1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

J Crew S/S 10 Discussion

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by deveandepot1, Dec 30, 2009.

1. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Well-Known Member

is it ok to wear a shirt underneath? is it true to size?
    Yes, OK to wear a shirt. Just not layering over something thick like a sweater. I find it true to size, but I am not in the SF size-down camp, either. Plus, with the extra inside padding, it fits a little snugger. That reminds me - it seems to feel a little bulky when you are wearing it, actually. But it's warm and good for throwing something on quickly when running outside.

2. Chris Nosnah

Chris Nosnah Member

Found some Timex military watches online for around $30 shipped. Looks similar to the J.Crew Timex, but a few different details.
    Is this the one your talking about? I think this looks nicer than the jcrew one it just needs a jcrew strap lol. They are pretty much the same. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. xchen

xchen Well-Known Member

That would be it.

4. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Is this the one your talking about? I think this looks nicer than the jcrew one it just needs a jcrew strap lol. They are pretty much the same.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have this as well as the wal-mart one I picked up recently. This above has a much smaller face than either the wal-mart or the j. crew. It's sharp looking but I didn't like the small face. Plus the way the pins are situated, there's not much room to slide in a replacement strap. The strap that comes with it isn't a Nato strap but just goes from the pins.

5. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Well-Known Member

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    You all need to save up and buy a real watch instead of these cheap Timex's.

6. Guus

Guus Well-Known Member

I bought a bunch of stuff for the summer. Got the lightweight Cargo shorts for 20$(Sweet).

I'm Ticked-off about them bringing the price back up from items that were on sale (the OBCD white shirt, The Bowery Messenger bag, etc). Oh well, I'll get those next time.

7. Narwhale

Narwhale Well-Known Member

I have this as well as the wal-mart one I picked up recently. This above has a much smaller face than either the wal-mart or the j. crew. It's sharp looking but I didn't like the small face. Plus the way the pins are situated, there's not much room to slide in a replacement strap. The strap that comes with it isn't a Nato strap but just goes from the pins.

Could you tell me where you found this one? My wife is looking for a military-style watch with a smaller face.

8. synovoid

synovoid Well-Known Member

j crew have a similar one: Kids' TimexÂ[​IMG] Camper watch
    http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Crew...0445/20445.jsp

Is this the one your talking about? I think this looks nicer than the jcrew one it just needs a jcrew strap lol. They are pretty much the same.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. a-rock

a-rock Well-Known Member

That pretty much is the same watch as the JCrew Kids Timex. It's just a recolor of the Timex Camper.

10. Guus

Guus Well-Known Member

11. willy cheesesteak

willy cheesesteak Well-Known Member

+1

12. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Well-Known Member

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    I'm not saying you need to get a $5K Omega watch, but really there are much better options out there then a $30 Timex's from Wal-Mart. Look at your watch like you would a pair of shoes. If you save up a little you can get something a lot nicer that will last for years.

13. BeerBaron

BeerBaron Member

Yeah, a cheap pair of dress shoes will be unwearable in a year but it's not like a Timex is going to just crap out on you. It'll perform the exact same function as a watch that cost 10 times as much. Maybe this is heresy, but for some reason I've always thought of a watch as more jewelry than clothing so it's not really a priority for me.

14. Chris Nosnah

Chris Nosnah Member

So you cant change the straps on this black one at all?

15. Guus

Guus Well-Known Member

No, you can. http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...27773&page=335 ( ^ Scroll down) See, I did it. You have to cut off the original strap. The watch is nice, but every time I wear it, I feel like I'm 7 years old again.

16. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

I found it VERY tight. Not much room between pin and casing. The major drawback, tho, to this watch is the small face.

17. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Sunwashed red chambray shirt arrives. Verdict: perfect.

I eat my words. And my dirty old sneakers as well. The color is more saturated than I thought it would be. The fit is perfect. & it's soft as hell.

18. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Well-Known Member

The major drawback, tho, to this watch is the small face.

It is actually about 50% bigger than what the GIs wore.
    The J.Crew Timex is huge compared to the Marlin and other earlier Timex watches.

19. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

It is actually about 50% bigger than what the GIs wore.
    The J.Crew Timex is huge compared to the Marlin and other earlier Timex watches.

Sorry, I'm talking about the black face Timex "camper" watch. That watch is small.

20. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Oh what a snob. Timex IS a real watch. They're good looking and unpretentious and they last.