1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

J Crew S/S 10 Discussion

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by deveandepot1, Dec 30, 2009.

1. tonio028

tonio028 Well-Known Member

Seems like you might want to size down to XS in the madras. In the top pic, the shoulders seams are falling off your shoulders.

I had a difficult enough time finding this colorway in the small. Although the shoulder seams do fall off the shoulder, the overall fit I think is still within the tolerance of a shirt that fits me well, its just more a relaxed vibe which is what I am going for in the madras. I think I'll be thankful for the more conservative fit come the hot summer days on the beach or grilling it up and sippin' drinks and such.

2. seany

seany Well-Known Member

I also own the XS red chambray, that thing fits you well. The madras also fits you well, but is a lil more blousy. I also buy XS's in shirts that are not their "Secret Wash".

3. MarkI

MarkI Well-Known Member

4. dareone

dareone Well-Known Member

can someone please hook me up with some measurements for a small and medium in both the madras and chambrays?

i've did a search, but it was to no avail. thanks!

5. Gruntle

Gruntle Well-Known Member

So I ended up snagging the red chambray and the blush madras a little over a week ago or so. I dig the cotton/linen fabric on the chambray as it gives some nice texture. Fits slim in the body, but baggy in the sleeves as typical of the Crew. I picked up the madras from member Staver (thank again, man) and I'm liking the fit on this for summer style as well, a bit more relaxed I believe than the chambray. Here are some fit pics I took. Check my profile for my stats if you're interested.

Red Chambray in XS
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Blush Madras in S
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just got the same two shirts in the mail.I def need to size down to a L in the madras.

6. xchen

xchen Well-Known Member

can someone please hook me up with some measurements for a small and medium in both the madras and chambrays?

i've did a search, but it was to no avail. thanks!

You can call J.Crew customer service and they have measurements on all the items.

7. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Well-Known Member

So I ended up snagging the red chambray and the blush madras a little over a week ago or so. I dig the cotton/linen fabric on the chambray as it gives some nice texture. Fits slim in the body, but baggy in the sleeves as typical of the Crew. I picked up the madras from member Staver (thank again, man) and I'm liking the fit on this for summer style as well, a bit more relaxed I believe than the chambray. Here are some fit pics I took. Check my profile for my stats if you're interested.

Red Chambray in XS
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Blush Madras in S
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I saw this madras in store and really liked it. Looks good on you; makes me want to think about looking at it again.

I think of madras as being worn on hot days outdoors, getting rumpled and generally abused. So a looser fit seems fine to me.

8. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Well-Known Member

New Arrivals up.

Fireman's jacket looks nice.

It looks more conservative than I'd thought from the earlier spring preview pics, which is a positive to me. Hard to tell much detail from the colors on the website, but looks better than I expected. Also made of the Millerain cloth, so must feel like the other Millerain they have on sale now.

But.... $268 is too much. I wonder how this will sell. At best, I'd take my chances and see if it ends up on sale later.

9. gnatty8

gnatty8 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Curse my ruddy skin tone, I could never pull that off and it looks great..

10. Foblander

Foblander Active Member

Red Chambray in XS
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Blush Madras in S
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My size small madras seems to fit snug on me and I believe my body type is a bit thinner than you. Weird.

11. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Well-Known Member

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
  12. kidtwist91

kidtwist91 Well-Known Member

Hey everyone... ive posted on this thread before but I am about to pull the trigger on the XL Chambray and the XL Madras. I am 6'4 and usually wear a LT (or MT).

I have two questions that are holding me back....

Will the body length be long enough for me?

and once i get it taken in by my tailor will the sleeves look too disproportionate?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

13. Jr Mouse

Hey everyone... ive posted on this thread before but I am about to pull the trigger on the XL Chambray and the XL Madras. I am 6'4 and usually wear a LT (or MT). I have two questions that are holding me back.... Will the body length be long enough for me? and once i get it taken in by my tailor will the sleeves look too disproportionate? Your help is greatly appreciated.
    I'm about 2" taller then you and normally wear Tall sizes too. What I would recommend is you go to the store and try them on in an XL. I have found that some JCrew XL sizes are long enough in the sleeves and body and some are not. I don't have experience with those two shirts, but since they are normal sizes most stores should have them. Otherwise you can always buy them online and return them to a store if they don't fit. You can get the sleeves altered to be a little slimmer if needed and you feel they look disproportionate. Just find a good tailor. EDIT: Can you report back to this thread once you have tried them on? I am curious as I want both of those shirts too. [​IMG]

14. synovoid

synovoid Well-Known Member

fireman jacket $268
    levis trucker jacket $128

I'd like to try these two in store.

15. saelan

saelan Well-Known Member

kinda underwhelmed with the fireman's jacket. too conservative. the price is what i expected, but i'd certainly be more tempted if it was cheaper.

16. Whiskey

Whiskey Well-Known Member

Anyone here have any experience with the Vintage slim-fit garment-dyed jean (on sale for $70)?
    http://images.jcrew.com/erez4/erez?s...if&tmp=prdDtIm

This caught my eye the other day: http://www.epauletshop.com/servlet/t...elvedge/Detail but I am thinking the JCrew denim might be a cheaper alternative to get close to the same look.

good luck finding the slim guys in other sizes. i've been looking everywhere for a denim in a khaki color. you might want to check out the levis 511? trouser in cimmaron color.

17. Jr Mouse

good luck finding the slim guys in other sizes. i've been looking everywhere for a denim in a khaki color. you might want to check out the levis 511? trouser in cimmaron color.

I actually prefer a slim-straight fit to a slim-skinny. Are the JCrew vintage slims more on the skinny side then straight?

18. a-rock

a-rock Well-Known Member

My size small madras seems to fit snug on me and I believe my body type is a bit thinner than you. Weird.

If you look at the captions above the photos you'll notice that he's wearing the S madras but XS chambray. So he was sizing up on the madras.

I have both of those same shirts in S and the madras is definitely slimmer. I was actually debating whether to return that blush madras. It's still sitting in the bag with tags on. Hand second thoughts but after seeing the pics, makes me want to try it on again once I get home.

19. saelan

saelan Well-Known Member

tonio, are the collar buttons on the chambray the same size as the rest of the shirt, or are they smaller? I've noticed that in all the fit pics I've seen, people are leaving that collar undone. I ordered one that won't be here until April, but I had a mind to maybe get a tailor to put proper buttonholes in it. Hidden-button collars seem silly to me.

20. scribbles

scribbles Well-Known Member

Has anyone else seen the Baird McNutt linen camp shirt in a mint/ seafoam color? I saw it at the Lenox Mall J. Crew here in Atlanta. They also had the pinpoint oxford in a similar color, although it was much more washed out hue. Neither is available on-line and I'm kicking myself for not grabbing it. The camp shirt looked amazing.