1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

J Crew S/S 10 Discussion

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by deveandepot1, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

I wore my RC (red chambray) into the store today. SA told me it looks great and all the SAs want one, but he said it's on "exclusion" (the SAs can't buy it) because it's so popular.

2. evilbananas

evilbananas Well-Known Member

3. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

How much did they make?

4. scribbles

scribbles Well-Known Member

One of the buttons on my red chambray started coming loose. I figured it would be an easy fix and I just had to re-sew the button, but the shirt material itself had torn and needless to say I am quite disappointed as I have only worn the shirt once and it was only for a few hours. I'd return it, but the odds of me getting another medium are quite slim. Oh well. I guess I'll patch it up from the backside and hope it adds to the "broken-in" feel of the shirt.

Anyway, I've got a 1-time use coupon for 20% of with no min-$ (good at jcrew.com only). It's not worth it for me to use since I get the student discount and its cheaper to use the student discount than use the 20% off and pay for shipping. PM-me and it's yours.

5. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Well-Known Member

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    I am sure around $25 to $30.

6. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

One of the buttons on my red chambray started coming loose. I figured it would be an easy fix and I just had to re-sew the button, but the shirt material itself had torn and needless to say I am quite disappointed as I have only worn the shirt once and it was only for a few hours. I'd return it, but the odds of me getting another medium are quite slim. Oh well. I guess I'll patch it up from the backside and hope it adds to the "broken-in" feel of the shirt.

Anyway, I've got a 1-time use coupon for 20% of with no min-$ (good at jcrew.com only). It's not worth it for me to use since I get the student discount and its cheaper to use the student discount than use the 20% off and pay for shipping. PM-me and it's yours.

Jesus, what'd you do in it? Get in a barroom brawl?

7. evilbananas

How much did they make?
    $20-30 for watch (can't remember how much I paid for mine at Walmart 4 years ago) + $20 for strap (or $15 if they went for the two for $30, and assuming they spent enough for free shipping) = $31-$16 profit per watch selling at $66. Not bad for buying a watch and then just attaching another wristband [​IMG].

8. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

So they basically sold it on ebay for what they paid for it? Hmmmmmm....

9. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Well-Known Member

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

PM sent. [​IMG]

I would still try and exchange it. They can call around for your size and get it for u. Sometimes there are bad items in runs.

10. tsmurfenator

tsmurfenator Active Member

Does anybody else like the washed vintage oxford button down shirts that JC makes? I have gotten version of these from the outlet store (which I like - the only item I buy from the outlet) before but never saw them in much variety in the retail or the catalog. Today I was in La Cantera store and they had these in about six different colors including of course blue and white, and also a really beautiful pink, as well as lime green, and several different stripes. I felt like buying the whole rack - one of each color (could serve as my entire shirt wardrobe) but the buttons seemed particularly cheap ... Ugly transparent plastic buttons, which just does not match the vintage of the shirt at all. The washed vintage blue shirt I got from last season has much nicer buttons, and even the outlet versions have nicer buttons although they have the logo. They have many very nice shirts this season but noticed the ugly buttons on all of the shirts, not just these oxfords. Unfortunately these shirts do not seem to be in the catalog.

Also is it normal for someone who is 6'2" 180 lbs to wear M in JC shirts. That is always what I have worn for JC but the SA asked me if I was L or XL ..... A little surprising to me.

11. Blog Marley

Blog Marley Well-Known Member

I got a recent J. Crew catalogue in the mail, did they come with a coupon code? I looked at everypage and mine seems to not have one. (Also I'd appreciate it if someone could send me a spare code)

12. evilbananas

I got a recent J. Crew catalogue in the mail, did they come with a coupon code? I looked at everypage and mine seems to not have one. (Also I'd appreciate it if someone could send me a spare code)

They are random for the catalogues.

13. flyindarkness

flyindarkness Well-Known Member

PSA: There's a bunch of the utility jacket at South Coast Plaza J Crew in black and olive, for 99.99
    including xs, but not much smalls...

14. Stylin-1

Stylin-1 Well-Known Member

I'm going to put my slim fit Tompkins pants up on B&S. I should've bought the 31's. They're the light grey, 30x32. Just took the tags off today (still have them) and wore them for the afternoon. $50 shipped.

