all crazy in the photos. Again, for reference, I am 6'2" and 165lbs. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Median

Median Well-Known Member

Best thing is to go to a store and try stuff on in the category you're interested in.

Or just be prepared to return things if they're not quite right after ordering online.

5. thedamnscott

thedamnscott Well-Known Member

I'm 6'5" 200lb, 42 chest, and a J Crew Large Tall fits me as well or better than any other sweater I've tried on. They hardly make any sweaters in that size, though.

I find their sweaters run on the shorter side though, both their large and xl sweaters are far too short on me, which isn't the case with sweaters from BB or BR that I own.

Zissou, nice elbow combs.

6. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Zissou, those pieces look great on you, man! You wear them well.

I deduce a couple of things: Your have a much slimmer build than I have. And you must like a snugger fit than I do. In some ways, this is what a medium looks like on me, but I don't feel comfortable there, mostly because I feel I need some room in the pits and the shoulders.

All this goes to say, I guess, that sizes and measurements are only starting points at best.

7. zissou

zissou Well-Known Member

Thanks, Robert. I do have a slim build. 17.5" shoulders on shirts/sweaters is perfect for me, and my true chest measurement is 38". Yeah, I pretty much like clothes to be as slim as possible (I think it suits my build) without being short, tight, or restricting in any way. I was amazed that J Crew smalls fit me so well.

8. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Chest measurement must be the key. I'm at 42-43. And unlike you, I think a slightly looser fit suits my build (without being long or too boxy).

9. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Well-Known Member

im 6,3, normally a 16-36 in shirts, 44 in jackets, and got a large in the J crew chambray work shirt, that fits pretty much "perfect". Sleeves are long enough, shoulders perfect.

10. Mexicorn

Mexicorn Well-Known Member

11. zissou

zissou Well-Known Member

No, sleeves are fine until I lift my arms above horizontal.

12. JW1

JW1 New Member

Ok, seems like you guys have been helpful, so here's another JCrew sizing question:

I am 5'8" tall and 145lbs. I usually wear a 38" sized suit jacket, which has to be taken in just a bit in the body (unless it's made in Italy, where I guess the cuts are a bit less boxy). I wear approximately a 31(waist)/30(inseam) sized pant. My dress shirts are 32-33" sleeve. Most of this puts me in the "small" jcrew size category, except the chest measurement.

The JCrew men's small is listed as chest 35-37 and the medium is 38-40. I am about to order a chunky sweater and don't want to be swimming in it, so I plan to get the small. Sometimes I get burned by doing this, depending on how the vendor actually cuts their garments (remember, a 38" suit jacket has to be taken in on me if it's cut one way, but fits perfectly off the rack in the chest if cut another way).

I'd just like to know if it's likely the jcrew garment in small will fit me or if it will be too small. The small size is better for sleeve length too (at 32-33 according to their size charts). The chest is the issue, really.

Thanks!

13. ClareQuilty

ClareQuilty Member

Ok, seems like you guys have been helpful, so here's another JCrew sizing question:

I am 5'8" tall and 145lbs. I usually wear a 38" sized suit jacket, which has to be taken in just a bit in the body (unless it's made in Italy, where I guess the cuts are a bit less boxy). I wear approximately a 31(waist)/30(inseam) sized pant. My dress shirts are 32-33" sleeve. Most of this puts me in the "small" jcrew size category, except the chest measurement.

The JCrew men's small is listed as chest 35-37 and the medium is 38-40. I am about to order a chunky sweater and don't want to be swimming in it, so I plan to get the small. Sometimes I get burned by doing this, depending on how the vendor actually cuts their garments (remember, a 38" suit jacket has to be taken in on me if it's cut one way, but fits perfectly off the rack in the chest if cut another way).

I'd just like to know if it's likely the jcrew garment in small will fit me or if it will be too small. The small size is better for sleeve length too (at 32-33 according to their size charts). The chest is the issue, really.

Thanks!

^ You have the same height and waist as me, and your weight is about 5 lbs more . I wear J. Crew small, which fits well. Medium would probably be too big for you, as it is for me. Jacket measurements tend to be bigger in the chest, which would explain that discrepancy. Also, the sweater material likely will stretch.

14. White Lotus

White Lotus Well-Known Member

I am 5'7 and 145 lbs do I still get a small for the J Crew slim shirts?

15. Hovk

Hovk Member

Hi!

I'm about 145 lbs and 6' tall. Do you guys think that I should aim for a J. Crew size S or M?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013