1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

J Crew Sale

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by seen, Jun 4, 2006.

1. seen

seen Well-Known Member

Their sale was great, but I was a bit late and most stuff were sold out. When's the next time they'll have a similar sale? Are there any other places with similar sales (JCrew's dress shirts was at 19.99)?

2. nerdykarim

nerdykarim Well-Known Member

Their sale was great, but I was a bit late and most stuff were sold out. When's the next time they'll have a similar sale? Are there any other places with similar sales (JCrew's dress shirts was at 19.99)?

What sale are you referring to? If I remember correctly, they had their big sale later in the summer. Online, at least, (which is where I buy most of my J. Crew) they gave you an additional 25% then an additional 40% off all the sale items. If you can wait a month or two, you may find what you're looking for.

Alternatively, you can just get some of their dress shirts online at 19.99 right now. There may be a 20% off coupon floating around -- if a valid coupon pops up, this is the best place to find it.

3. seen

seen Well-Known Member

Thanks, but most of their shirts are out of stock. Need to be a bit early on the next sale.

4. josepidal

josepidal Well-Known Member

How are their regular dress shirts? Pretty much like the regular Ralph Lauren oxford button down shirts in quality, the ones that go for $30-40 at Filene's? (We're not talking about the Thomas Mason shirts, right?)

5. metaphysician

metaphysician Well-Known Member

How are their regular dress shirts? Pretty much like the regular Ralph Lauren oxford button down shirts in quality, the ones that go for $30-40 at Filene's? (We're not talking about the Thomas Mason shirts, right?)

I've found all Polo Blue Label shirts to have better construction and fabric than the J Crew shirts, even the oxfords that are frequently marked down at Filene's. Filene's also frequently marks down higher-priced Blue Label shirts to between $34.99-$40 (at least at the Filene's Basement in Washington, D.C.), and those are a better bargain.

I don't think that the Thomas Mason-fabric J Crew shirts are anything special. They struck me as more of a marketing ploy, similar to brands splashing "Loro Piana" and "Zegna" labels on garments because the garment uses material sourced from those mills, but without matching construction.

6. josepidal

josepidal Well-Known Member

I found them good enough for $30 because I can't get the fabric where i live and I've found it damn comfortable after a 12-16 hour workday.

The low end Polo buttondowns, on the other hand, are made in my country and I've even been able to snag a couple at less than $4. I just wish they had overruns of the non-buttondowns as well.