15. scribbles

Jesus, what'd you do in it? Get in a barroom brawl?

Yea.. unfortunately. Not particularly proud of my actions. I'm not usually the violent type but dude had it coming to him.

But on a serious note, I spent the day in class at grad school, which consisted of sitting basically motionless through two 2 1/2 hour classes (it's about as fun as it sounds). Apparently that was just a bit too much to handle for my beloved red chambray. I normally find J. Crew stuff to hold up really well which is why I was a bit surprised/ disappointed.

16. scribbles

Does anybody else like the washed vintage oxford button down shirts that JC makes? I have gotten version of these from the outlet store (which I like - the only item I buy from the outlet) before but never saw them in much variety in the retail or the catalog. Today I was in La Cantera store and they had these in about six different colors including of course blue and white, and also a really beautiful pink, as well as lime green, and several different stripes. I felt like buying the whole rack - one of each color (could serve as my entire shirt wardrobe) but the buttons seemed particularly cheap ... Ugly transparent plastic buttons, which just does not match the vintage of the shirt at all. The washed vintage blue shirt I got from last season has much nicer buttons, and even the outlet versions have nicer buttons although they have the logo. They have many very nice shirts this season but noticed the ugly buttons on all of the shirts, not just these oxfords. Unfortunately these shirts do not seem to be in the catalog.

Also is it normal for someone who is 6'2" 180 lbs to wear M in JC shirts. That is always what I have worn for JC but the SA asked me if I was L or XL ..... A little surprising to me.

I agree that the buttons aren't the best, but that's a quick fix. Any competent tailor should be able to replaced the buttons with relative ease. Based on your weight and height you may want to try the tall sizes, but I highly doubt you are a L or XL. I'm 6'1" a shade over 200lbs, and relatively muscular (1 year removed from being a D-1 athlete and still workout 5-6 days a week) and a medium fits me great. That being said, I'm relatively new here so you may want to defer to someone with a bit more expertise.

17. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Yea.. unfortunately. Not particularly proud of my actions. I'm not usually the violent type but dude had it coming to him.

But on a serious note, I spent the day in class at grad school, which consisted of sitting basically motionless through two 2 1/2 hour classes (it's about as fun as it sounds). Apparently that was just a bit too much to handle for my beloved red chambray. I normally find J. Crew stuff to hold up really well which is why I was a bit surprised/ disappointed.

Must have just gotten a bad one. Have only worn mine a few times, but it's holding up well.

18. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

I agree that the buttons aren't the best, but that's a quick fix. Any competent tailor should be able to replaced the buttons with relative ease. Based on your weight and height you may want to try the tall sizes, but I highly doubt you are a L or XL. I'm 6'1" a shade over 200lbs, and relatively muscular (1 year removed from being a D-1 athlete and still workout 5-6 days a week) and a medium fits me great. That being said, I'm relatively new here so you may want to defer to someone with a bit more expertise.

It depends on your body shape as well. I'm 6'1, around 190, toned but not muscle-bound, and I have to go with Large in almost everything from J. Crew. My shoulders are fairly broad. A medium is passable but I feel constrained in it, because of the width at the shoulders/armpit-to-armpit, and it doesn't drape as well as a Large.

For whatever reason, a large in J. Crew is almost always a perfect fit.

19. scribbles

Must have just gotten a bad one. Have only worn mine a few times, but it's holding up well.

Very good possibility. I've had too many good experiences to assume poor quality. I'll see if I can get a replacement, if not, I'm make small patch and move on with my life. It'll add "character"

And like I said, I am hardly an expert. I can only speak on my particular experiences and what's worked best for me (I tend to prefer my clothes on the fitted side) When in doubt, try it on for yourself and see which size you like best.

20. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

SO over in WAYWT JackM got some flak for copying a look out of the J. Crew look book. I tried to come to his defense, but you can imagine how that went over.

Anyway, it got me curious... how many of you take ideas straight from the catalog or look books, etc.? I do this all the time. I see combinations (colors, styles) etc in the catalogs and previews that I might not have thought of and use them.